Jump to solution

I know this is an old post but I am having the same probl...

kaz13
Grasshopper

I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem in Saskatoon. Since early this year it has been getting worse rather than better.  I am on a two year bluesky plan (will probably be going to Sasktel when it  comes due again), this is the worst system I ever seen.  Anyway since about February I have technicians out to trouble shoot the problem.  They have checked all cables, removed my 50' cable and replaced with 25' cable because extra length was problem, changed cable from pole in alley to house 30+years old, replaced PVR, replaced connectors where cable comes into house, rewired and replaced splitters.  Works for a few hours but then recordings start pixelating again.  Last technician said signal coming in was good but signal going back was slow, he attempted to change pvr again to new style but was told he couldn't this constituted a change to my contract which meant cost would raise monthly.  So he left old pvr in place worked for about 3 hours then started pixalating again.

I would like to really find who to complain to but any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- posting the same information to more than one thread i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kaz13 -- posting the same information to more than one thread is not productive.

If you are on a "Bluesky" plan, you are entitled to rent the PVR that is included in that plan. Is that what you have, or do you have an older PVR? Motorola? Pace? Arris Gateway?

Anyway, while reading this, scroll-down to see the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to make an official contact with Shaw.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

When we had our problem and technicians checked signal st...

ponderer
Grasshopper

When we had our problem and technicians checked signal strength, it was always DURING THE DAY when they made their tests, but they never checked signal strength in the EVENING.  Pixelation would start with the arrival of prime time around 6:30 -7:00, then get worse, reaching the absolute worst around 9:30, then get better after 11:00 or 11:30.  The PVR worked fine recording during the daytime but went to hell recording in the evening,the same as direct play.   I suppose there could be a problem with recorded programs due to an issue with the record function of your PVR, but If the PVR works fine in daytime but has problems at night, then the problem is with the incoming signal, not with the PVR.

So check: is it a prime time issue or does the image still pixelate during the day or early morning when few people are watching TV?.  Are any of your neighbours having the same problem? If it is a prime-time issue and your neighbours on Shaw have the same problem, then the problem is not with your cables and equipment but with Shaw's system.  They solved the problem in our neighbourhood when they replaced some sort of distribution equipment in a box out on the street.  I assume it was some sort of amplifier that boosted the signal going out to the neighbourhood.  The real problem is with Shaw management: Their customer service, technical inspectors and system management do not communicate.  The result is that they waste a lot of money attempting to "solve" problems within the scope of their work, but never consider the possibility that the problem lies in a different part of the system than what they are responsible for.

It is also possible that they are able to convince some customers to subscribe to a more costly service by their failure to resolve the issue and feel that that is an accomplishment - but I ascribe the problem to incompetent management

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

We have same thing. Did not just start tonight. Ongoing i...

blcar
Grasshopper

We have same thing. Did not just start tonight. Ongoing issue for us downtown Kelowna. Tech came to house long time ago. Wiring/equipment fine he said yet gave us new box (might have been reconditioned)??. Right at this moment 10:25 the National channel 102 is dancing pixilation, sound corrupted, I tape several channels of Yellowstone just to get one clean copy so we can watch. What is going on? The montly bill is over $300 and this has been happening for so long I am tired of making notes as cannot pin it down. Sometimes cannot watch PVR then go into SHAW ON DEMAND, and bring up program and it is ok and live one is corrupted. I am getting fed up. I thought it was the repairs to firestorm areas in Kelowna, repairs being made yet I do not believe that could be the issue. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Tech came to house ....  wiring/equipment fine he said...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@blcar -- Tech came to house ....  wiring/equipment fine he said yet gave us new box.

Probably a "guess" on the tech's part. Cheaper to swap it than to return to your home for another service-call.

The monthly bill is over $300 

That seems to be higher than average. On my Shaw Value-Plan, getting Total TV & 500 Mbps Internet, and Home Phone, with some add-on TV channels (such as time-shift) is under $200 -- before taxes. No Crave or other premium movie-channels.

I recommend that you contact Shaw [1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ] to get a site-visit from a technician. Make Shaw "earn" their $10/day that you are paying.  🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help