Jump to solution

-- are you using VPN, connecting to a VPN-server that is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@johnfmullane -- are you using VPN, connecting to a VPN-server that is located outside of Canada?

Are you picking-up some WiFi signal from a nearby USA-owned island that is visible off the east coast of Victoria?

Can you use the Windows command-line utility to do:  tracert www.shaw.ca

and post, here, the output from that command?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi,   This is the output from the tracert:  Tracing route...

johnfmullane
Grasshopper

IMG-2583.jpgIMG-2583.jpgHi,

This is the output from the tracert:  Tracing route to xxxwww.shaw.ca [xxx72.247.113.xxx146]
over a maximum of 30 hops:      One never knows the routing of a VPN.   I have put in the xxx to get by your site filters.

I do use a VPN on my desktop computer.   However, I have no problem on the computer.  Occasionally, I have to click disconnect on the computer for specific websites.   

The problem in on the TV that connects to via a Shaw Bluecurve box, except when it thinks it has been transported to the USQA.  It is highly unlikely that I am picking up Wifi from the USA.   Where I am located on the sixth floor in downtown Victoria, I could be picking up close to a thousand Wifi signals.  It is on my TV that I have the problem and I have found it goes away if I restart the Bluecirve Wifi box that connects to the TV.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That is really strange, the BlueCurve TV player should ju...

rstra
Grand Master

@johnfmullane 

That is really strange, the BlueCurve TV player should just be connecting to your BlueCurve modem. I wonder if there is a faulty setting in the player. Anyway, give Shaw a call, maybe the box is trying to connect to Comcast. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have used Shaw direct in the USA for years.  You were a...

Don4
Grasshopper

I have used Shaw direct in the USA for years.  You were able to get all channels that were on their two satellites Anik F1 and Anik F2 because they did not have the ability to stop the satellite signal from beaming outside of Canada. However,  Shaw Direct launched a new satellite several years ago (G) that now that only transmits its signal inside of Canada and have almost finished switching all of their channels over to it and has or will soon decommission F1 with F2 not far behind.. Every year I am getting fewer and fewer channels. I think by the end of 2023 that will be it for being able to view Shaw direct channels outside Canada.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- view Shaw direct channels outside Canada Previously, o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Don4 -- view Shaw direct channels outside Canada

Previously, one of the selling-points for Shaw Direct was the ability for Canadian "snow-birds" to take their Shaw Direct equipment with them to over-winter in the USA (e.g., south-east California or south-west Arizona or Florida), mounting the satellite-dish on the roof of their travel-trailer or RV. I briefly looked at www.ShawDirect.ca but did not find anything relevant.

Are you "losing" channels, because more channels are getting encrypted, and you don't subscribe to those channels, such that your Shaw Direct receiver is configured to not decrypt?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That all changed when Shaw Direct switched to a new satel...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  That all changed when Shaw Direct switched to a new satellite with a footprint that doesn’t allow viewing very far south of Canada.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I used Shaw Direct in my RV and then in my winter house i...

Don4
Grasshopper

I used Shaw Direct in my RV and then in my winter house in Mesa AZ for years. Now I hardly get any channels and here is why. About 10 years ago the FCC (the broadcasting regulator in the USA) advised Shaw Direct that they were illegally transmitting their satellite signal into the USA.  The two original Shaw Direct satellites,  Anik F1 and F2, didn't have the capability stop their signal from being picked up in the USA. Now that F1 and F2 have reached end of life Shaw launched a new satellite called G several years ago and have been slowly transferring all of their channels to it. This satellite is able to block its signal from being received outside of Canada. As well, Shaw Direct changed the frequency of the signals from the G satellite so customers are required to replace the horn on their satellite dish in order to receive channels from the G satellite. Of course replacing the horn on a dish outside of Canada does nothing - no signal.

So in short, Shaw Direct satellite channels are being transferred to a satellite that no longer broadcasts outside of Canada. I think the process will be completed this year, maybe next.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help