Jump to solution

-- ever since I got am email saying my email was locked b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BrutusB -- ever since I got am email saying my email was locked by Canada Revenue Agency, I have been getting spammed non stop.

A statistician would say that correlation does not imply causality.

Many of the spam messages that I received were received before CRA announced their action:

Capture.JPG

> I believe [the CRA] were hacked and this is the result.

I do not believe your conjecture.

The news reports that I have read indicate that people used the same credentials on the CRA web-site as they used on some less-secure web-sites. So, based on what they have discovered about hacked ID/passwords on those other sites, they have blocked the hackers from using that ID/password information on the CRA web-site.

> Shaw should be able to put much better filters on emails! 

What properties do the spammer's message have that could be targeted by Shaw's filters? Certainly, words like "widow" and "African prince" and "millions" and "dying" and "donate to charity" and "keep 40%" are not present. What is present is spurious apostrophe (') and underscore (_) characters,  However, I see:  Reply-to: support@puredigitalprods.com in many of the spammer's messages. This domain-name was registered in December 2020, for the minimum period (1 year).  So, you can add a filter for "puredigitalprods" with a low chance of blocking legitimate E-mail.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

interesting. When we were having issues at work with spam...

BrutusB
Grasshopper

interesting. When we were having issues at work with spam our IT firm was able to take care of it. We were  getting inundated with spam daily. They were able to stop it. Since they are in every  week or so. I will have to ask what they did?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Why is Shaw not doing anything is what Id like to know....

dblinney
Grasshopper

Why is Shaw not doing anything is what Id like to know.  I keep forwarding them to  reportspam@shaw.ca but they are doing bugger all.  I'm thinking of switching service providers if they cant do better than this.  I even got one today from SHAW!!!!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Why is Shaw not doing anything is what ID like to know...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dblinney -- Why is Shaw not doing anything is what ID like to know. 

Unless you are employed by Shaw, you probably do not know what Shaw is doing.

Also, publishing what Shaw is doing only allows the spammers to try different methods.

> I keep forwarding them to  reportspam@shaw.ca but they are doing bugger all. 

Really?

> I'm thinking of switching service providers if they cannot do better than this. 

That will not help.  I have noticed an increase of unwanted E-mail to my account on a different network.

> I even got one today from SHAW!!!!

Instead, what you probably got was a "spoof" of Shaw, probably asking you to "verify" your password or your credit-card information. Show us the E-mail headers from that message.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yup. Wish I didn’t have to use Shaw email. I have a few a...

bkushner
Grasshopper

Yup. Wish I didn’t have to use Shaw email. I have a few accounts linked that are hard to switch off this crappy service.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Wish I didn’t have to use Shaw email You don't. Other...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bkushner -- Wish I didn’t have to use Shaw email

You don't. Other E-mail programs, such as Microsoft Outlook, and Thunderbird, can access multiple IDs/passwords.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

We have another thread open regarding this issue. I'm cur...

shaw-tony

@cbmetzner @Oceansidegal @esham @BrutusB @dblinney @bkushner 

We have another thread open regarding this issue. I'm currently engaged with our email team regarding this matter and will report updates on our main thread here.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Completely agree. I spent an hour on the phone with a 20...

Laurenmail
Grasshopper

Completely agree. I spent an hour on the phone with a 20 year old “dude” who could not help in any way. So frustrating!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Let us know!

Laurenmail
Grasshopper

Let us know!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Soon I hope! I just keep reporting them, but they are the...

Laurenmail
Grasshopper

Soon I hope! I just keep reporting them, but they are the same as the ones others are getting here as well.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help