OK, great. Tried again with Shaw support chat but same is...

langley834721
Grasshopper

OK, great. Tried again with Shaw support chat but same issues with bridge mode.
Now I can't acces the modem GUI anymore via 10.0.0.1....factory reset....but still, can't access the GUI after bridging...

Are you sure about the "no issues" with Arris XB6?

0 Kudos

Couple hours later, can access the modem GUI via 10.0.0.1...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Couple hours later, can access the modem GUI via 10.0.0.1 now, no idea why not earlier....

Chatted in with Shaw, they said there are no differences between Arris and Technicolor XB6 modems as far as bridge mode is concerned.
They are aware that the modem works better if bridge mode is disabled... 

0 Kudos

If they know bridged mode is an issue why no give us an a...

thekaz
Grasshopper

If they know bridged mode is an issue why no give us an alternative modem that will work ? not everyone wants to use their crappy firmware strangled routing

Exactly my thoughts. There are "simple" DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabi...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Exactly my thoughts. There are "simple" DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modems out there, ARRIS SB8200 SURFboard for example...
Also and this beats me: Why can Americans get their own cable modems and we are "forced" to rent from the ISP? Makes no sense or does it?
In the States you can get the new XB7 Technicolor CGM4331COM / Arris TG4482 - Wireless AX(Wi-Fi 6) modem now so my guess is that Shaw will eventually follow? You complain and be given the XB7? Its good for 2.5 Gbps...

In a way this should be simple but its not and again shows that at least to me the lack of competition also plays a role here.
We don't have Telus Fiber on our street (yet) and where else can I go but Shaw, ergo, everything moves fast and the solution? 
At least this keeps us busy right now and I guess all this is not the end of the world, speeds are not Giga but at least plenty Mega 🙂

0 Kudos

-- if they know bridged mode is an issue ... I have an is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@thekaz -- if they know bridged mode is an issue ...

I have an issue with my automobile -- it uses gasoline, because it's not a Tesla.  🙂

However, it still works acceptably-well for me. How often do you "need" 1000 Mbit/second?

Also, the "issue" seems to be that the cable-modem delivers 600+ Mbit/second when bridged, but 1000 Mbit/second when not bridged.

I have yet to find a web-site that can "push" a steady-stream of data to my computer at over 600 Mbit/second.  Further, if there are 6 computers in my home, each simultaneously receiving a steady-stream at 100 Mbit/second from 6 different servers, the "pipe" is flowing 600 Mbit/second, and the "pipe" theoretically has room for 4 more 100 Mbit/second connections.

-- Why can Americans get their own cable modems and we ar...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@langley834721 -- Why can Americans get their own cable modems and we are "forced" to rent from the ISP? Makes no sense or does it?

To me, it makes no sense to pay my hard-earned money to buy any technology that I know will be obsolete within a few years, when Shaw is "renting" (at a net monthly price of ZERO) the current (and future) technology?

Would some people call it a "cash-grab" by Shaw, if they were to sell their PVRs to their customers?

I like the idea of returning the "free" cable-modem to Shaw as soon as I quit being a Shaw customer, and not having my own "no-longer-connected" cable-modem, gathering dust, or trying to sell it on Craig's List.

Good point and I agree. Gigabit internet is way more than...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Good point and I agree. Gigabit internet is way more than most need. For most I would say 100-300Mbps is plenty.
For us its all internet. Phones are on IP, TV streaming services....tons of devices, IOT, computers...printers, home security....

Also agree. This issue is only about not getting Gigabit when bridged so if you use the modem at its core purpose incl. routing and Wi-Fi you are fine.

My main issue is that Shaw offered this Gigabit service right when my 2 years promotion was about to expire and me thinking, well, Gigabit is better than the old 600Mbps but then I find out that there is some kind of weird issue with bridge mode, and I haven't fully figured this out either...

Basically you see that Porsche add, you know you will not use it to its full capabilites, but you still want to be ensured you could go fast if you wanted...
So I want my speed in bridge mode to be around 90% of the advertised Gigabit even when I power-cycle the modem, right now that is not the case. Speeds go down to max. ~630Mbps...
And of course I am not thrilled it took me basically 8 hours to eventually find out that there are issues with bridge mode...

0 Kudos

Also an interesting perspective to look at it and I think...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Also an interesting perspective to look at it and I think I could agree if we were talking modem only. I never wanted to own my own cable modem, now the XB6 that Shaw offers is not what I want, its a total overkill and I think there are quite a few people who have a Gigabit home network in place already and do not want to hand over routing to their ISP.

All our home networking with computers, printers, Network Attached Storage, cameras, IOT.....is on a Asus AX router.
I replace the cable modem and it takes 2 minutes to have everything back online without having to reconfigure the ISP provided modem...

The only option with Shaw is a combined Cable Modem + Router + Wi-Fi Access Point.
If I was given the choice I would gladly rent a simple Gigabit cable modem for $10/month.
I think we can agree that we all have different needs and in my case I want to have control more than anything else. 

0 Kudos

Arris XB6 gets gigabit in Bridge Mode with no issue, one...

LKYeLKYe
Grasshopper

Arris XB6 gets gigabit in Bridge Mode with no issue, one thing I find it annoying is the fan though, definitely noticeable (jet taking off) compare to Technicolor. 

--  I want my speed in bridge mode to be around 90% of th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@langley834721 --  I want my speed in bridge mode to be around 90% of the advertised Gigabit even when I power-cycle the modem, right now that is not the case. Speeds go down to max. ~630Mbps...

I would want the same thing.

But, how did you get the bridged cable-modem "up" to its Gigabit speed?  Please share the "how", so that others on this forum can do the same.

Why does power-cycling the modem "lose" speed?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help