Jump to solution

Absolute hogwash . By Shaw that is . My computer is a qua...

cjjohnst738
Grasshopper

Absolute hogwash . By Shaw that is . My computer is a quad core macbook . The 300 Mbps speed I pay for NEVER EVER runs at that speed . In fact last night it was 1.7 Mbps and after rebooting the router it galloped up to 9.7 Mbps . Shaw is trash and their employees do NOT care . I cant wait until my contract is up and I can go back to Telus. 

Jump to solution

lmfao. "could be your computer"  did you not read my post...

chippyuser285
Grasshopper

lmfao. "could be your computer" 

did you not read my post where my speeds are exponetially better since leaving shaw?

i have 2 computers, a maxxed out 2019 macbook pro and

Mac Pro 5,1 using ethernet

x2 6-core 3.46ghz Intel Xeon westmere (12 core)

128GB 1333mhz RAM

x3 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

x4 6TB 7200rpm HDD (backups only)

i saw no different when i upgraded from 300 to 600 because they dont do anything. yes i saw my download speed on a web speed test go up to 600, but in terms of ACTUAL USAGE... steam downloads went nowhere, origin downloads went nowhere, ping had no change... i was paying extra for some fancy numbers that did literally nothing. the infastructure is out-dated, and all ive had agents do is rave about how good the internet SHOULD be. well now im at novus where the internet is actually good, i have no issues. my computer sustains data at over 1gb/s downlaod and upload, im uploading youtube videos in seconds. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

3 seconds ago lmfao. "could be your computer"  did y...

chippyuser285
Grasshopper

lmfao. "could be your computer" 

did you not read my post where my speeds are exponetially better since leaving shaw?

i have 2 computers, a maxxed out 2019 macbook pro and

Mac Pro 5,1 using ethernet

x2 6-core 3.46ghz Intel Xeon westmere (12 core)

128GB 1333mhz RAM

x3 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

x4 6TB 7200rpm HDD (backups only)

i saw no different when i upgraded from 300 to 600 because they dont do anything. yes i saw my download speed on a web speed test go up to 600, but in terms of ACTUAL USAGE... steam downloads went nowhere, origin downloads went nowhere, ping had no change... i was paying extra for some fancy numbers that did literally nothing. the infastructure is out-dated, and all ive had agents do is rave about how good the internet SHOULD be. well now im at novus where the internet is actually good, i have no issues. my computer sustains data at over 1gb/s downlaod and upload, im uploading youtube videos in seconds. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

this is the same bull**bleep** response i expect from a shaw r...

chippyuser285
Grasshopper

this is the same bull**bleep** response i expect from a shaw rep. "it is very difficult to find websites that can psuh that data"... "are you sure your computer can handle the output?" like im some kind of moron. usually people who are paying for top of the line internet know what theyre doing. 

SHAW 300 VS NOVUS 1GB -- ACTUAL REAL WORLD TESTS, ON MY COMPUTERS.

Steam: 30mb/s -> 145+mb/s

origin: 20-40mb/s -> 220+mb/s

ping in WoW: 48ms -> 18ms

Price: $110/month shaw -> $61/month Novus

fast.com speed test: ALL ETHERNET

shaw300: 250mb/s download / 986kb/s upload

novus1gB: 1.1gb/s download / 1.4gb/s upload

shawspeed test: ALL ETHERNET

shaw300: 173mb/s download / 1.2mb/s upload

novus1gb: 1234mb/s download / 1486mb/s upload

shaw is garbage

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- paying over $2500 per year. I have had Shaw Internet s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cjjohnst738 -- paying over $2500 per year.

I have had Shaw Internet since 1998 (maybe earlier). So, 22 years -- 264 months -- at an average of $100/month -- is $264,000. Increase it to an average of $150 per month (TV & phone & Internet) totals $392 thousand.

Have I gotten value for my investment?  Probably. Should I have instead purchased a Ferrari or shares in Microsoft or Apple or Intel? Maybe. 🙂

Should I have invested $100 per month into an RRSP, and let its value compound for 22 years, to have nearly $1 million?  Yes!

> I suspect that MANY MANY Shaw customers have these low speed problems but do not bother to report it .

Suspect? Know? Can prove?

> Or ,in fact we ,as customers do report it and Shaew do NOT report it publicly . 

What "call-centre" for any business divulges such information, except to its Board of Directors?  None.

You have taken the correct action -- reporting it in this public forum. Now, I recommend that you contact Shaw (online-chat or telephone) to get free trouble-shooting.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> Steam: 145+ > origin: 220+ These numbers imply that "In...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Steam: 145+

> origin: 220+

These numbers imply that "Internet 300" should deliver these speeds, and that the more-expensive "Internet 600" would not have been any faster than "Internet 300", and that "Novus 1000" is much more speed than those web-sites currently can deliver.

Have you used the Windows "tracert" command-line utility to show the network path from your computer to those servers?  You'll probably see that most of the routers on the "path" are *NOT* managed by NOVUS.  So, there is nothing that NOVUS can do to make those "other" routers any faster, to deliver Internet traffic to you at your 1000 mbps connection.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

those are certainly slower than expected speeds. Checking...

shaw-tony

@cjjohnst738  those are certainly slower than expected speeds. Checking your account the signal looks solid with no errors to report. The signal in your area looks good as well. Are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi only or are direct ethernet connections to your Macbook slow as well? 

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I'm having issues with speeds and connectivity with the B...

jcsieben
Grasshopper

I'm having issues with speeds and connectivity with the BlueCurve service. Paying for Internet 300, but getting 65Mbps/12Mbps. Not happy, but will likely move to Telus just because on contract end in Sept. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

are you noticing these speed issues over WiFi or direct e...

shaw-tony

@jcsieben are you noticing these speed issues over WiFi or direct ethernet connections? The signal to your equipment looks good with no errors showing up. What are some troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- getting 65Mbps/12Mbps. That is the maximum speed for a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jcsieben -- getting 65Mbps/12Mbps.

That is the maximum speed for a "Wireless N" network adapter. A newer "Wireless AC" adapter should receive at 1200 Mbps -- if you are subscribed to "Fibre+ Gig" or "Fibre+ Gig 1.5" service.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help