Internet Renewal Time

RD999
Grasshopper

I am due for my two year renewal. I am very happy with my modem, speed and price. Shaw wants me to upgrade to the new modem and change my plan. Below is what I have now and what they have offered:

Internet 300 $113.50 less discounts of $39.00 per month.
Advanced WiFi Modem Rental

Offered to me:

I have Fibre+300 with latest modem for just $75 plus tax
and even I can offer you Fibre+500 for only $79 plus tax

To keep my existing is around $100/month plus tax.

Why are they pushing this new modem and services. I am completely satisfied with what I have now but don't want a huge increase.

10 Replies

-- you wrote: > offered to me: Internet 300 $113.50 less...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RD999 -- you wrote:

> offered to me: Internet 300 $113.50 less discounts of $39.00 per month, i.e., $74.50 per month.

> I have Fibre+300 with latest modem for just $75 plus tax 

> I can offer you Fibre+500 for only $79 plus tax

Does your current modem max-out at 300 Mbps for download, and 15 Mbps for upload ?

In most areas, Shaw's latest cable-modem supports 300/100, 500/100, 1000/100, and 1500/100 for download/upload.

So, after you have had a 24-month "price-freeze", the new offer is for another 24-month "price-freeze", at a slightly higher fee, and an upgrade to the latest cable-modem  that will greatly increase your upload speed.

Compared to how everything has increased in price (food, gasoline, houses, etc.) in the last two years, I think that you're being offered is definitely not a "huge" increase.

Not concerned about price but wanted to make sure there i...

RD999
Grasshopper

Not concerned about price but wanted to make sure there is no concern changing to a newer modem. Yes, my modem is a Hitron and I believe maxes out at 15 up. So would you have any concerns with the modem quality or the service quality changing to a new package? My service now has been rock solid for 8 years and I would like to be sure.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

-- note that the HITRON has four LAN ports, while the Blu...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RD999 -- note that the HITRON has four LAN ports, while the BlueCurve modem only has two LAN ports. Do you have more than two "wired" computers on your home network?

P.S. see:  http://shaw.ca/brightdeal for the latest promotion from Shaw ($99/month for 1 Gbps service, and $50 credit, and optionally add Total TV for $50/month). Note that Shaw has announced a price-increase, effective in November 2022, for customers on a month-to-month plan. Customers having a current two-year Value Plan will see the increase only after that plan expires.

0 Kudos

The XB7 has 4 ethernet ports.

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  The XB7 has 4 ethernet ports. 

0 Kudos

I received the modem and it has 4 Ethernet ports. Would a...

RD999
Grasshopper

I received the modem and it has 4 Ethernet ports. Would all 4 be the same speed?

0 Kudos

I found the specs below. If I am only paying for 500mbps...

RD999
Grasshopper

I found the specs below. If I am only paying for 500mbps would it matter what device goes into the faster port?

0 Kudos

Yes, 4 ports (1 x 2.5 Gbps, 3 x 1 Gbps)

RD999
Grasshopper

Yes, 4 ports (1 x 2.5 Gbps, 3 x 1 Gbps)

0 Kudos

No, 1 port is 2.5 Gbps and 3 are 1 Gbps.

rstra
Grand Master

@RD999 No, 1 port is 2.5 Gbps and 3 are 1 Gbps.

0 Kudos

Thanks!  If I only have speeds of 500 would it matter whi...

RD999
Grasshopper

Thanks!  If I only have speeds of 500 would it matter which Port I use for which device? 

0 Kudos