Re: Terrible pixelation on CNN

Not applicable

I’m not with Shaw anymore and can confirm no issue with CNN.

gary.hall wrote:

Thanks for the update Tamara.  Was the ticket closed because it's something you're not able to fix on your end or was it closed because your upstream provider fixed the problem?  If the problem with CNN HD resides with your upstream provider, does that mean other companies such as Bell and Telus would have the same problem with CNN HD?  Or is this a problem with Shaw Direct satellite link if you get your CNN feed from them?

I have the same problem.  It wasn't working for almost a...

JamesBailey
Grasshopper

I have the same problem.  It wasn't working for almost a week.  I called and they couldn't fix it so arranged a tech visit.  The channel started working again before the tech visit, so I cancelled the appointment.  Now it's not working again.

0 Kudos

Sue for I have had this issue for months. Tried technica...

hugheshome
Grasshopper

I have had this issue for months.  Tried technical service team on three occasions, with no improvement.  'Coming from the source' does not ring true as I know that Rogers customers do not have this issue with CNN.  And the fact that I have it on a number of channels.  I'm very. Lose to switching providers as the Shaw team seems to be apathetic to truly fixing the issue. 

0 Kudos

I have the same problem with the signal from CNN breaking...

samson1
Grasshopper

I have the same problem with the signal from CNN breaking up multiple times during life feed... noticed now when it happens the provider seems to reset the sigal because the TV turns black for a second and then it is OK for a little while. this is happening on two separate line TV's 

0 Kudos

The problem is on Shaws end. We don't need to reboot our...

Nick49
Grasshopper

The problem is on Shaws end. We don't need to reboot our cable boxes. And we don't need to re seat our cable connection, because every other is crystal ckear. Channel 37 HLN is just horrible some days, other days it's tolerable. 

0 Kudos

-- I know that Rogers customers do not have this issue wi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@hugheshome -- I know that Rogers customers do not have this issue with CNN.

I think that it is unlikely that both Shaw and Rogers use the same ground-based satellite-dish, presumably mounted on their respective properties, to receive the CNN feed from the stationary-orbiting satellite.

I can imagine that at some time of each day, you can draw a straight line through Shaw's satellite-dish, the satellite, and the Sun.  So, when the dish "sees" the Sun behind the satellite, that could create an issue with the reception of the signal. Unlike the Moon, the diameter of the satellite is insufficient to completely "eclipse" the Sun.

I wonder how many channels Shaw's dish receives from the same satellite? @rstra -- any wisdom about "celestial mechanics" ?

So, in this thread, could everybody please post their location, and the exact time (and timezone) and date that the CNN signal is degraded ?

--------------------------

CNN uplinks (sends) their signal to the Telstar 6 satellite located at 93.0° Weston Transponder 22 which operates at a frequency of 12079 MHz with a Horizontal Polarity. This feed has a Symbol Rate of 4 MegaSymbols per second. The Forward Error Correction is set to ¾. This particular channel feed uses the PowerVu ©encryption system.

A different source states: CNN USA Intelsat 11 43.0W 4040.00 

HLN ( Headline News) is an American basic cable news channel owned by CNN. Originally branded as CNN2, and later CNN Headline News, the channel was originally meant to broadcast standardized, regularly updated segments at 30-minute intervals 24 hours a day, briefly covering various areas of interest (such as national news,...

Hmm. HLN is owned by CNN. Does it uplink to the same satellite?

According to a web-site, Intelsat 11 transmits TBS, Golf Channel, Smithsonian Channel, Fox News, and more. I don't know if Shaw gets their feed from this satellite.

0 Kudos

I think that Shaw partners with another provider, and the...

rstra
Grand Master

I think that Shaw partners with another provider, and then re-distributes some channels through Shaw Direct to the various headends. Sometimes thunder storms in Toronto would affect a few channels, but that was temporary. If the issues with CNN was a satellite issues, you would probably see similar issues with the other channels carried by that satellite.

0 Kudos

Are you still having this problem?? Mine has been out sin...

Nick82
Grasshopper

Are you still having this problem?? Mine has been out since November 3 2020!!!! I am really frusturated as this is one of my most viewed channels. Shaw sent me a new box, but still no change. The desktop and phone app do work well however, 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help