Re: the new format is annoying!!!!!!

gatewayexpert
Shaw Squad

You can use search still from vod. You just have to press and hold the menu button for 3 seconds.  It is now even less button presses.

0 Kudos

bostonbob
Grasshopper

gatewayexpert wrote:

You can use search still from vod. You just have to press and hold the menu button for 3 seconds.  It is now even less button presses.

It's definitely quicker but I still kind of prefer the old version. Like I said before - we're all just creatures of habit and I'm used to getting to where I want to go on the Gateway without even paying attention to which buttons on the remote I'm using. Thanks anyway and now I know why you are the " gatewayexpert ".

EDIT: After playing around a bit more I found that if you hit the " Menu " button when you are watching TV or a recorded show it will take you to the section where you can get to the " Search " function. This kind of reminds me when I switched to the Gateway system from my old 3416 Motorola and had to get used to a different remote. It had the same functions as the old remote but there was a bit of a learning curve on just how to use it.

0 Kudos

jobean
Grasshopper

Ok Shaw, really do not like the new format, I agree with above comments, change it back! This is so annoying and the "update" did not enhance my experience if that was what you were aiming for. 

Not applicable

The phrase “don’t have an ETA for when the colours will be updated” raises a HUGE red flag!

Well BEFORE any updates (and not just the colours issue, but several other poorly thought out design changes) we need assurances from Shaw that we (your long-suffering customers) get s chance to review and approve any changes. 

I’m often left with the impression that the Gateway interface is redesigned at the uninformed whim of someone who is utterly clueless as to how it will be used in the real (customer) world. Are interface changes ever tested with a subset of real, paying, customers before release?

I spent 40+ years in the provision of computing services and if I had ever released new systems on my clients before they had a chance to evaluate and approve any changes then I would have been fired. And rightly so.

“Change control”, “regression testing”, “customer approval”, “staged rollout” - phrases that are common to the technology services community - should NOT be phrases alien to Shaw or its suppliers.

The Gateway interface is not an exercise in whimsical artwork-du-jour but an integral part of the entire Gateway experience.  Please try harder to get it right the first time.

Not applicable

I didn't even know that there was going to be an update until I turned on the tv one day a couple of weeks ago and everything looked different. What the heck, then noticed that a least 3 shows I had scheduled did not record that evening Survivor, Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. Very, very annoying!! As for the colour change, I'm not really bothered, got used to it already but as lucylily mentioned, if you are watching a recorded show and then switch to live tv and then want to go back to the recorded show it goes to Scheduler and you have to scroll up or down to find the recorded show you were watching, that didn't happen before the update. Very annoying!!

But what is most annoying, I don't see any positives with the update, but obviously time and money was spent on this so called update, for what ? Meanwhile my bill keeps going up and that really is annoying!!

0 Kudos

kwantau
Grasshopper

I believe this was a complete waste of time and resources by Shaw. They created problems that were not there before. My wife and I find the colour absence very annoying. Our sight is not what it used to be but we could easily see the colours. Now we need binoculars to see the tiny colour lines. We also enjoyed the softer blue ribbons with the white script which was much easier on the eyes than the black and white. I think what Shaw was trying to emulate was Blue Sky which has a similar look. I hope that hey come up with some fixes for the problems mentioned in the various forums.

southsloper
Grasshopper

Another THUMBS DOWN on the recent changes to the GUI look (and feel) on the PVR screens/user interface.  Previously when you changed from one menu to another, the information (like list of programs) would automatically update.  Now you have to press again to get the display.  I guess this decreases the amount of data downloading to the PVR, which over many users browsing their PVR menus can add up.  That being said, I prefer the old way it looked & worked.

Also, what's with the monochrome menus anyways?  As someone else opined in this thread, did you guys do a beta on this and get feedback from anyone?  This is coming from yet another IT guy with too many years of developing systems.  Who signed off on this?

Roll it back or fix in a new release, and it shouldn't take a year to deliver thank you... hopefully just a few weeks!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help