Re: Why such slow upload?

Not applicable

Interesting comments for sure. Shaw has gone on record saying that most of their customers are content with the current [meager] upload speeds. Well, they didn't say meager but that's really what it is. 

Furthermore, a tech who replaced my modem a few months back said Shaw will within the next few years be "equalizing their network" to have both similar upload and download speeds. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Honestly, I don't think the tech knew what they were talking about..

I just don't see it happening.  I hope I am wrong of course, but yeah, I just don't see it happening.

I moved one of my servers to my uncle's place..  lol  They are currently on 300/300..  Right now doing ~1TB/day traffic.. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

You could be right. It seems most everyone nowadays is saying something that's bs, either knowingly or unknowingly. 

0 Kudos

polybius
Grasshopper

The other thing is if they can upgrade the 150 to 300  and 300 to 600 just like that, they have the bandwidth to give higher upstreams. I'd much rather have 150/150 than the 300/15 I have now.

kombi
Grasshopper

Exactly-
'connectivity to its full potential'
'Our upload speeds are designed to meet the needs of the vast majority of our customers. The current upload speeds for these tiers are more than sufficient for the average user.'t 15Mbs 

I'm happy with 150 download-- I am not seeing any performance boost at 300 download.
Maybe it helps... but honestly even 250 down 50 up would be better.

I avoid uploading because it is painfull.

I want to have an online backup of my files- 
but instead I have to make copies on hard disks and take them offsite for protection.

The average user it probably is sudfficient, but I aslo suspect they simply avoid doing any uploding because it takes to long.

at 15Mbs it's 6.75 GB/hr  - 
I'm a photographer- 64GB at a wedding is common. - Over 10 hrs to back up RAW files.... rediculous.

Not applicable

Welcome back to the late  1990s when we all dreaded uploading. 

Isn't it funny how history repeats itself?

0 Kudos

Shaw currently offers upload speeds over Fibre plans of 2...

NumerousErrors
Grasshopper

Shaw currently offers upload speeds over Fibre plans of 25 Mbps, which is frankly unnaceptable in this day and age. I've read the official Shaw documentation about what they call "average upload speeds" (at max around 7.5 Mbps), but that figure looks to be at least 6 years old. Maybe is was OK 10 years ago, before cloud storage was a thing, but I've got 200 GB to back up to cloud storage and its gonna take me roughly 24 hours (at minimum)? It's gonna take more than the 2 years since the first reply to this to upgrade to relatively modern tech? I'm considering alternatives for internet connection because, frankly, my current Shaw connection isn't cheap and the quality of connection is absolutely not appropriate for what I'm paying.

0 Kudos

Hi  was just wondering how come you have 200 GB to back u...

g-idk
Master

Hi @NumerousErrors was just wondering how come you have 200 GB to back up all at once, that seems quite a bit for just a everyday residential customer, does your computer not automatically back up all files to storage so you don't have this type of situation to deal with?  Are you doing a little side business by chance?  If so maybe Shaw's Business Internet would be a better choice if you are, because Shaw's Home internet is not for fast uploads , it is for general everyday use in a home.  Ie.  loading hundreds and hundreds of pictures to instagram is not general use, making a few bucks streaming on twitch is not general use,  those types of things Shaw actually considers them commercial uses, and as such limits the upload speed available to home users as they shouldn't really need it.   

I upload everything to cloud storage. Photos, videos, 3d...

NumerousErrors
Grasshopper

I upload everything to cloud storage. Photos, videos, 3d maps I make in various game engines as a hobby, software that I program in my free time to keep my development skills current. Sometimes I take a trip out of town and record video and take pictures, and in that case sure I'd easily have 200 gigs of raw data to upload to cloud storage. What you're branding as an "average user" is really just a relic who doesn't use their computer systems to their potential.

0 Kudos

Hi   ok I totally get your point and for your type of use...

g-idk
Master

Hi @NumerousErrors  ok I totally get your point and for your type of use.  I had to chuckle though with your last sentence because laughably and sadly even now in 2020 is still true that the Home "average user"  still barely utilize the full potential of their computers,  they may surf the net, stream movies and tv , play games, upload some pics, maybe the occasional video, so they end up relying on download speeds versus upload.  If eventually the Home user does start using the computer to its potential then Shaw will have to increase upload speeds,  Sadly we are just not there yet.  

TALK TO US
We're here to help