Re: XB6 Bridge Mode and IPV6

Not applicable

I am thinking of going with a Ubiquiti solution. Debating on how much functionality I want versus how much I want to spend.  I don't run anything crazy, but I'm a bit of a tech nut and I love to learn.

Would be nice if the damned XB6 just let me change some simple features, though.

mjducharme
Grasshopper

If you are a tech nut, then you will like either the Ubiquiti or the MikroTik. I prefer the MikroTiks due to the larger feature set and lower price, and the interface is nicer as well (all options available in the GUI instead of having many options text-only).

Not applicable

Any particular model that won't break the bank, or at least is a good value?

0 Kudos

mjducharme
Grasshopper

Depends if you want wireless or not - there is the hEX Gr3 but that one might not quite give you the full 600Mbps with IPv6 though given the new Shaw speeds (it would do 300-400 no problem, and would do ~1Gbps IPv4 due to the FastTrack acceleration it has for that).

Another option is the hap ac2 which is only a little more expensive, and that will give you wireless too in the same box. The routing performance is about 2-3x the hEX Gr3 so it would be able to do even 1Gbps IPv6 no problem.

Not applicable

Oh. Wow, a lot of their stuff is fairly cheap.

Would it make sense to get a simple Ethernet router from Mikrotik and use the TPlink simply for wifi?  Or am I asking for issues?

(Although I love tech, I never really got much into networking, so I appreciate the help and dialouge!)

mjducharme
Grasshopper

You can do that - the TP-Link ought to work fine as an access point. MikroTik has more troubleshooting tools etc for monitoring the wireless if you like that kindof stuff, or if you want to play with multiple SSID's (ex. one for you, one for guests, one for appliances, one for kids (if you have kids), etc. If not, the TP-Link wireless should work just fine, and that way at least you can continue to use that AP for something.

Not applicable

Okay. More research to do!  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Usually, where the modem and router need to be placed are usually poor places for the WiFi AccessPoint (AP).  Usually better for the router and AP to be separate.  This allows you to put the AP in an ideal location, centrally located, and the modem and router together where convenient, like a smart-panel, in an office, ect.

I really like the Mikrotik routers and access points (their switch line not so much) and have more than one in a few locations..

0 Kudos

Not applicable

mjducharme wrote:

Hi Corbin,

You surely must be using DHCPv6 prefix delegation at home. Without it, your router can only get an IP on the WAN port. It wouldn't make any sense to get IPv6 for your router only and not for your internal systems.

NAT IPv6?  *barf* but there is an RFC for it... 

0 Kudos

mjducharme
Grasshopper

Yeah the only way it would work without it would be to use ULA and NAT66, but doing that with IPv6 would be a really stupid setup.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help