> removed 2nd IP for Routing. Fake news. I just did an on...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> removed 2nd IP for Routing.

Fake news.

I just did an online-chat with Shaw, and they added it to my account, in less than 10 minutes.

All I gave them was my Account Number -- no "PIN", no name, no address, no telephone-number.

No fuss. No muss. Ten out of ten service. Smooth as a baby's bottom. Done like dinner. Elvis has left the building. The (body-shaming not allowed) lady with the non-Viking-horns has sung. 🙂

> Probably because Shaw's infrastructure is slower than T...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Probably because Shaw's infrastructure is slower than Telus ?

Fake news?

Shaw's "backbone" has over 1.5 million miles of fiber-optic cable. Probably, Telus is in the same ball-park.

Regardless of what Shaw is trying to hype up. 99.99% fibe...

frostiex
Grasshopper

Regardless of what Shaw is trying to hype up. 99.99% fiber? maybe the back bone. Unfortunately, the 0.01 % is your coax from your house back to the neighboring "shared" transceiver. Shaw's infrastructure is OLD and there have no plans upgrading the neighborhoods. They keep upgrading their backbone (so they can sell to thrid party reseller) and keep asking us in different ways to pay for it. 

Telus isn't a saint here either, fibre is not available to most older (15+ year) communities. The only problem I see when we have garbage internet service in Canada is CRTC. That's what is keeping our cell, internet price high up in the sky. 20mbps uploads on 600mbps service is a joke.

> Unfortunately, the 0.01 % is your coax from your house...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Unfortunately, the 0.01 % is your coax from your house back to the neighboring "shared" transceiver. Shaw's infrastructure is OLD

There is nothing "unfortunate" about having "old" coaxial-cable delivering 200+ TV channels, many in HD, to each house on the block, and Gigabit downloads at the same time.

> Telus isn't a saint here either, fibre is not available to most older (15+ year) communities.

Fake news.  Across my street, the owners have Shaw Cable into the main level of their house, and the tenant has Telus Optik into the owner's suite. Most houses on this street were built in the mid-1950's -- obviously more than 15 years. The tenant in the suite has a child, which made them eligible to pay $10/month for Internet at Telus' slowest speed -- 25 Mbps. The tenant "downgraded" from paying over 5 times as much for a much-higher speed through Telus Optik.

Last week, a natural gas contractor was digging-up the road, in front of my house, to extend a natural-gas line from my property-line into their house -- proof that most companies, Telus included, will do "anything" to add customers & to generate a monthly revenue stream.

I've just canceled my service with them. They can't offer...

Seb-
Grasshopper

I've just canceled my service with them. They can't offer the same price as Telus, I had a good price for TV and 300 Internet unlimited for about 125 $/month on a two year contract. Now if I wanted to renew it would have been 180. Without contract 225 $! Really poor costumer retention. I've switch back to slower Telus 50Mbs Internet without TV until Fiber get installed in my area (end 2020). No way I'm paying 200$+ for TV and Internet, this is just totaly insane.

> about 125 $/month on a two year contract. That probably...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> about 125 $/month on a two year contract.

That probably was a "promotional" price, locking you in for 2 years.

> Now if I wanted to renew it would have been 180.

Yes, those are the current non-promotional prices for current customers (costumers?) signing (singing?) a new contract.

Some friends "switch" every 2 years: Shaw, TekSavvy (reseller of Shaw cable-based Internet), Telus, to get the best deal for the next 2 years. As long as none of these providers add "installation charges", it works for them.

0 Kudos

Appreciate the response. But a couple things....

rickatk
Master

@Zenov wrote:

Appreciate the response. But a couple things.

>1) Telus speeds are quite reliable. I know a few people with it getting advertised or better speeds at all times. They are by physics more reliable than Shaw because you have a dedicated fiber line.

My experience (with people I know) has not been the same. Slow unreliable connections over Telus fibre. One friend of mine switched to Shaw as a result. Took all the Telus fibre and Optik gear back. I was never impressed with the picture quality of Optik. Forget the Telus store in the mall, very poor example of their offerings.

> 2) Agreed on a lacking of coverage from Telus fiber.

Kind of relevant. Over the years and multiple homes, Telus has never been able to deliver for me. First with ADSL, then Optik and High Speed and now Fibre. I always seemed to live in an area(just outside their coverage area) where the service was not available. Shaw on the other hand has always come through with reliable fast stable service. Now I am getting Shaw’s Fibre+ Gig Service.

>3) Full package with TV price doesn't matter to me. I only subscribe to internet.

For many users TV is very important. In my case, the TV package combined with internet and phone makes for good value.

> 4) None of this seems to explain how Lightspeed and various resellers can provide better pricing even though they are buying from Shaw....

I stay away from the bargain resellers (residential and mobility). Lots of promises but as they say... “you get what you pay for.”

0 Kudos

Since Shaw is no longer offering retention deals, I know...

Lotusland
Grasshopper

Since Shaw is no longer offering retention deals, I know of 3 subs who are switching over to Telus for Internet, TV, Home Phone & Mobile.  I also called in recently to see if they (Shaw) could give me some kind of offer on their Fibre+ Gig (1 Gbps down/25 Mbps Up) service as an existing Sub, as my Shaw agreement is coming to an end, and they could not offer me anything except the regular advertised prices.  So I will be also moving my services over to Telus, for their better offerings.  That makes of 4 Subs out of many who are switching over.

-- better offerings Different, yes. Special promotional p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lotusland -- better offerings

Different, yes.

Special promotional pricing for new customers, yes.

Better?  Yet to be determined. Please give us a report, after you've been with Telus for a month or two.

> some kind of offer on their Fibre+ Gig (1 Gbps down/25 Mbps Up) service

If you have 10 computers in your home, each simultaneously downloading at 100 Mbps, you need Gigabit service, if each of the 10 servers that are "sending" data at a steady 100 Mbps (not just "bursts"). If those servers are simultaneously serving multiple connections, you won't be receiving an actual 100 Mbits per second.  Compare the bullets/minute of a machine-gun versus a black-powder gun from 200+ years ago -- all bullets travels at the same velocity, but the separation between bullets is quite different. So, a "server" may be connected at 100 Mbps, but the separation between data packets can be large, if the server is "busy" servicing multiple clients.

0 Kudos

Not pro or con your claims on Telus vs Shaw, fibre, uploa...

kazsulec
Grasshopper

Not pro or con your claims on Telus vs Shaw, fibre, upload, download, etc.

But your claim, "all bullets travels at the same velocity". Umm, no. 

Anyway, carry on with the Shaw vs Telus thing. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help