I think you may have something. I have 2 splitters in my...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I think you may have something. I have 2 splitters in my wiring closet that were installed by Shaw over the years. One has a power source. I have 4 TVs, phone and one Internet outlet for the modem in the house. I still do NOT understand WHY after Shaw initialized Gig service, that I then received less than the 600MBPS speed that I had before. Mysteries, hopefully Tuesday's Shaw visit will make everything good!

0 Kudos

The device with the power source is an amp, it would be n...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg The device with the power source is an amp, it would be nice if the tech could reconfigure to remove it. If the drop runs through a conduit, it shouldn’t be difficult to replace, but hopefully that isn’t required. Which TV boxes do you have? 

0 Kudos

I have the Shaw Gateway with 2 portals as well as an olde...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I have the Shaw Gateway with 2 portals as well as an older standalone Arris HD unit.

The main line comes in and then is split into 3, one is the Internet, another the phone and then it takes the other line and goes to a 4 powered splitter. So, the Internet and phone is NOT running off the powered splitter, only the TVs.

0 Kudos

This morning, day before Shaw comes out to fix, I am gett...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

This morning, day before Shaw comes out to fix, I am getting about about 200MBPS speed on my Gig Internet. https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/4f12e290-c79e-11eb-8c99-5dd9885710b2

0 Kudos

not very good speeds, i hope they will fix it today.  let...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

not very good speeds, i hope they will fix it today.  let us know what they find.  

0 Kudos

-- I am getting about about 200MBPS speed  Experiment: by...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- I am getting about about 200MBPS speed 

Experiment: bypass that 1-to-3 splitter, to get: wall-plate --> cable-modem --> your computer

and use Shaw Speed Test to measure the speed. Any faster?

Relay the results to the Shaw technician; it might be relevant.

I presume that your computer's processor is "fast" (over 2.5 Ghz per core) so that the Shaw Speed Test is running at its full speed, not "slowly", to produce a lower download speed.

0 Kudos

Any once again another Shaw agent can't read or understan...

torfin44
Grasshopper

Any once again another Shaw agent can't read or understand the question.  So they answer something totally wrong.  Why do you bother.

0 Kudos

You pay for 300, but in reality I don't see much over 50...

candacejesson
Grasshopper

You pay for 300, but in reality I don't see much over 50 Mbps.

0 Kudos

-- I don't see much over 50 Mbps I am paying Shaw for 300...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@candacejesson -- I don't see much over 50 Mbps

I am paying Shaw for 300 download (and 15 upload) through my Hitron modem, and get over 310 for download (with over 16 for upload) on my fast desktop computer. On my laptop (1.8 Ghz processor), the Shaw Speed Test is running at 100% CPU, and reporting only about 200 for download.  So, is your CPU fast-enough to run the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed?

If I were to upgrade from the Hitron to a newer cable-modem (BlueCurve XB6 or XB7), I would expect up to 100 Mbps for upload.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help