-- this doesn't sound like a router problem. Seems like S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jericryannn -- this doesn't sound like a router problem. Seems like Shaw is the issue here 

Well, if you did try the "experiment" that I previously posted, and you still have the problem, then I will agree that the Shaw modem is the problem.  If your issue does not occur while in this experimental configuration, then it seems to be the correct time to try a non-ASUS router.

0 Kudos

Problem is the modem not the router.  I have had several...

TrueBrit
Grasshopper

Problem is the modem not the router.  I have had several Asus routers, all of them stable and good. I upgraded to RT-AX89X two weeks ago, perfect, all fine: seamless.  Then I upgraded from an old Cisco modem to a new Shaw Gateway.  Instant problems, no network devices accessible; really poor security control; inadequate admin interface; and so on.  It's not the Asus router, it's Shaw's modem.  Terrible as a Bridge, only fractionally better as a router.  I'm going back to them to see what else is available. 

0 Kudos

--  I upgraded from an old Cisco modem to a new Shaw Gate...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TrueBrit --  I upgraded from an old Cisco modem to a new Shaw Gateway

Some contributors on this forum have suggested that the XB6/XB7 require a stronger signal than the Cisco.

Contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) and get the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to their box, to view the "signal strength" reaching the modem, because poor signal-strength can be a problem. It might take a site-visit by a Shaw technician to trouble-shoot.

0 Kudos

Not logical it would be signal strength: (a) fine before...

TrueBrit
Grasshopper

Not logical it would be signal strength: (a) fine before the "upgrade"; (b) they ran a direct line to the modem when originally installed; (c) doesn't explain why the new modem prevents me from seeing network devices.  Given were no other changes to the system, everything points to the new Gateway modem being the problem. 

After several days trying to get this thing to work it's going back.  Staff at the local store had reservations about providing it, they commented that it "has had problems."  The time spent trying to get this to work has been unacceptable, perhaps it might be OK as part of a wifi system, but I doubt it: poor security.  As a bridge it's bad, the security and administration control alone make it undesirable.  I'll see what else they've got.

0 Kudos

-- Not logical it would be signal strength: (a) fine befo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TrueBrit -- Not logical it would be signal strength: (a) fine before the "upgrade".

To repeat, the signal-strength that was adequate for the Cisco cable-modem has been reported, in this forum, as being inadequate for the XB6 modem. 

Last week, I replaced my Hitron modem by the XB7 modem, and I have no problem viewing other devices on my LAN. Check that you have enabled Windows to view your other devices on your LAN.

As I think I mentioned, everything worked just fine befor...

TrueBrit
Grasshopper

As I think I mentioned, everything worked just fine before and now it doesn't, so getting Shaw to come in to fix something that wasn't wrong in the first place is a bit like buying a new car only to find it lacks wheels and put it straight into the shop to have major repairs. 

As the only thing that changed is the modem it is clearly the problem.  The Asus RT-AX89X router is excellent and proven, and both the network and Windows were configured and working perfectly beforehand.  While the modem might work for some, Shaw staff know it has issues and comments on this and other forums point to the problem being this modem.

Just a suggestion for you to gently consider, if I may.  Repeating things risks being received as an inferance that the other party is stupid and I most certainly am not.  Then telling me to check something that clearly worked fine beforehand, might be delivered differently by suggesting that "you might want to also re-check..." (which I already had, exhaustively) and be more effectively received than telling someone to do something.  I ran a project saving over $10bn, in my personal experience respect to others goes a long way.

0 Kudos

What exactly is the problem? You have the BlueCurve in br...

rstra
Grand Master

@TrueBrit   What exactly is the problem? You have the BlueCurve in bridge mode and can’t access the internet? Your OP mentions “no network devices accessible; really poor security control; inadequate admin interface; and so on” 

0 Kudos

Have you tried running the XB6 on its own , not bridged?...

rickatk
Master

Have you tried running the XB6 on its own , not bridged?

Why do you need to bridge and extra router into the mix?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help