Sorry but not enough reading of this whole thread. A Shaw...

bordoodle
Grasshopper

Sorry but not enough reading of this whole thread.

A Shaw tech confirmed that running the exact same equipment that he has, my configuration is not the problem.  Initially by swapping the XiOnes the problem did follow the box.  If it was my config then the problem would have remained on that specific ethernet port.  I have also plugged the basement  XiOne directly into a port on the XB7 and the problem of freeze repeat still continues.  Through my XL spreadsheet entries ALL freeze repeats occur on Ch 104.  That is the same channel that others are reporting problems on.

WiFi is a shared resource and subject to interference and signal strength issues.  Anything that requires constant and consistent bandwidth should be hard wired.

0 Kudos

Yup, that is the company line I got from Shaw.  I used to...

dionysis
Grasshopper

Yup, that is the company line I got from Shaw.  I used to work in tech support and the classic answer was to blame problems on another vendor i.e. it is a problem in Windows  😄

So mdk, does CTV actually have a solution or are you just saying to contact them to see what they say?

0 Kudos

-- are you just saying to contact them to see what they s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dionysis -- are you just saying to contact them to see what they say?

Because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I would contact them, if it still is an issue.

0 Kudos

-- ALL freeze repeats occur on Ch 104. Do you have "time-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bordoodle -- ALL freeze repeats occur on Ch 104.

Do you have "time-shift" ? If so, do some of the other CTV feeds (Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa) have the same issue as CTV Calgary?

Since the BlueCurve only has 4 Ethernet ports, can you connect an Ethernet "switch" to one of those ports, and then connect several computers to multiple sockets on the switch? Each computer will get a "private" IP-address from the BlueCurve router. 

I suppose that you can choose to connect "low-demand" devices, e.g., IP-camera or the Smart-TV in your kitchen, to the switch, so that the Ethernet cable between the switch and the BlueCurve is not "saturated" by "high-demand" devices (such as your primary computer that uses a lot of band-width).

0 Kudos

re. Grand Master   "Ethernet cable between the switch and...

bordoodle
Grasshopper

re. Grand Master   "Ethernet cable between the switch and the BlueCurve is not "saturated" by "high-demand""

Wrong thinking.  Even if you have 1.5 Gbps service you WILL NOT GET the full 1.5 Gbps.  Also can you guarantee that the gateway can push 1 gig from 1 port and then another 500 Mbps from another port (for 1.5 Gbps total)?  Or 375 Mbps from each of the 4 ports?  A single Ethernet connection to a switch and then leave the WiFi for miscellaneous things, as I describe below is a good approach.  There will be NO thruput issues on a single RJ45 to a switch.

High demand devices (especially streaming) are better with a direct hardwired connection where possible.  From the XB6 / XB7 (or a wire speed switch) they have a non-contention connection to a computer or TV streaming box(es).  WiFi is shared media and is like Ethernet years ago with repeaters and is therefore subject to collisions and retransmits.

For me, low demand devices such as WiFi outlets, thermostats, printer, etc go on WiFi.  That leaves a good amount of bandwidth for tablets, laptops and printers as they do not have to compete with streaming TV boxes.  A laptop WiFi download will NOT interfere with a TV stream causing pixilation or pauses.  Remember WiFi is shared media.

Network sniffing shows a single XiOne box streaming 1080 used about 10-12 Mbps bursting to 25 Mbps during rapidly changing screens (ie high speed motion).  So if all 3 of my XiOnes are playing I'm looking at 30-36 Mbps possibly but rarely busting to 75 Mbps.  That's less than 10% of that wire from the gateway to a switch that you said would saturate.

This way my 1 Gbps service (XB7) is the common connection point (and choke point if you will) for my house.  I can't control traffic and thruput from Shaw but I can make sure that there are no points of contention within my network / house.  30 years as a network engineer has taught me a few things including teaching Ethernet at a college.

0 Kudos

From CTV Calgary's web page: Shaw Cable is having technic...

BJM
Grasshopper

From CTV Calgary's web page:

Shaw Cable is having technical issues broadcasting CTV Calgary.

They are working on a solution, but as a temporary fix, Shaw suggests those experiencing an inconsistent signal to tune to a higher channel (above 201) and then back to channel 104.

This should correct the issue in the short term while they figure out a permanent answer.

If you are experiencing issues with your signal, please reach out to the Shaw tech support line at 1-888-472-2222.

Also, please do let us know via email.

--  Even if you have 1.5 Gbps service you WILL NOT GET th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bordoodle --  Even if you have 1.5 Gbps service you WILL NOT GET the full 1.5 Gbps.

That is not correct.  If you subscribe to the Shaw "Fibre+ Gig 1.5" service, your cable-modem will receive at that speed.

Further, one socket on the XB7/XB8 cable-modem supports 2.5 Gbps.  Of course, your computer needs an Ethernet adapter that supports more than 10/100/1000 speed.

Also can you guarantee that the gateway can push 1 gig from 1 port and then another 500 Mbps from another port (for 1.5 Gbps total)? Or 375 Mbps from each of the 4 ports?

Yes, if you are subscribed to the "Fibre+ Gig 1.5" service at $165/month.  The cable-modem is capable of receiving over 2 Gbps, if you can afford the monthly fee.

... low demand devices such as WiFi outlets, thermostats, printer, etc go on WiFi. That leaves a good amount of bandwidth for tablets, laptops and printers as they do not have to compete with streaming TV boxes. 

You have twice listed printers, not that it matters.

0 Kudos

This will be my last update after I talked to a superviso...

bordoodle
Grasshopper

This will be my last update after I talked to a supervisor for an hour yesterday.  Also no additional discussions about other solutions such as switch to WiFi or the Cat 6 from the gateway to network switch will saturate or amount of thruput that you may or may not get through the gateway will be listened to from my end at least.

Some people are experiencing such as channels just stopping / freezing or blank screen then repeat video over and over.  These are NOT problems in your house.  These are, almost guaranteed, not problems with the gateway or streaming TV boxes.

These are problems in Shaw's direction.  This is what I know and and best guess.  I do not have a scotoma (loosely translated scotoma means "a blind spot where you don't know what you don't know) in terms of what is going on.  Finally some supervisors within Shaw are becoming aware but customer service reps may still be giving customers bad information or outright blaming the customer's in-home setup.

Shaw is streaming TV channels for much of Calgary.  Coax and the older TV boxes are still in use.  Two possibilities are Shaw has purchased equipment and software to do the streaming.  Or that have purchased a service (out sourced) from another company to do the streaming service.  Either way there could be common problems.  The equipment and software to do the streaming is faulty or has bugs.  Or there are not enough servers to consistently stream to the hundreds or thousands of viewers on a particular channel.  Or there are network bandwidth issues from the servers out to all the customers.  For the last point, if 40,000 people watch one news channel (think suppertime) and each streaming box pulls 10 Mbps (10 million bits per second) that becomes 400 Gbps (40,000 million bits per second).   Designing a network and servers to handle that kind of load IS rocket science.

Some levels within Shaw (Rogers) are aware of this.  Either way they need to continue to push for a resolution because transitioning more uses from coax to streaming may only exacerbate the problem.  That's what I know and don't know.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help