-- that "113 Mbps" is the tail-end of the "upload" part o...

mdk
Grand Master

@winterpeg -- that "113 Mbps" is the tail-end of the "upload" part of the Speed Test. So, your "upload" speed is 13% above what Shaw is obligated to give you.

I just noticed that the graph shows "Realtek USB", which implies that you have an external adapter.

Is the adapter connected to a USB 2 socket (black-coloured tongue inside the socket), or to a USB 3 SuperSpeed socket (blue-coloured tongue inside the socket) ? I wonder if that makes a difference ?

0 Kudos

It is a USB 3 SuperSpeed socket. That's how it connects.

winterpeg
Grasshopper

It is a USB 3 SuperSpeed socket. That's how it connects.

0 Kudos

-- found online: SuperSpeed or USB 3.1 Gen 1 mode (previo...

mdk
Grand Master

@winterpeg -- found online: SuperSpeed or USB 3.1 Gen 1 mode (previously known as USB 3.0) has a bandwidth of 5Gbps.

That is 5 times faster than a Shaw Fibre+ Gig connectioni (1 Gbps).   So, that device probably is not a bottle-neck.

Do you have (or can you borrow) a notebook computer with a built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter, and run a Speed Test on it?

0 Kudos

This latest graph is through WIFI, I get the same as thro...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

This latest graph is through WIFI, I get the same as through the Ethernet.WIFI speed test.JPG

0 Kudos

I do have an older HP Pavilion Dv 7. I haven't turned it...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I do have an older HP Pavilion Dv 7. I haven't turned it on since I got the current Surface Pro, which was about 3 years ago.

http://media.flixcar.com/delivery/minisite/show/8/en/599752

It definitely has the  built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter. I will dust it off and see if it will power up. I had just upgraded the HP to Windows 10 and had lots of problems, hence me buying the new Surface Pro. 

0 Kudos

-- your HP Pavilion's specifications see to be: Intel Cor...

mdk
Grand Master

@winterpeg -- your HP Pavilion's specifications see to be: Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB SATA (5400 rpm)

Its CPU speed should be just fast-enough to run the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed.

If it were my computer, 6 GB is a "sweet spot", but I would replace the disk-drive with a SSD drive, which is advertised as "up to 5 times faster than a 5400 disk-drive".

Note that since you have activated Windows 10 on the computer, Microsoft knows the product-key that was used to activate. So, you can Download Windows 10, and reinstall Windows on the newly-attached SSD. When installing, click "I do not have a product key". This will cause the Installer to "call home", and retrieve the product-key, and use it. Simple!

A "clean" install may address your "lots of problems" issue.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
Need more help?