changin plan while still on contract

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

I am 6 months away from my current contract being up. Can I go from 600 to 1gig plan without a penalty?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi  since this is only a peer to peer help forum and not...

g-idk
Master

Hi @dragonstone634 since this is only a peer to peer help forum and not a direct Shaw Support Channel I would suggest that you contact Shaw directly either by chat feature or phone for this type of inquiry.  However with that being said I do believe you need to wait until 2 mos. before contract ends for them to waive any reminding cancellation fees.  Please note though that every situation can be different so I highly recommend that you speak with a Shaw Rep.  

-- Can I go from 600 to 1gig plan without a penalty? Whil...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dragonstone634 -- Can I go from 600 to 1gig plan without a penalty?

While I am not authorized to speak on behalf of Shaw, I see no problem in paying them more per month for faster service, for the remaining months of your current contract. Shaw seems to frown upon "downgrading" during a contract.

P.S. Why upgrade? I have found no Internet sites that can "push" out data to you at either 600 Mbps or 1000 Mbps. How many computers do you have in your home that are simultaneously downloading, e.g., 6 at 100 Mbps, to "fill-up" the "pipe" through your cable-modem? Yes, your "upload" speed will increase, by maybe 25%, if that extra speed is what you want/need.

0 Kudos

its the upload speed I am after. Gig is just a bonus. I w...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

its the upload speed I am after. Gig is just a bonus. I would use it.

I did talk to a competitor about the contracts and there answer was. You have the ability to upgrade without penalty if the speed you now want wasn't an option at the time. A new 2 year contract would be signed and you have to keep this service unless a faster speed comes along then back to a new contract.

Hi  sounds great, but make sure you ask Shaw.  Every telc...

g-idk
Master

Hi @dragonstone634 sounds great, but make sure you ask Shaw.  Every telco could be a little different.  I agree though if your upgrading I don't see them having a problem, but again ask them.  

0 Kudos

-- it is the upload speed I am after. Shaw is now offerin...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dragonstone634 -- it is the upload speed I am after.

Shaw is now offering 100 Mbit/second uploads on both Fibre+ 600 and Fibre+ Gig services, through your current (BlueCurve) cable-modem, presuming that Shaw's upgrade to this speed has been rolled-out to your region.  So, check with Shaw, or just run the Shaw Speed Test, to see if your cable-modem has been configured.  Hint: power-off your cable-modem, and then power-on it, to force it to download the latest configuration settings. Then, re-run the Speed Test.