Internet is not required. There is an internal modem in t...

rickatk
Master

@MartinSG wrote:

So bottom line, this is a marketing decision rather than a technology one?  It would seem then, that there is significant false advertising on their webpage.  Since, when one clicks on TV Plans, there is immediately a picture of a BlueCurve box with a BlueCurve remote, and later on the page, it specifically says you can use your voice to search for shows.  Nowhere on this page does it indicate that Shaw internet is required for these services.  Perhaps I should forward this information to the CRTC.

@MartinSG  Internet is not required. There is an internal modem in the BlueCurve TV box that handles the IPTV part of the equation. Including voice search.

0 Kudos

So, does anyone from Shaw want to weigh in on why I can't...

MartinSG
Grasshopper

So, does anyone from Shaw want to weigh in on why I can't have Bluecurve TV without Shaw internet???????

0 Kudos

Hi  , boy this topic is going around and around the wheel...

g-idk
Master

Hi @MartinSG , boy this topic is going around and around the wheel, where it stops nobody knows. 

0 Kudos

Not really sure how it is going around and around the whe...

MartinSG
Grasshopper

Not really sure how it is going around and around the wheel.  You have told me that Bluecurve does require internet.  Others have stated that the Shaw equipment has an internal modem and does not require internet.  Nobody from Shaw will confirm or deny either.  So we appear to be at an impasse.

0 Kudos

Hi again  , I just meant that you can't seem to get a 100...

g-idk
Master

Hi again @MartinSG , I just meant that you can't seem to get a 100% definitive answer, so around and around we go.  From what I understand there seems to be 3 levels of tv service, first being what I have which is with the old fashioned regular cable which you can only get limited tv package and then you can add what ever theme or individual channels you want. Then we have the non-wireless Blue Curve system which is a hybrid system that uses IPTV for some features but still relies on the coxial cable to carry the tv channels, and I believe you can only have the Total tv package with this setup.  And Lastly you have the wireless Blue Curve system which is 100% IPTV based and must have the internet to supply the tv channels, and again only Total TV package available.  This is my understanding of the packages available, but like you said only a Shaw rep can confirm or deny, since this is only a peer to peer user help forum and not an official channel to Shaw Support you may not hear from anyone from Shaw on here regarding the matter, only direct contact by chat (preferred) or phone.  Please forgive if I'm wrong I'm just trying to help.     

0 Kudos

I appreciate your response and I am sorry for my snippy r...

MartinSG
Grasshopper

I appreciate your response and I am sorry for my snippy reply.  It is just so frustrating to not be able to get the Bluecurve package that I want.  It may be that Shaw no longer offers the hybrid package because when I asked one of the reps on the Chat line about the XG1v4 player, the rep indicated that Shaw no longer offers this hardware (I believe that may have been the hybrid box).  Now it appears they only offer the Bluecurve modem and wireless boxes that clearly require Shaw internet (although I am not sure why Telus internet wouldn't work).  They did offer me the Gateway hardware which offers some of the features of Bluecurve but not the voice remote.  Oh well, I guess that will have to do.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

0 Kudos

Hey   no hard feelings whatsoever.  OK that's why I haven...

g-idk
Master

Hey @MartinSG  no hard feelings whatsoever.  OK that's why I haven't been hearing about the Hybrid system lately, they got rid of it.  Go figure! and now that explains why they said you must have internet from them for New Blue Curve customers.  The reason that Telus internet would not work is that the wireless box is controlled through the blue curve modem via 2 hidden ssid's, they communicate back and forth.  Don't be too upset with the Gateway system at least you know you have some stability with that system.  Ok glad you had at least some success.  

0 Kudos

Although I understand, I think it amounts to blackmail. I...

jenspoke
Grasshopper

Although I understand, I think it amounts to blackmail. It amounts to the provider dictating that if you want one service (cable), you have to get the other (internet), which in turns into a higher bill.

You can get TV from Shaw without internet, just not BlueC...

rstra
Grand Master

@jenspoke  You can get TV from Shaw without internet, just not BlueCurve TV.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help