Keep us updated on your experience, I am thinking about g...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk Keep us updated on your experience, I am thinking about getting the XB7 once available in the southern interior. Might also look at the wireless boxes, just because I like new toys😀. Mostly I just need to have unlimited bandwidth, but our monthly usage is increasing rapidly with all the 4K content.

PS let’s hope that Netflix has faster than “1000 adapters” on their servers.

I definitely like toys too. One problem I encountered was...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

@rstra I definitely like toys too. One problem I encountered was the additional charge for the wireless Bluecurve when I talked to Shaw. While the main unit does 4k for the wired units the nodes don't. Apparently the wireless units all do 4k. The way I  beat that is by having 4k firesticks on all my TV's. Until shaw broadcasts in 4k I will likely not bother to change but I am interested in any differences with the wifi units otherwise. I know Prime and Netflix broadcast in 4k via Shaw and will wait to see what happens with Disney/Hulu before I decide if it's worth even keeping cable for the TV. I am also running Plex with my NAS, and can handle 3 or 4 users with no impact on my service at home, I share with a relative in the North and one in NS and other family in the lower mainland. With all the stuff available online, cable the seems to becoming less attractive.

I also got the FireTV 4K because I couldn’t wait for Disn...

rstra
Grand Master

@rolyat77 I also got the FireTV 4K because I couldn’t wait for Disney+ to show up on BlueCurve.

I think the Shaw wireless tv boxes would work great a don...

rickatk
Master

@rolyat77 wrote:

@rstra I definitely like toys too. One problem I encountered was the additional charge for the wireless Bluecurve when I talked to Shaw. While the main unit does 4k for the wired units the nodes don't. Apparently the wireless units all do 4k. The way I  beat that is by having 4k firesticks on all my TV's. Until shaw broadcasts in 4k I will likely not bother to change but I am interested in any differences with the wifi units otherwise. I know Prime and Netflix broadcast in 4k via Shaw and will wait to see what happens with Disney/Hulu before I decide if it's worth even keeping cable for the TV. I am also running Plex with my NAS, and can handle 3 or 4 users with no impact on my service at home, I share with a relative in the North and one in NS and other family in the lower mainland. With all the stuff available online, cable the seems to becoming less attractive.

I think the Shaw wireless tv boxes would work great a dongle. That of course is up to Shaw and ultimately Comcast.

Alternatively I have always maintained that if Shaw loaded their Blue Curve TV app on to the app sites and provided paid subscription access to their TV and cloud PVR lineup, a wireless tv box wouldn’t be required. I know I would sign up and download the Shaw app to a shiny new Apple TV 4K HDR or two. 

0 Kudos

-- I have approximately 90 devices running at any given t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rolyat77 -- I have approximately 90 devices running at any given time. Couldn't be more pleased with the upgrade...

Amazing. I too would be pleased, until I would get my BC Hydro bill for those 90 devices. Ouch!

> my pc has a 2.5 gig NIC and wifi 6

Microsoft Windows does not tend to simultaneously use both network adapters. While you are running the Shaw Speed Test, what does the "Performance" tab within the Windows Task Manager show as the "active" device(s)?

0 Kudos

I actually have 3 ethernet and 1 wifi 6 on my pc. There i...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

@mdk I actually have 3 ethernet and 1 wifi 6 on my pc. There is the onboard 1 Gb NIC, a 2 x 2.5 Gb NIC.

Just to close down unused bits, I disabled the onboard NIC in device manager as I don't need it at this time. It definitely works with the others and plays nice... 

The NIC with the 2 x 2.5 is running at 1 Gb and 1.55 Gb concurrently. I have the wifi 6 not loading in startup, bit do have the Bluetooth running off that card all 3 show as active and enabled. The speed test, when run on the pc taps out at over 1.5 and if I plug the other ethernet to my nas directly at the same time, I get 2 Gb as I have the NAS aggregated to one ip. If I choose something through the switch, who's is a 1 Gb, I get 1 Gb and 1.5 plus on the other if I run the test concurrently.

I should mention that the vast majority of my devices are switches and lights. Of Scottish heritage, ghost power use upsets me greatly. For example, I have a smart switch in my media room that turns off the TV, .receiver, Playstation, Projector, microwave (Popcorn), an ethernet switch,  strip lights, 2 subwoofers, etc, which saves a fair bit when the room is not in use. In the computer room, all the lights (16) Laser Printer, 3 scanners, 2 monitors, the shredder and a bunch of other devices are handled in the same manor. I have timers on the water coolers, outside lights, cameras, and motion detectors on lights that would otherwise be left on because kids don't pay electric bills till they move out.

Bottom line, between all led lights, smart outlets, power bars, smart switches I end up saving on electricity. I also have the fun of amusing my grandkids with all the tech. Nobody has to touch a switch, and Alexa and Google run everything via voice until 3 kids talk to the units at the same time!!! I am working on that one...

0 Kudos

-- Until Shaw broadcasts in 4k I don't think of Shaw as b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rolyat77 -- Until Shaw broadcasts in 4k

I don't think of Shaw as being a "broadcaster". Until the TV networks start broadcasting more than the occasional BlueJays game in 4K definition, Shaw is just a "carrier" of standard-definition and high-definition channels. But, not being a Shaw "insider", I don't know if their current infrastructure (satellite dishes, et cetera) is "4K-ready".

0 Kudos

you are right, poor choice of words on my part. A carrier...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

@mdk you are right, poor choice of words on my part. A carrier of others programming. 

Did you see the article on Comcast successfully testing 10 Gb up and down on their docsis 4 tests?

0 Kudos

-- No, I had not seen that article before you referenced...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rolyat77 -- No, I had not seen that article before you referenced it.

I'll give it a 4 out of 10 --- 4 Gbit/second, that is.

How many years before this test in a lab reaches COMCAST customers in the USA? Then, add at least a year for Canada.

How many years before web-servers switch from 10/100/1000 network adapters to a much-faster adapter?

0 Kudos

Now that my XB7/1.5Gb setup is getting it’s legs I am pre...

rickatk
Master

Now that my XB7/1.5Gb setup is getting it’s legs I am pretty happy. My Bose devices got fussy dropping airplay for some reason. A little bit of configuring, signing in and out an a gateway reboot correct that problem. I also noted that a number of devices had never signed back on after the intitial boot up of the new XB7 gateway.  Even my wireless TV in the family room which was previously supported with a pod was showing weak signal. After the last boot up and adding the super pod back into the mix signal is excellent a day later. This area of the house is behind a fire stop I believe. Pod support has always improved the reception in that area. 

After a day it appears my Fibre+ 1.5Gb setup, XB7 and Super pod is getting its legs as the techs like to say. 

Overall impression:

The XB7/Fibre Gig setup is working very well and supports my 25 plus devices nicely. 

After a day or two of fiddling everything appears to be working fine.

Signal is very good. Signal enhanced by a Super pod in my out of the way family room is “great” and supports all my devices.

With a consolidation of promotions, price reduction to my plan and improved wifi performance I am very pleased. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help