-- many times on this discussion forum, it has been menti...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Djaxx -- many times on this discussion forum, it has been mentioned about connecting one LAN port from the XB6 to the WAN port on a third-party router, to provide:

1. continued WiFi access from the BlueCurve to the "remote" TV boxes,
  2. continued WiFi access to the dual-channel networks on the BlueCurve,
  3. additional access (wired and wireless) for computers/devices connecting to the third-party router.

Depending on where you are in your home, connect either to the Shaw WiFi or to the third-party router's WiFi -- whichever signal is stronger.

Does that provide the style of "mesh" network that you want?

I don't know if your specific ASUS router can be configured as a "repeater" of the BlueCurve's WiFi networks.

0 Kudos

Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. MESH networks...

Djaxx
Grasshopper

Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. MESH networks work like a router with an extender except your clients use the same SSID and key to connect to either and they can move between the two which is how the Shaw Pods work. 

I can't connect anything by ethernet because of my house configuration (super old house and no network cable run through the walls).

0 Kudos

I had an Asus router that had a repeater mode, but I can’...

rstra
Grand Master

@Djaxx I had an Asus router that had a repeater mode, but I can’t remember if it used the same SSID as the main router. 

0 Kudos

When we moved to our new house the Shaw installer said th...

Brutus73
Grasshopper

When we moved to our new house the Shaw installer said the these pods were useless. We had free rental on them so I put them strategically around the house. The Shaw tech guy was right they were useless. I returned them in the mail, as you apparently have no store to return them to anymore. I can see Shaw is trying to imitate Telus with their long history of awesome service. (sarcasm doesn't always come through on text).  Please go back to your old ways Shaw, it kept me a customer for over 20 years but now I'm considering my options.

0 Kudos

I found the pods to work fine. I have tried reception wit...

rickatk
Master

I found the pods to work fine. I have tried reception with and without the pods and there is a performance difference. I notice faster connections with the pods working. I use one super pod to connect my media room at open end of my house with the XB7 box in the centre. Running simple speed tests and wifi strength performance is always better with a pod connected. 

The service is fine with Shaw, nary a problem. I found the messaging very convenient and I am not stuck on the phone on hold for a long time.

0 Kudos

I installed Netgear  EX6120 Dual Band Wifi Range Extender...

dan_h
Grasshopper

I installed Netgear  EX6120 Dual Band Wifi Range Extender. 5G extender network works but 2,4G doesn't get internet access any more. It worked for a while then intermittently and now not at all.

0 Kudos

-- I returned them in the mail, as you apparently have no...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Brutus73 -- I returned them in the mail, as you apparently have no store to return them to anymore. 

Blame COVID-19.  I would not want to be a Shaw retail-store employee who touches any equipment returned by any customer.

To me, it makes sense to have a centralized location that has appropriate procedures for handling "hazardous-materials" -- masks/gloves/wipes, and then have one team of employees with the technical skills to "refurbish" the equipment -- did the customer return a "broken" device, or did the customer just switch to a different I.S.P. ?

0 Kudos

It's not your gramma's Hyundai Pony any more, the 2023 Hy...

egarageca
Grasshopper

It's not your gramma's Hyundai Pony any more, the 2023 Hyundai Palisade can be as much as $16,000 more than a 2023 Caddy CT4!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help