-- Thanks for the reference to that Shaw web-site. Howeve...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Thanks for the reference to that Shaw web-site. However, that web-site also states:

Do I get any new channels with BlueCurve TV?
There are no channels specific to BlueCurve TV.

That may have been true when the document was written, but it's not currently true, because Shaw is now offering some channels that are not available to customers with the Shaw Gateway PVR, such as the channel that was named "REV" (motor-sports including drag-racing) that has recently been rebranded with a different name.

However, how would your suggestion of adding a second account allow any older PVR to co-exist on the coaxial-network within the walls of the customer's home?  Would it require completely-separate runs of coaxial cable to be installed, starting with a two-port coaxial-splitter inside Shaw's demarcation-box on the outside of the customer's home?

They could split the drop at the CSE and run separate lin...

rstra
Grand Master

They could split the drop at the CSE and run separate lines, or split internally and add a MOCA filter if it is inside the network. Since they were just installed, they are likely using wireless players so MOCA isn’t an issue and there are probably a lot of free cable outlets.

0 Kudos

Hi, Just curious how you're finding those 4K players. Our...

VIviewer
Grasshopper

Hi,

Just curious how you're finding those 4K players. Our HDPVR quit on us and since I have a plan which allows me to upgrade for free to two Bluecurve devices, that's what I got sent, two Xi6 players. It doesn't appear like there's anyway for them to function as PVRs, so, if that's true, this is a step backward for me. Also, my Shaw modem's in a distant part of the house and it's connected to my own router with its own wifi, so in order to run Bluecurve properly, I'd have to reconfigure the Shaw modem and my router. When the Shaw tech installed the Bluecurve modem last year he warned me about that. I'm hoping Shaw still makes HDPVRs available, otherwise I'll have to see about switching to a different TV provider. I know Shaw rents at an outrageous price these wifi expander pods, so that's not an option for me, especially since I already have my own wifi expander.

0 Kudos

I am very happy with my BlueCurve setup. I initially had...

rickatk
Master

@VIviewer wrote:

Hi,

Just curious how you're finding those 4K players. Our HDPVR quit on us and since I have a plan which allows me to upgrade for free to two Bluecurve devices, that's what I got sent, two Xi6 players. It doesn't appear like there's anyway for them to function as PVRs, so, if that's true, this is a step backward for me. Also, my Shaw modem's in a distant part of the house and it's connected to my own router with its own wifi, so in order to run Bluecurve properly, I'd have to reconfigure the Shaw modem and my router. When the Shaw tech installed the Bluecurve modem last year he warned me about that. I'm hoping Shaw still makes HDPVRs available, otherwise I'll have to see about switching to a different TV provider. I know Shaw rents at an outrageous price these wifi expander pods, so that's not an option for me, especially since I already have my own wifi expander.

I am very happy with my BlueCurve setup. I initially had wired boxes because that is all that was available. Then came the Wireless TV Players they are great. You must have a good wifi network for those to work, like any streaming setup, good stable wifi is key. Alternatively you can have a wired BluCurve setup. That’s requires a larger HD console with built in PVR and satellite boxes. I believe there is a cloud PVR option for those boxes as well now. No wifi worries with that setup.

I went to the Wireless TV Players to get TV in the kitchen, you cant mix and match platforms. With that I have four WTVP boxes and 3 pods to make it all work seamlessly. PVR is cloud based and seems to work quite well. I never had great luck with local PVR, the discs lost shows and if the box had to be replaced you lost everything. 

I don't store anything much locally anymore. Everything is in the cloud. TV, iOS, MacOS, irrigation, environmental controls and lights...nice!

0 Kudos

I like the wireless players as I can now move TV's around...

CptClarkdale103
Grasshopper

I like the wireless players as I can now move TV's around without being tied to a coax outlet. They do offer cloud-based PVR.

Cons (More Bluecurve then the wireless players): 1. Really missing the ability to rewind live TV on previous channels (Can now only do it on the current channel you're watching and only since you last started it i.e. no flipping between channels and "catching up").

2. Hate that the system can't use any of my older motorola HD-PVRs to get signal on additional TVs. Pain to have to pay extra $5/month for every TV you want on the system.

3. I notice the wi-fi signal is not as strong as what I used to have with my own high-end router. I can bridge the bluecurve router but am apprehensive to do so as it seems that I will lose some functionality including ability to use the bluecurve app. At this point, not willing to add th extra cost of the bluecurve pods.

The upgrade has a lot of potential. Its just too bad that some aspects seem to have taken a few steps backward.

0 Kudos

If you subscribe to TSN on Shaw, you can log into TSN on...

SonnyDay
Grasshopper

If you subscribe to TSN on Shaw, you can log into TSN on your smart TV app, or stream from your phone. Just saying….

0 Kudos

Not too sure why you have a limit of three wireless TV pl...

rickatk
Master

@CptClarkdale103 wrote:

Just migrated to BlueCurve from Gateway (original Gateway, not Bluesky Gateway). Overall its ok but definitely a few drawbacks that I wish I would have known about. My sports mancave is toast!!! I had 4 tvs to watch multiple games (just in this room, not counting other TVs in the house). With Bluecurve I only have 3 Bluecurve (having to pay extra for the 3rd one) TV players for the whole house.

Is there anyway that I can use my Gateway or even old HD-PVR's to just get a basic signal on the additional TVs or once you go BlueCurve are you forced to use the Bluecurve TV player on any set you want to be able to view content on?

Not too sure why you have a limit of three wireless TV players. I have four Xi6 boxes wireless around the house. Pay for two.

0 Kudos

Yes: Once you are on a BlueCurve system nothing else work...

rickatk
Master

@CptClarkdale103 wrote:

Does this apply to my old HD-PVR as well?

Yes: Once you are on a BlueCurve system nothing else works. PVR is in the cloud.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help