-- All of Western Canada is now routing through your serv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TK11 -- All of Western Canada is now routing through your servers, there's a traffic jam LOL

Not really "all". As I have shown, traffic originating in British Columbia (chains are still mandatory on the Coquihalla Highway) is still routing from Vancouver to Seattle and to Oregon (or to RIOT GAMES in Illinois).

It seems to be a problem between Edmonton and Calgary that is causing "extra" traffic to be routed through Winnipeg.

Same here. It's definitely Shaw as my friends who are wit...

jojibee
Grasshopper

Same here. It's definitely Shaw as my friends who are with Telus doesn't experience this issue. It's just us with Shaw. I might just switch with Telus this April since my contract is ending. Shaw is a dog**bleep** for doing this and hopefully they lose a lot of customers because of this

It's definitely Shaw as my friends who are with Telus doe...

jojibee
Grasshopper

It's definitely Shaw as my friends who are with Telus doesn't experience this issue. It's just us with Shaw. I might just switch with Telus this April since my contract is ending. Shaw is a dog**bleep** for doing this and hopefully they lose a lot of customers because of this

It's not just valorant that's having latency issues smart...

jojibee
Grasshopper

It's not just valorant that's having latency issues smart Beep wanna be. Every other games too like dota 2 for example. Used to average at 30-40ms on west now I get 80-90ms. 

-- please show some "traceroute" outputs for your connect...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jojibee -- please show some "traceroute" outputs for your connection from your location to those servers, using the Windows command-line utility "TRACERT".

In what city are you living?

Do you think that Shaw maliciously changed something, to make it worse for you?

I think that it is possible that Shaw has a "backbone" network problem, maybe on their fiber-optic cable from Edmonton to Calgary, that is causing all traffic leaving Edmonton to be directed to Regina or Winnipeg, for "forwarding" on into those game-servers in the USA.

0 Kudos

It is a Shaw issue. However the majority of tech support...

HarryY
Grasshopper

It is a Shaw issue. However the majority of tech support will refuse to acknowledge this issue. Speaking from experience one customer service rep told me the issue should be resolved within 1-2 months. The sad thing is it seemed to be a cookie cutter answer so I would hang up the call. Running a simple trace route will show that you’re being routed around eastern Canada and eastern United States all the way back to your west server destination. R.I.P. hopefully you don’t have long left on your contract. Cheers!

0 Kudos

-- a simple trace route will show that you’re being route...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@HarryY -- a simple trace route will show that you’re being routed around eastern Canada and eastern United States 

Personally, I would not call Winnipeg as being in "eastern Canada", nor Chicago as being in "eastern USA".

Anyway, routing from Vancouver to a web-hosting company in Edmonton shows:

Tracing to 4web.ca [199.96.31.131]

10 ms  rc1bb-be20.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.75.245]
27 ms  rc3so-be6-1.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.78.37]
42 ms  rc3sc-be110-1.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.76.62]
57 ms  rc2ar-be1.ed.shawcable.net [66.163.70.78]
56 ms  66.163.70.85 (this IP-address is assigned to Shaw)
57 ms  h64-141-127-18.bigpipeinc.com [64.141.127.18]
57 ms  www02.4web.ca [199.96.31.131]

namely Vancouver -> Calgary -> Winnipeg -> Edmonton -> Shaw's "BigPipe" company -> 4WEB.

I would have expected Vancouver -> Edmonton, without a "detour" through Winnipeg. @rstra -- do you agree?

So, it might be "1 or 2 months" for Shaw to repair their Calgary <--> Edmonton link. Only a Shaw employee can give an official response.

0 Kudos

Yes. And really, phone support people wouldn’t be aware o...

rstra
Grand Master

Yes. And really, phone support people wouldn’t be aware of any routing issues or who to contact to find out. 

0 Kudos

as of 5:00 est today, in Thunder Bay,Ontario my routing a...

norkieman
Grasshopper

as of 5:00 est today, in Thunder Bay,Ontario my routing and pings are back to normal (30-35 CHI) (60 TX) on CSGO and Valorant.. hopefully it fixed for you guys

0 Kudos

-- phone support people wouldn’t be aware of any routing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- phone support people wouldn’t be aware of any routing issues

True.

> or who to contact to find out

False.

A well-trained Shaw Agent should have been taught to ask the shift-supervisor, who can then "escalate" the issue as many "higher" levels as necessary.

But, a competent "network services" employee employed in Shaw's "Network Monitoring Centre" should already have noticed a complete lack of traffic on a segment, and should have opened a trouble-ticket.

So, maybe the "one or two months" is the correct response from the "top-level".

Imagine digging in frozen Alberta ground -- not possible, just yet.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help