Jump to solution

Thank you mdk I appreciate your knowledge, as Im newly re...

SimonAitch
Grasshopper

Thank you mdk I appreciate your knowledge, as Im newly retired I'll be looking into your recommendations.  

HaHa I guess my expensive computer might not be as good as I thought !

Cheers !

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi rstra, yes i tried my laptop and phone and laptop was...

SimonAitch
Grasshopper

Hi rstra, yes i tried my laptop and phone and laptop was around 70 and phone in the 50's.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It is likely that your network card is gigabit, especiall...

rstra
Grand Master

It is likely that your network card is gigabit, especially on a computer that new. Is your computer wired, or wireless? Could be an old network cable that is causing the problems, if it isn’t cat 5e or 6.

Do you have any other devices you could use to to test your speed?

Jump to solution

>> I'm on internet 300 and getting speed of around 100....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>> I'm on internet 300 and getting speed of around 100. 

That is a strong indication that your Ethernet cable is "CAT 5", which is limited to 100 Mbps.

It also is a weak indication that the network adapter in your computer is configured to connect *ONLY* at 100 Mbps. Another person on this forum had a similar "limited-to-100" problem, until he updated the software device-drivers for the network adapter -- which fixed his problem.

> I guess my expensive computer might not be as good as I thought !

It probably is a great computer.

Were you testing the laptop's speed through the same Ethernet cable, or via wireless? Which phone?

Note that the Shaw SpeedTest, when running on an laptop, will produce smaller numbers, because the processor inside the computer is not fast-enough to run the SpeedTest at its full speed. It's hard to win a drag-race when your 3-cylinder engine (Ford EcoSport) is competing against a Tesla. Fun example: Tesla versus Ferrari V-12

Jump to solution

I tested the laptop via wireless and i used 2 phones Noki...

SimonAitch
Grasshopper

I tested the laptop via wireless and i used 2 phones Nokia 6.1 and Samsung A20. Anyhow first things first, change the ethernet cable. Will update my progression.

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Checked the cable it says 5e standard so Im presuming tha...

SimonAitch
Grasshopper

Checked the cable it says 5e standard so Im presuming that is ok ?

Looked at ethernet adapters, there are so many. Would this be upto the task ?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AQM8586/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ANO99AFAXRIXA&psc=1

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- that adapter will be fine, when connected to a "USB 3....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SimonAitch -- that adapter will be fine, when connected to a "USB 3.0" port on your new computer. Look for an icon with both the USB "pitch-fork" and a small "SS" ("super speed") marker, which indicates the fastest USB adapter.  But, I still think that any "new" computer will have a 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter built-in to the motherboard.

Jump to solution

Yes I've got the 3.0 ss, one final question some of the e...

SimonAitch
Grasshopper
Yes I've got the 3.0 ss, one final question some of the ethernet adapters
 have multi USB slots, presumably for mouse , keyboard, etc. Is it beneficial
 to purchase one of these instead ? (Im purchasing a cat 6 cable also. Will try it out with both.)
0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So I installed the adapter and WOW what a difference, sti...

SimonAitch
Grasshopper

So I installed the adapter and WOW what a difference, still using 5 e cable getting speeds approaching 200. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is good advice. I had a wire-connect laptop maxing d...

kazsulec
Grasshopper

This is good advice. I had a wire-connect laptop maxing download at 100MBs on Shaw 300. The (oldish) laptop's ethernet port was the limiting factor. I switched the cable to a 1GBs USB adapter, and bingo, I was getting 300+MBs downloads.

Still wrestling with intermittent internet dropouts between the modem and Shaw, but that's a different battle.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help