Grand Master? LOL. Of what pay tell? I have CAT 6. Not su...

julesdeb
Grasshopper

Grand Master? LOL. Of what pay tell? I have CAT 6. Not sure where you read that I didn't, can you kindly point that out?

Normally Shaw support ass0umes the worst but here you are! Doing the same. I suggest you verify with me first if I have the 'right' modem and live in the 'right' area. But seeing as how you 'know' I don't I suppose there's no point in correcting you.

Have a nice day and please do not reply to any of my posts and I will do the same. I can't imagine a worse reply than yours, but I don't want to give you the chance to best it.

0 Kudos

-- House Rules It's too bad that you are wasting your tim...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@julesdeb -- House Rules

It's too bad that you are wasting your time on this forum, rather than contacting Shaw, and getting an appointment for a Shaw technician to come to your domicile, and SOLVE your issue.

0 Kudos

Wireless speeds now better down but worse up

MT8014
Grasshopper

TL;DR - After two hardware changes (I.E. modem & wireless adapter) I now get on average 900 Mbps down and 60 Mbps up wirelessly. (Wired performance is almost the same.)

1. Two online sessions with Shaw Tech support. First one via phone ended with - "We have no idea what's wrong and we're sorry." No offer to send a tech to the home. Second one via chat ended with "I have no idea what's wrong with the wireless but I see some dropped packets on the wired so we'll send a tech." The chat tech stated that the XB6 modem should be able to deliver 1.5 Gbps down wirelessly.

2. Tech arrives Friday, does a test using my equipment and his cell phone and confirms the slow speeds. Replaces the modem with a new XB6 and re-runs the tests. Wireless download speeds improve to 300 Mbps but upload drops from 80 to 60 Mbps. The Tech then runs the same tests on his laptop, to rule out a hardware issue with my stuff. Upload at 60 Mbps is same but download improves to 500 Mbps. He calls in to his tech support number at Shaw and the answering party states they'll check it out and call him back. They never do and I have received nothing from them.

3. I replaced the TRENDnet AC1900 USB 3.1 wireless adapter and installed an ASUS AX3000 PCE-AX58BT. Wireless speeds down are consistently averaging 900 Mbps but still 60 Mbps up.

I will contact Shaw Customer Support one last time next week.

0 Kudos

-- I now get on average 900 Mbps down and 60 Mbps up wire...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MT8014 -- I now get on average 900 Mbps down and 60 Mbps up wirelessly. (Wired performance is almost the same.)

A "perfect" wired connection should give you 940 Mbit/second for download, and 100 Mbps for upload, presuming that your cable-modem is physically located in a region where Shaw offers 100 Mbps for upload.

> The chat tech stated that the XB6 modem should be able to deliver 1.5 Gbps down wirelessly.

Yes, if you are subscribed to the "Shaw Gig 1.5" level of service, with the XB6 cable-modem. The new XB7 cable-modem is even faster.  Of course, the wireless network adapter in your computer must be capable of working at the 1.5 Gbps speed. Older wireless network-adapters ("Wireless N") max-out at much-slower speeds.

If you are subscribed to the "Shaw Gig" level of service, the cable-modem receives at 1 Gbps speeds, and sends "bursts" to your device at the 1.5 Gbps speed, with gaps (in time) between "bursts". Compare to trying to fill an outdoor swimming-pool, when there is no nearby water-hose. You would need to fill a bucket from the kitchen sink, and carry the bucket to the pool, and dump it. The kitchen sink could be full of water, but the gaps between each bucket-dump limit the rate of filling the pool.

> Wireless download speeds improve to 300 Mbps but upload drops from 80 to 60 Mbps.

How can it "improve" from a fast 900 Mbps to a slow 300 Mbps ?  It's probable that the tech's wireless device is the "bottleneck", because it has a "Wireless N" network adapter, not the "Wireless AC" network adapter that you have in your computer.

> The Tech then runs the same tests on his laptop, to rule out a hardware issue with my stuff. Upload at 60 Mbps is same but download improves to 500 Mbps.

Still, that is less than what you initially cited. Sigh. A slower processor inside the tech's laptop, especially when throttled-down to a lower speed ("battery-life-extending") when running solely on its battery-power, will produce lower numbers.

I replaced the TRENDnet AC1900 USB 3.1 wireless adapter and installed an ASUS AX3000 PCE-AX58BT. Wireless speeds down are consistently averaging 900 Mbps but still 60 Mbps up.

Yes, you have tested 2 "Wireless AC" network adapters. It seems like the tech had older/lower "Wireless N" network adapters in both their devices.

Contact Shaw ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222) and get the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its internal statistics.  Something is slightly "out-of-spec", to definitely limit your upload speeds.

Are you using the Shaw Speed Test to produce your results? That site gives higher numbers than other "speed-test" sites that have their servers in a different province or USA state.

0 Kudos

i suggest u have at network card of at least 1gbps and ru...

mike7314
Grasshopper

i suggest u have at network card of at least 1gbps and run cat 8 cables u will see a major difference trust me i have maxed out the connection of 970 download and 108 upload on 1 gigabit service google is your friend.

0 Kudos

-- i suggest u have at network card of at least 1gbps At...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mike7314 -- i suggest u have at network card of at least 1gbps

At the current time, network adapter cards that support more than 1 Gbps are expensive.

Also, unless your cable-modem is the new "XB7", which has one "over-1Gbps" LAN port, all the LAN ports on your cable-modem are 1 Gbps ports. So, those ports on the cable-modem limit your speed, even when you have an "over-1Gbps" network adapter card.

Thanks for the tip about using "CAT 8" cables, instead of "CAT-5e" (which maxes-out at 1 Gbps) or "CAT 6" (supports faster-than-1Gbps).

Curious: how long are your CAT-8 cables? Short-as-possible cables are better than "too-long" cables.

0 Kudos

Firstly:Buy cat 8 cables from amazon canada or usa much c...

mike7314
Grasshopper

Firstly:Buy cat 8 cables from amazon canada or usa much cheaper then retail outlets and easier to find. Secondly i swapped out all cables to cat 8 ranging from 6 ft to 50 ft so puter to router router to shaw bx6. Thirdly: I value PRIVACY use your own router so u can change dns and run a vpn if need be  i use cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 needs to be set at computer level and router shaw is nosey.

0 Kudos

Yeah, the Shaw agent I spoke with did not understand netw...

julesdeb
Grasshopper

Yeah, the Shaw agent I spoke with did not understand network bridging. But go ahead and blame my system again and tell me I can do better! LOL

0 Kudos

-- Both the Athlon using Wifi 6 and the i7, which is dire...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@julesdeb -- Both the Athlon using Wifi 6 and the i7, which is directly connected to a high speed port, have similar downloads of 90Mbps and uploads of 85 Mbps. 

Do you have a "CAT 5" cable between the Shaw router and your own router? That would "bottleneck" all the devices that are connected to your router to 100 Mbps (wired or wireless).

Try this:

1. power-off the Shaw cable-modem
  2. disconnect all the Ethernet cables from that modem
  3. use a "CAT 6" Ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to the modem
  4. power-on the modem, and wait for it to fully restart
  5. restart your computer
  6. run the Shaw Speed Test, and report the results. You should get a good download speed (whatever level you are paying for on your Shaw contract) and 100 Mbps for upload speed.

I hope that this is the "best" reply that you requested from me.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help