Jump to solution

Re: Turner Classic Movie (TCM) Picture Size Cropped

roguesquirrel
Grasshopper

Also, this is what my MeTV (Ch 30) also SD looks like, the complete signal is there.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

gerryfxroguesquirrellockebryantnorth1457 and catcol, I have received an update from our video operations lead advising that we not manipulate the feed in any way and only pass on what TCM sends us. We will be passing your feedback along to TCM so they may fix the originating content.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

catcol
Grasshopper

shaw-tony

It is NOT TCM. As I said in a previous post the TCM picture from Telus is as it should be. I will be moving from Shaw to Telus Optik TV. This has gone on long enough.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

roguesquirrel
Grasshopper

Will there be anyone following up with TCM in the future or is it out of Shaw's hands now?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

lockebryant
Grasshopper

Tony, does your first sentence mean to read that your video operations person says that Shaw does not currently manipulate the feed in any way? 

If so, this cannot be true. Please ask someone from that department to comment in this forum so they can better understand what is happening. You can see from this screenshot from TCM's website (about one of the movies I mentioned earlier) how serious they are about not cropping their movies:

BTW a Shaw tech did come to my place Wednesday to check connections, my PVR, etc and nothing changed at all. When I explained to him the issue he said it must be some problem with the way Shaw is processing the feed from TCM for broadcast.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

north1457
Grasshopper

Tony, I would suggest that you get a new video operations lead. As I mentioned in my first comment I have been involved in the technical side of tv productions including working on the first HD production truck (ABC Sports) when we had to convert signals to satisfy various formats. To say that you just pass on what TCM sends is a joke. Signals have to pass through digital patch bays as well as computer software. If he would do his job which I assume would include quality control he should of noticed a problem. Maybe he does not watch the Shaw off air feed. I would be happy to list a way to trouble shoot this problem but I feel I have already wasted enough of my time. If this issue is not properly addressed and a remedy to the problem is found by the end of the week (it took a week for the video operations to give a poor response) I will have to send an email to Bradley Shaw, Jay Mehr and Zoran Stakic and ask them to get involved. As I see that you already have one customer in this group to drop your service, more will follow suit.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

magnew58
Grasshopper

I contacted Shaw again and they still claim this is TCM's fault. The person I spoke with wouldn't even admit there has been any change. If they do not correct this I will switch to Telus and the first opportunity.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

rolyat77
Grasshopper

I suggest you stop the delay in deploying HD as was done in Calgary, it would likely solve a lot of these problems!!! That 1GB internet is looking better all the time. At 250.00 per month to Shaw I have to believe that if other customers such as myself leave, it's gonna bite...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

lockebryant
Grasshopper

Got the same response from them today. Ran the gamut this afternoon: went to local Shaw store to return something the Tech left behind last week and asked the guy at the counter to turn on TCM. He couldn't get the channel to even work. Called tech support again and got the same insistence that they do nothing to what they get from TCM. Said he will escalate the issue and contact me in 24-48 hrs. Meanwhile was chatting online with support who was at least in Vancouver and was able to tune to TCM to see what it looked like. We both saw the same (incorrect) black bars on the left and right of screen for a widescreen movie, cropping the image. Nothing he could do about it. Must be a problem with TCM....blah blah. 

Then walked across the street to Telus. TCM channel looked perfect. If 48 hrs go by and Shaw doesn't call me back I'll be walking across the street again. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

catcol
Grasshopper

Do these comments ever make it up the Shaw food chain to something with a brain? Shaw-Tony's biography is "I am a cardboard box".  All one needs to know about how seriously Shaw takes a forum like this.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help