Transfer recordings from old Shaw gateway

raptisf003
Grasshopper

Hello,

I was recently in contact with Shaw support to resolve an issue with my TV service and was told that our gateway (the large box in my basement) needed to be replaced. I was also told however that all my recordings would be lost as a result. Is there any way for me to transfer the recordings from my gateway somewhere safe so that I can still have them when the new gateway comes? I do not want to lose these recordings so if you know of any way to keep them please reply with a suggestion.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

The same thing happened to me and unfortunately the recor...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

The same thing happened to me and unfortunately the recording cannot be transferred to another Gateway. My advice - start watching whatever you think won't air again. The good news is that you've got a lot of time on your hands these days to watch TV. 

- why does it need to be replaced?  I have a new "rented"...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@raptisf003 - why does it need to be replaced?  I have a new "rented" Gateway PVR -- connected to "HDMI input #1" on my TV, and my much-older (cost $700 a long time ago to buy it) Motorola PVR connected to "HDMI input #2" on my TV. Both PVRs are still "activated" by Shaw.  So, eventually, I will watch all the "old" content, and then finally responsibly do an "end-of-life" of the Motorola.

That's a good point mdk - I still have an old Motorola 34...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@mdk wrote:

@raptisf003 - why does it need to be replaced?  I have a new "rented" Gateway PVR -- connected to "HDMI input #1" on my TV, and my much-older (cost $700 a long time ago to buy it) Motorola PVR connected to "HDMI input #2" on my TV. Both PVRs are still "activated" by Shaw.  

That's a good point mdk - I still have an old Motorola 3416 hooked up ( it has some old movies from Movie Central on them that my GF claims she will eventually watch ) and it's still activated by SHAW. As for my Gateway story - it just stopped working one day and 2 different technicians tried but could not get it to play any of the recorded shows. SHAW ended up replacing my old Gateway ( the older version with a separate portal ) with a newer refurbished model. I lost a lot of stuff I wished I could have kept - like the entire 2011 Stanley Cup Final where my beloved Boston Bruins beat those nasty dirty Vancouver Canucks.😁

I don’t believe that two Gateways can co-exist in one acc...

rstra
Grand Master

I don’t believe that two Gateways can co-exist in one account. Best to watch what you can, if you can, and hope the rest is on demand. 

I am simply going off of what Shaw told me over the phone...

raptisf003
Grasshopper

@mdk I am simply going off of what Shaw told me over the phone. They said that the one we currently have is malfunctioning and that a new one will be dropped off this coming week, and we will give the old one back.

0 Kudos

> 2 different technicians tried but could not get it to p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> 2 different technicians tried but could not get it to play any of the recorded shows.

It could have been a failure of the disk-drive inside the Gateway, or a motherboard failure. Either way, the recordings are "gone", because the recordings were hard-linked to the motherboard.

> where my beloved Boston Bruins beat those nasty dirty Vancouver Canucks.

See how far the Bruins have fallen! Losing by 9 goals to Vancouver, earlier this year.

In 2011, the local pizza-place changed its name away from "Boston Pizza".

0 Kudos

> I don’t believe that two Gateways can co-exist in one a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I don’t believe that two Gateways can co-exist in one account.

I do belive, because I have have 3 activated Shaw TV boxes on my account, all different hardware:

1. antique Motorola PVR (owned by me)
  2. older Pace TV box -- due to be "retired" by Shaw later this year (owned by me),
  3. Gateway PVR (rented, at a net of $0.00 per month, from Shaw).

Yesterday, I helped a friend. She has 3 TVs, and 3 Shaw TV boxes -- all working fine.

Locations: master bedroom on upper floor, living room on upper floor, and kitchen on main floor.

At her age (85), she is not willing to swap any hardware, and not willing to learn how to deal with different remote-controls, nor with different menu layouts. Change for the sake of change does not interest her.

0 Kudos

I said two Gateways, not Pace or Motorola.

rstra
Grand Master

I said two Gateways, not Pace or Motorola. 

0 Kudos

> I said two Gateways, not Pace or Motorola. Yes, I said...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I said two Gateways, not Pace or Motorola.

Yes, I said Gateway and Pace and Motorola.

Have you personally tried to connect two Gateway devices? Did it work?

Is it a matter of the MoCA signalling over your in-home coaxial-cable network being generated by multiple Gateway devices causing a conflict?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help