New Shaw Customer, Internet 300 Wifi

gordon1111
Grasshopper

Hello all,

i just got Bluesky tv and internet 300 installed last week and my roommate and I had the Hitron wifi router moved to his bedroom so he can hard wire his PS4 as he was not able to play with the wifi as it kept dropping for him. We had it moved yesterday now wifi on 5G keeps on showing between 2 to 3 wifi bars on my Apple devices. My questions are:

1) is it okay to use wifi if the signal keeps dropping as I know for example LTE on my cell phone can have only 1 bar yet still be fully functional? 

2) is there anything Shaw can do regarding this as the MTS wifi modem was in the exact same spot the Shaw one is now and we had no problem with signal dropping at all like it is now. The regular wifi is working great it is only the 5G one that is giving me problems. I wouldn’t have a problem with regular wifi but it is not as fast as the 5G one and If I just use that one I wouldn’t be using all the bandwidth I am paying for. 

3) Is there maybe a firmware issue that is making this router not as strong as it could be? 

Thank you in advance for your help. I am greatly enjoying my Shaw experience as I am only having issues right now with this problem.

Gordon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: New Shaw Customer, Internet 300 Wifi

shaw-tony

Hey gordon1111,

Thank you for reaching out! I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Shaw experience and I can certainly understand the frustrations of poor WiFi connectivity. Your Internet will continue to be functional with no issues under 2-3 bars of WiFi signal. There are some things that we can try, to see if it will help resolve the issue. You can change the WiFi channel of the 5G network to see if it will help improve the connectivity with the steps here. I have some more details here on how to best optimize your WiFi connections. As for the firmware, that should not affect the WiFi signal strength and I am not aware of any plans for an update. Give those steps a try and let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help