When they grey out it means your modem is going to brick...

alainjax
Grasshopper

When they grey out it means your modem is going to brick soon, I've had multiple XB6 modems do that. The results are your start to get sluggish speeds wifi drops etc afterwards. The only correction i've figured out was to literally go to a shaw outlet and say tech told you to bring the modem out to swap for a new one and when you'd get  home with the router it wouldn't be greyed out anymore. After reading more it sounds like a lot of you guy's think you have beefy wireless network cards but they aren't. I've got a super computer for gaming, and could not reach anywhere above 500 while having gig on a xb6, I had to go out and buy this, https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/home/wifi/adapters/a7000/ to hit  800. Now with the white XB7 modem, To get above my 800 I went and bought a ASUS wifi Network card. https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking-IoT-Servers/Adapters/All-series/PCE-AX58BT/ and with that white modem(xb7) and this card im over my gig i cap at 12-1300 and they advertise 1000.  Now if you're hardwired, make sure you don't have the old standard 1gbs ethernet card, you wont get 1000 the max is 1000 and its usually a little less so id say like 8-850. food for thought for you guys. 

0 Kudos

-- you wont get 1000  That "1000" is a large power of "10...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@alainjax -- you wont get 1000 

That "1000" is a large power of "10".

The Shaw Speed Test reports as maximum of "940", as a large power of "2".

Compare to measuring with a yard-stick or a meter-stick -- the units are slightly different, because 1 meter is not identical to 1 yard.

0 Kudos

I think the graph shows you get pretty **bleep** close to 1 gi...

AngryCustomer4
Grasshopper

I think the graph shows you get pretty **bleep** close to 1 gig speeds, and that you shouldn't be complaining.  I hate Shaw, but you're showing proof you're getting exactly what you're paying for, and complaining about it for some reason.  

0 Kudos

Fun Fact - The greyed out settings actually have nothing...

AngryCustomer4
Grasshopper

Fun Fact - The greyed out settings actually have nothing to do with it being new modem.  The modem just needs to be reset, and every time it completes the factory reset process, it will briefly allow you to adjust the bandwidth settings.  It's a short window before the settings are greyed out again so you have to be quick, but you can do it.  

Your idea to just go in and demand a new router though, I certainly hope it has cost Shaw a ton of headaches and extra expense, so I totally support your decision, but for people too lazy to go to the store, just reset the xb7, and try to beat the clock.  

Other fun fact - The xb7 doesn't actually have a reset button like every other modem ever made.  It's got the one WEP or WPS or whatever it is on the back, and you hold that until the light turns green, or until your finger goes numb and you have to start all over again.  Some tech's say it's a deeper reset than the factory reset button on 10.0.0.1.  Others say it's the exact same thing.  Others say it's not a reset button at all.  I think they're all just making it up as they go, but that's what worked for me.   

0 Kudos

--  I am  over my gig  cap at 1200 - 1300 and they advert...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@alainjax --  I am  over my gig  cap at 1200 - 1300 and they advertise 1000

That "1000" is a power of 10. But, computers measure as a power of 2.  So, 1,000,000 000 bits is reported as 940 "megabits".

If you measure the connection-speed between any "AC" wireless adapter and the XB7 cable-modem, you will find that the two devices send/receive at 1200 megabits/second. Then, if you measure the connection-speed that your Shaw Fibre+ Gig service is delivering to your cable-modem, you will see 940 megabits/second. So, any incoming traffic to your cable-modem is at "940", but the traffic from the modem to your device is sent in "1200" bursts, with gaps between packets. Thus, the connection to your WiFi adapter is never more than 83% "full" of bits.

If you were subscribed to Shaw Fibre+ 300, then the connection to your WiFi adapter is never more than 25% "saturated".

0 Kudos

You can contact Shaw and request access to 160Hz. They wi...

rickatk
Master

You can contact Shaw and request access to 160Hz. They will do it. 

0 Kudos

I just wish SHAW could figure out WTF is going on with my...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

I just wish SHAW could figure out WTF is going on with my service!!!
5 techs last summer/fall. Finally got my gig service back in November, only to lose it again this month and it drops back down to 300 down instead of 900+ down. My up speed is 100+ constantly. 1 other person on Shaw in my apt block, everyone else is on MTS.

I've had the XB7 modem replaced 3 times with no difference, because that's all the techs can think of doing.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos

Just switch to mts aka bellmts and everyone will have mts...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

@BvrHunter 

Just switch to mts aka bellmts and everyone will have mts with no lag and sow speeds.  and cheaper.  good deal  

0 Kudos

Looking at their prices, Shaw is cheaper by $15 for Tv/In...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

Looking at their prices, Shaw is cheaper by $15 for Tv/Internet/Home phone bundle.

So that's not an option and besides I still have 18 months left on my contract with Shaw.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help