-- After reading this thread I thought I'd try switching...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mark250 -- After reading this thread I thought I'd try switching from bridged mode to gateway mode to see if this would help.  When I did this I lost internet connection

That is to be expected, when changing your configuration.

Your Shaw cable-modem and your computers use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

When each sends a request to a DHCP-server, the response contains both an IP-address and a "lease". That lease defines how many minutes that you will be allowed to use that IP-address -- very "dynamic".

By changing the configuration of the modem to "bridge" it, its existing DHCP information will not be used -- traffic will start to travel over the "bridge" (like driving the bridge from Windsor to Detroit) directly to your computer.

Your computer's acquired DHCP information will no longer be usable by your computer -- a loss of connection, until you force your computer to send a new DHCP-request, and to receive new, and different, values. Rebooting your computer will force it.

0 Kudos

New modem but after 2 days speeds are "down" again to ~65...

langley834721
Grasshopper

New modem but after 2 days speeds are "down" again to ~650Mbps...was working great for a couple days at full Gigabit speeds.
XB6 bridged.
Checked router log but not sure what it exaclty means, could indicate Shaw DHCP trouble, maybe resets their Gigabit configuration?
Same ~650Mbps when directly connecting PC to re-booted modem via CAT6....

Jun 26 03:16:46 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jun 26 03:16:46 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Jun 26 03:16:46 nat: apply redirect rules
Jun 26 03:16:51 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Jun 26 03:17:41 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.

Chatted in with Shaw. Said I should disable bridge and connect PC to modem directly. Exactly the same "slow" speeds...

Only way to restore Gigabit was to press reset on the modem for ~15s and set up modem from scratch...

This time and since I have lots of time this week (vacation) I left the modem bridge mode disabled and also left the Wifi on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but in "minimun" configuration. Wireless N only at 20MHz and manually set the channels so they won't interfere with my own router Wi-Fi... DHCP lease time: Forever. UPnP: Disabled
When I disable both Wi-Fi's then that triggers five (5) hidden SSID's from the modem MAC address to show up. 3 in 2.4GHz and 2 in 5GHz, apparently those are needed for Blue curve or TV functionality...I don't like it....

Now I will monitor speeds and then see what happens. Ultimately I want to bridge the modem for router DDNS functionality to be there....

Speeds via Asus RT-AC86U router are great right now both on iPad and PC:

iPad (Wi-Fi 5)
iPad.jpg

PC (CAT 6 Ethernet)
Dell Speedtest 2.jpgDell Speedtest 1.jpg

0 Kudos

I have a Technicolor modem in my living room with my main...

Joeysta
Grasshopper

I have a Technicolor modem in my living room with my main tv wired directly into modem as well as a Philips Hue light controller.  I recently switched from Internet 300 yo Fibre+ Gig.  Running the Okla Speedtest on my iPAD Pro (5 ghz, ac, 80 bandwidth) I get about 440 download speed.  I then went into the modem settings and changed the 5 ghz channel bandwidth to “20/40/80/160” from “20/40/80” and ran Okla Speedtest again.  This time i get about 540 download speed!  So now on to my PC that i have in another room, so wireless.  This PC is custom built using a Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570 motherboard which imbeds an Intel 2 channel ax wireless at 160 bandwidth.  Also has a AMD 3950x cpu though not important to this.  With the modem 5 ghz bandwidth changed to “20/40/80/160” and running Okla Speedtest, i get 1080 download speed, 27 upload, 9 ms ping!  That’s 1,080 download speed utilizing all available bandwidth of the Fibre+ Gig service.  I was thinking beforehand of purchasing an ax capable modem and to put modem in bridge mode but no reason to.  From what i am reading here, you may be better off purchasing an pcie Intel ax board for you pc and change bandwidth on the modem as i did.  Be interested in your views.  I am alpha testing thd new MS flight simulator on my PC and that is condtantly downloading scenery, live weather, and live air traffic so having 1080 download speed is excellent.  

Super it works for you. Myself using CAT 6 Ethernet and a...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Super it works for you. Myself using CAT 6 Ethernet and a dedicated router, simply prefer a home LAN also for NAS and printers, wired Access Points...nothing beats wire for me but each use case is different of course.

This thread is mainly about making Fibre + Gigabit work reliably in bridge mode at Gigabit download speeds...

0 Kudos

I apologize as i am a bit off topic.  Just after reading...

Joeysta
Grasshopper

I apologize as i am a bit off topic.  Just after reading the comments it seemed some were going to bridge mode plus own router to ensure they get full gig download speed over wireless.  I wanted to add to the conversation that its possible via another approach which may help them.  I may have misunderstood the reasons why some were attempting bridge mode.  

Bridge mode, at least in my case is to get the functional...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Bridge mode, at least in my case is to get the functionality from a state of the art router. I use an Asus RT-AC86U for DDNS and ease of use/features. Remote WOL for home PC, DDNS for remote alarm setting... 
Generally I find it easier to separate modem from router and Access Points. Replace the cable modem and you are up and running in no time...
Shaw makes it even more complicated by making some modem router functions only available via their website https://internet.shaw.ca/ and not on the modem page directly via 10.0.0.1 (port forwarding I think but not 100% sure...)

I have a theory on the modem not seeing Gigbit after assigning a new IP when rebooting in bridge mode...
Yesterday Shaw did some work in our area, so at 3am the WAN went down, after that the modem assigned a new IP to the router > max speeds 650Mbps.
Factory restored modem > Gigabit speeds.
Now using with bridge mode off for a while, turned off modem Wi-fi broadcast and after hours the five (5) hidden SSID's disappeared as well....

I will leave as is for a week or so but will eventually need to switch to bridge mode again...

0 Kudos

Given the amount of outage during the midnight, it’s craz...

LKYeLKYe
Grasshopper

Given the amount of outage during the midnight, it’s crazy you’d go through the amount of reset needed in order to get achieve gigabit in bridge mode.

So far the only solution for 100% gigabit bridge mode would be running Arris XB6.

0 Kudos

"So far the only solution for 100% gigabit bridge mode wo...

langley834721
Grasshopper

"So far the only solution for 100% gigabit bridge mode would be running Arris XB6"

Shaw is saying that is not correct. Both Arris and Technicolor are identical modems but different chipsets (Intel vs. Broadcom).

You are saying that because it works for you or because you work for Shaw and therefore are certain your comments are validated?

0 Kudos

Swapped modem 3 times, Arris has stable gigabit bridge mo...

LKYeLKYe
Grasshopper

Swapped modem 3 times, Arris has stable gigabit bridge mode, no waste time on change setting.

Started with Technicolor having trouble reaching gigabit, contacted Shaw to get replacement.

1st replacement unit Arris had loud fan noise thought something is wrong with the modem (gigabit works bridge mode).

2nd replacement Technicolor unit had same gigabit problem.

3rd replacement unit Arris again, same noticeable fan noise (gigabit works bridge mode)

As long you’re able to tolerate Arris fan noise, then go for it. (Stable gigabit under bridge mode, but annoying fan)

0 Kudos

Are people “bridging” and using wired connections?

rickatk
Master

@langley834721 wrote:

Super it works for you. Myself using CAT 6 Ethernet and a dedicated router, simply prefer a home LAN also for NAS and printers, wired Access Points...nothing beats wire for me but each use case is different of course.

This thread is mainly about making Fibre + Gigabit work reliably in bridge mode at Gigabit download speeds...

Are people “bridging” and using wired connections?

TALK TO US
We're here to help