Still doesn't explain why Shaw disabled the USB ports on...

devincurrie
Grasshopper

Still doesn't explain why Shaw disabled the USB ports on the back of the Hitron router.

Perhaps need to flash the Hitron router using a custom firmware in order to re-enable the USB ports? The ethernet to USB adapter is a possibly but I see on Amazon that these are USB 2 speed, not 3 or higher. I'd like to attach an external USB storage device to the back of the router so it's easier to access the files using any device on the same network.

0 Kudos

-- if I were going to create file-server, I would: find...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@devincurrie -- if I were going to create a file-server for my LAN, I would:

1. find an older desktop "pizza-box" computer that has a license to run Windows 7;
  2. ensure that has a motherboard that has an integrated 10/100/1000 network adapter & supports hardware RAID-1 ("Mirrored") & has 2 "SATA III" ports;
  3. buy 2 SSDs. Cost depends on how much data is to be stored (240 GB? 500 GB? 1024 GB?);
  4. setup the 2 SSDs to run in "RAID-1" mode, for 100% real-time redundancy;
  5. reinstall Windows, and set it to never "sleep" nor "hibernate";
  6. disable automatic Windows Update, and disable anti-virus updates;
  7. install the RAID software, and configure it to send "status" & "alert" messages via E-mail to my ID -- to alert me if one SSD were to fail;
  8. setup Windows to accept a RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) connection;
  9. setup a fully-shared (read/write) folder that is accessible across my LAN;
  10. disconnect the monitor, and run it "head-less";
  11. tuck its keyboard & mouse away, to avoid accidentally using them;
  12. Most important: never use the computer for anything (E-mail, web-surfing, games, social media).

Cost?  Very little for the "old" desktop. Something for the 2 SSDs. A little something for electrical power.

Benefit: RAID mirroring, to protect one's files/folders from catastrophic loss (unlike having just one external disk-drive that could fail). 

Benefit: just one "pizza-box" system, occupying very little physical space.

Benefit: high-speed SSD data-transfer, up to 1000 Mbps over Ethernet.

Hint: physically block access to its power button, to prevent any accidental touch of the button.

Hint: if you are short in Ethernet ports on your router, use a PCI/PCIe WiFi card, or a USB WiFi adapter, and disconnect the Ethernet cable from your router. Try to find a WiFi adapter that supports the high-speed "AC" protocol.  

0 Kudos

One less thing that Rogers would have to support.

rstra
Grand Master

@devincurrie  One less thing that Rogers would have to support.

0 Kudos

Hi mdk, sorry I didn't see your message until now. Thanks...

devincurrie
Grasshopper

Hi mdk, sorry I didn't see your message until now. Thanks for all of these instructions however I'm not looking to setup a file server as I have a NAS device to do this already.

I was specifically asking about using the USB port on the back of the Hitron router so I can plug in a printer so it's accessible to all devices on the same network. My printer do have WiFi option however it's not always reliable so I'd prefer to use the wired connection so it's less of a headache dealing with lost WiFi connectivity.

0 Kudos

Yes possibly. Still strange that ISP would choose to disa...

devincurrie
Grasshopper

Yes possibly. Still strange that ISP would choose to disable the USB port and making it permanently inaccessible rather than allowing the consumer an option to re-enable the USB port. When working with hardware, I usually interact directly with the manufacturer rather than with the ISP. I find it odd that ISP would intervene on deciding on what feature is accessible or not for their consumer devices unless for security reasons.

0 Kudos

As I mentioned in a previous post, they don’t want to hav...

rstra
Grand Master

@devincurrie  As I mentioned in a previous post, they don’t want to have to provide support for that feature. There are inexpensive usb print servers out there.

That's an idea. Thanks rstra!

devincurrie
Grasshopper

That's an idea. Thanks rstra!

0 Kudos

-- My printer does have WiFi option; however it's not alw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@devincurrie -- My printer does have WiFi option; however it's not always reliable so I'd prefer to use the wired connection ...

Why is it not reliable? Do you connect other WiFi devices (such as a smart-phone or smart-TV) to your cable-modem, and are those connections "reliable" ?

Why not USB-connect the printer to one of your "always-on" computers, and tell Windows on that computer to "share" that printer across your local network?  Then, all of your other computers can "find" the printer, and print to it.

0 Kudos

InternetJUSTIN
Grasshopper

Log into your Horton 2250, click into the administration section. Hopefully it'll work for you, just copy and paste this link.

http://192.168.0.1/index.htm#admin_usb/m/4/s/6

You'll notice that the admin_usb was the first change, and then changing the last number to six was the last change to do. 

It doesn't exactly follow the normal numerical order of going up by one number, but number six this can give this ball with the USBs are. 

https://pixeldrain.com/u/iGZVq2j

Good luck!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help