You can check exactly how far you are behind by going to...

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

You can check exactly how far you are behind by going to the weather network or a news network and when the time changes on your phone, count how many seconds until it changes on the TV.

When I had Bell Satellite I think it was 5 seconds, Shaw seems to be around 8 seconds, I am hardwired.  If you're using their wireless 4K box, I believe you're more like 30-40 seconds behind.

live tv delay

tracyo9
Grasshopper

watching playoffs "live" my neighbors are cheering for goals that haven't happened on my "live" feed yet.  seriously considering switching to TELUS

My main hardwired 4K box was acting up a bit, Shaw absolu...

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

My main hardwired 4K box was acting up a bit, Shaw absolutely REFUSED to give me anything other than wireless.  A 30-40 second delay is not acceptable.  I might as well get IPTV! 

If you can speak to a supervisor and demand an old hardwired box, the delay will be gone.  But, good luck.

0 Kudos

wrote: if  you can speak to a supervisor and demand an ol...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mondoguitar wrote: if  you can speak to a supervisor and demand an old hardwired box, the delay will be gone. 

I still have the older Gateway HDPVR. In my experience, there still is a delay.

There even is a delay between the standard-definition SportsNet feed and the high-definition feed -- the SD feed is noticeably "ahead" of the HD feed.  I've seen the same delays in "sports bars", when there is a mix of SD & HD TVs on different walls.

I have not tried a newer HD TV, to see if it is faster at displaying the incoming feeds than my current/older HD TV.

When I was a volunteer at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, I could hear the horns inside of Canada Hockey Place sound after every goal, walk to a nearby TV, and watch the goal being scored.  Fourteen years later, there still is "lag", and it still is unavoidable. YMMV

0 Kudos

There is a VERY minor delay from SD to HD (half second to...

mondoguitar
Grasshopper

There is a VERY minor delay from SD to HD (half second to one second), and a larger 20 second delay for 4K. I have tested all of this out as I am usually on social media when games are going on and hate getting spoilers.

I used to have satellite, which was 6-7 seconds behind if you go to a news channel or weather channel to check, Shaw (hardwired) is pretty much the same.

I would NEVER get their new wireless box as my main box.  I'd get a backup IPTV service if that became the only option.

To your main point, yes there is always a delay.  But 6 seconds hardwired compared to 30-40 seconds wireless is a HUGE difference.  You can test your exact delay by going to the weather network, starting your stopwatch when your phone clock hits the top of any given minute and see how many seconds it takes for your Shaw box to change.

Doing it right this morning, the delay is 20 seconds.  Bell Satellite is 6 seconds.  Shaw's wireless is a full minute, and IPTV services are 1-3mins.

I'll choose the smallest delay possible, which will always be hardwired.

Rogers is pushing customers from QAM to IPTV, my contract...

rstra
Grand Master

@mondoguitar  Rogers is pushing customers from QAM to IPTV, my contract is coming up for renewal and my XG1v4 box has to go and I will be on the wireless boxes. Out of curiosity, I tested the time difference between the XG1 and the Ignite app on FireTV, the app was behind by about 10 seconds. It will be interesting to see the amount of delay there will be on the wireless boxes. (I tested the NBC Premier League Soccer game).

Edited.

I  was watching the 2024 Paris Olympic opening ceremonies...

ron4reaction
Grasshopper

I  was watching the 2024 Paris Olympic opening ceremonies on CBC and the delay from the hardwired ignite box is around 30 seconds. The app is around 36 seconds behind . The best work around is watching the broadcast using my  free to air HD Antenna. My old d/c Motorola & Pace boxes were about 5 seconds behind and the coaxial connection was back in the day was only 1-2 seconds. My parents had Telus Optik and the delay was also around 25-30 seconds. 

0 Kudos

That is quite the delay, but satellite to satellite and c...

rstra
Grand Master

@ron4reaction  That is quite the delay, but satellite to satellite and conversion can add a lot of time. I also wonder if the broadcaster put in a time delay, just in case they need to sensor the audio or video?

0 Kudos

wrote: I also wonder if the broadcaster put in a time del...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra  wrote: I also wonder if the broadcaster put in a time delay, just in case they need to sensor the audio or video?

Would that time-delay be bypassed on an over-the-air broadcast?  Doubtful, since any "bleeping" would occur at the TV channels main office, or maybe by an Assistant Director in the TV offices inside the stadium? 

One way to tell is to attend a baseball or football game, inside one of those "sky-boxes", which have a TV installed. Compare the "live" broadcast (by watching the players) and comparing to what the installed TV is showing. Or, maybe one of those "classic" open-air baseball parks that have apartments that are beyond the playing field.  Residents just look out of their windows, to watch for free.

0 Kudos

The time delays are added by the broadcast studio at the...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  The time delays are added by the broadcast studio at the source. I am not saying this is actually happening, it just seems that it is quite a long delay. 

0 Kudos