I had a chat with a Tier 2 tech who advises that Comcast...

rickatk
Master

@mgbruce @mdk @rstra 

I had a chat with a Tier 2 tech who advises that Comcast has not opened the 160Hz band. As such the 160Hz option is greyed out. This sounds like a change made after a recent firmware upgrade. This change also has to do with overall service stability.

The tech conceded there isn’t a lot of information available to them partly because this is being controlled by Comcast and because they haven’t received many calls on the subject.

There is a provision for a firmware roll back that would have to be requested in writing. Also the mesh/pods would have to be disabled. Apparently there is no guarantee enabling the 160hz channel would yield better download speeds. 

0 Kudos

It probably changed with the same firmware that locked ou...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk It probably changed with the same firmware that locked out the channel selection, and a hope that it would drive down calls in to the call centre.

0 Kudos

Indeed. WiFi is tricky and the potential for interference...

rickatk
Master

@rstra Indeed. WiFi is tricky and the potential for interference and other causes resulting in poor performance is considerable. All this High Speed Fibre Gig marketing is presumed the customer is using ethernet connection. Unless you have very modern gear with high speed WiFi  6 capabilities there will be limitations.  I am accepting the multiuser stability side of the equation with my XB7 Fibre Gig network. Really I can’t complain with my setup, it is very stable and doesn’t choke when multiple users are at play. All my gear is connected over WiFi except for one network speaker that sits right next to the XB7.

Anyone interested in unlocking the 160Hz band should contact Shaw directly and plead their case for a firmware downgrade. 

0 Kudos

Okay, let's continue this discussion a little further. I...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Okay, let's continue this discussion a little further. I have had Gig speed internet(XB7) since June and I definitely get a full gig of download speed to my house. I have done a number of "concurrent" tests with 3 devices and I get over a gig download, the upload is not so great. I use an Ethernet connection on my PC as well as 2 new phones on WIFI. What bugs me is that the ethernet speed alone, nothing else connected, NEVER gets close to a Gig download on my PC(Surface Pro). I have had about 850 a couple of times, never since mid August. When I had 300 MBPS speed, It would bounce off about 500 and then settle down at 300 MBPS. The bottom line is, with the value plan, this maybe worth it, BUT when it expires, not so sure. I have lots of devices connected, but the usage is minimal. Comments? Techs have been to my residence 3 times and everything is good. I still have OLD coax cable coming into the house from the neighbor hood box, and Shaw just install REAL fiber down the street!

0 Kudos

-- NEVER gets close to a Gig download on my PC(Surface Pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- NEVER gets close to a Gig download on my PC(Surface Pro). 

Open the Windows Task Manager before starting the Shaw Speed Test, and switch to its Performance tab.

Then, launch the test, and switch back to that tab, to see if your CPU is running at 100% busy.

If so, then your computer is not fast-enough to run the test at its full speed. So, you get lower numbers.

Also, watch the "network" graph, to see what "peak" speed you get, during the test.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I have run the speed test with T...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I have run the speed test with Task manager and the most obvious thing is the CPU runs at about 90% only for a second or 2, BUT the network graph speed is LOWER than what the Shaw Speed test shows. Again, the question that I need to answer myself is: Is the Gig speed Internet worth the price after the value plan expires. Right now, I would say NO, as 500 MBPS is all that I get and it is more than adequate. Any other comments? Thanks

0 Kudos

I have attached a copy of the Ethernet graph from Task Ma...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I have attached a copy of the Ethernet graph from Task Manager. Ethernet graph og Gig speed.JPG

0 Kudos

Can anyone please comment on the graph that I posted? My...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Can anyone please comment on the graph that I posted? My PC is NOT running at 100% and the actual speed that I am getting is consistently at about 500MBPS through an Ethernet connection. Right know Shaw is offering 500MBPS at $20 a month cheaper than my value plan for Gig speed. I may as well have them change me to 500 MBPS as that is all that I am receiving. Help Please.

0 Kudos

-- the "peaks" on your graph show that you are getting "b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- the "peaks" on your graph show that you are getting "bursts" of around 900 Mbps for downloading, and around 100 Mbps for uploading. This speeds are what Shaw advertises for their Fibre+ Gig service -- up to 940 Mbps for download, and 100 Mbps for upload.

In "Task Manager", under the "View" tab, increase the update-speed of the graph, to increase the sampling-rate.

Shaw has a promotional offer for non-Shaw customers: 500 Gbps, lower price, and the XB7 modem. I don't know if existing customers can "break" their existing contract (and pay a cancellation fee) and then subscribe to the promotion.

However, since you say that you recently upgraded from 500 to 1000, you should be able to "downgrade" back to 500, without "breaking" your contract. Maybe. Only Shaw Billing can give you a definitive response.

0 Kudos

This the latest graph with high speed selected. As I said...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

This the latest graph with high speed selected. As I said before, If I would have known that this would be the speed of the Gig versus what I would not have upgraded. I'll call Customer service on Monday and speak to some one about the 500MBPS promo. Let me know if this graph tells you anything. Thanks Ethernet spped third.JPG

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help