Jump to solution

Promotion pricing of "By the Gig" Plan

waynetblack
Grasshopper

The current offer as I understand it is $0 for calls and texts plus $10 per gig for data with rollover. We are Shaw Internet 300 customers and we are interested in this plan. I believe this is promotional pricing....what is the regular price for Shaw internet 300 customers when the promotion expires?

Thank you,

Wayne Black

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I believe you are technically correct. However, I found a...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

I believe you are technically correct. However, I found a couple small print notes:
13. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. -- This I understand as simply being a CYA protocol 😋 Though in theory, once Shaw Mobile starts expanding we could see all plans change in price for new subscribers.

11. Connection fee
A one-time connection fee of $20 applies to each new line activation or hardware upgrade. -- Pretty self explanatory here, and pretty much the going rate for any telco.
5. Auto Payment  
This plan requires Auto Payment otherwise an additional $5/month charge will be applied for each month the pre-authorized payment (Auto Payment) is not activated on your account.  -- Make sure you enable auto pay or your $0 plan will become a bank breaking $5 😋

Here is the most important part:
2. $0 By The Gig 
Shaw Fibre+ Internet customers are eligible to receive a $15 credit per month on the $15 By The Gig plan. Auto payment and approved credit required. A Shaw Internet bundle discount is available on up to a total 6 lines, based off approved credit. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice.  You may purchase By The Gig Data one-time passes $10 per 1GB, valid for up to 90 days, which can be used on the Shaw or Nationwide Networks. Pay-per-use, one-time passes and additional add-on charges are extra and may change with notice.

This is very important to understand. The By The Gig plan is not $0, rather it is regular price $15/month for non-Shaw internet subscribers and those with incompatible internet tiers. However, as you have Internet 300, you get the $15 discount on up to 6 lines, making it effectively $0

I hope this info helps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Jump to solution

I believe that deal is available as long as you are an in...

rstra
Grand Master

I believe that deal is available as long as you are an internet customer. 

Jump to solution

I believe you are technically correct. However, I found a...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

I believe you are technically correct. However, I found a couple small print notes:
13. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. -- This I understand as simply being a CYA protocol 😋 Though in theory, once Shaw Mobile starts expanding we could see all plans change in price for new subscribers.

11. Connection fee
A one-time connection fee of $20 applies to each new line activation or hardware upgrade. -- Pretty self explanatory here, and pretty much the going rate for any telco.
5. Auto Payment  
This plan requires Auto Payment otherwise an additional $5/month charge will be applied for each month the pre-authorized payment (Auto Payment) is not activated on your account.  -- Make sure you enable auto pay or your $0 plan will become a bank breaking $5 😋

Here is the most important part:
2. $0 By The Gig 
Shaw Fibre+ Internet customers are eligible to receive a $15 credit per month on the $15 By The Gig plan. Auto payment and approved credit required. A Shaw Internet bundle discount is available on up to a total 6 lines, based off approved credit. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice.  You may purchase By The Gig Data one-time passes $10 per 1GB, valid for up to 90 days, which can be used on the Shaw or Nationwide Networks. Pay-per-use, one-time passes and additional add-on charges are extra and may change with notice.

This is very important to understand. The By The Gig plan is not $0, rather it is regular price $15/month for non-Shaw internet subscribers and those with incompatible internet tiers. However, as you have Internet 300, you get the $15 discount on up to 6 lines, making it effectively $0

I hope this info helps.
Jump to solution

-- it is regular price $15/month for non-Shaw internet su...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SP3CTRYS -- it is regular price $15/month for non-Shaw internet subscribers and those with incompatible internet tiers.

The information on the Shaw web-site states that most Internet plans, even "Internet 75", are compatible with the $15/month discount.

Actually, $15/month for "unlimited talk-and-text" for everybody else is better than some "light-usage" plans from other cell-phone providers. So, if one is using some other provider (Virgin? Bell? Rogers? PetroCanada? Walmart?), it might be cheaper to switch to Shaw Mobile. Customers of Telus cell-phone service get an additional "bundle" discount, if they have the Telus Optik "bundle".  So, Telus Wireless customers probably would not find it economic to switch.

Think about your grandmother who pays monthly to carry a cell-phone in her purse, for "emergencies". Maybe, one of your six allowable cell-phones could be loaned to her ?

Jump to solution

Hello, just saw your explanation of "By the Gig".   Do yo...

HenryS
Grasshopper

Hello, just saw your explanation of "By the Gig".   Do you have thoughts on my three questions?

1.  The "By the Gig" has a carryover of 90 days for unused data.  I believe this would mean that if I bought a Gig for $10 on January 1st and used only 300mb by Mar. 31, the unused 700 mb would carryover for 90 days until June 29.  Is this your understanding too?  If so, the I don't need to buy another 1 gig add-on at the end of March to give me data access until end of June.

2. My Shaw mobile account does not provide any tracking of the carryover data amount beyond the original 90 day period.  Do you know if Shaw plans to allow us to track?  

3. You mentioned that the $15 fee for the "By the Gig" plan is offset by the $15 credit given us so it's zero cost right now.  I don't understand why anyone would pay $15 for the  "By the Gig" plan because you still would have to buy the data at $15 per gig or $10 if you're a Shaw customer.  This can be quite expensive given what is available in the marker right now.  Am I understanding this correctly?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- 1. The way that I read it is "use it within 90 days, o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@HenryS --

1. The way that I read it is "use it within 90 days, or lose it", i.e., that the service purchased this month does not expire at the end of this month.

2A. The way that I read it is that any carry-over expires 90 days after you purchase it.

2B. No, and I doubt that any Shaw employee who wants to remain employed will reveal any "company confidential" information to you.

3. For $15/month, your grandmother (without any Shaw Internet/TV/home-phone services) can carry a cell-phone, with "unlimited talk and text inside Canada". She does not HAVE to buy any "data" to talk to you. Probably, she does not NEED to buy any "data". Plus, if you have a Shaw account, you might create an E-mail ID for her, on your account, and connect her phone to the Shaw Go WiFi network to use "data", for free, at any "hot-spot" wherever she shops.

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

J'mayka.

Jamaica who?

J' make a call to your grandmother.  🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That is what I thought too except it was not the way it h...

HenryS
Grasshopper

That is what I thought too except it was not the way it happened for me.  A bug in the Shaw system?  Or why does Shaw say 1 gig for 90 days and then say any unused data is carryover for 90 days?  The two comments would mean 180 days to use up the 1 gig.  And that is what happened to me.  I had about 500 mb left from my first add-on, then bought the second add-on 90 days later, thinking the 500 mb would be lost.  Now I am in middle of my second add-on period but none of the second add-on is being used.  I called Shaw and they confirmed that I have 1.3 gig of data left.  The 1.3 gig consist of .3 from my first add-on and 1 gig from my second add-on.  Now I am not sure I should buy my third add-on after 90 days from buying my second add-on.  If the second add-on have a 90 carry-over, I am good to delay the third add-on for another 90 days.  I just don't have the ability to track the carry-over amount.  My online account showed my second add-on with zero data usage. 

And thanks for clarifying my third questions.  Now I understand the $15 fee.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I think they rollover anything you have left as long as y...

debbiefilan
Grasshopper

I think they rollover anything you have left as long as you buy more before the 90 days is up... if you don’t and let it lapse past 90 days anything you had left disappears and you only get what you buy next ... hope that makes sense 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

On a change of topic. Has there been an issue with voicem...

vmoodley
Grasshopper

On a change of topic. Has there been an issue with voicemail re extra charges and how can I disable it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Has there been an issue with voicemail re extra charge...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@vmoodley -- Has there been an issue with voicemail re extra charges

None that I am aware of. For me, on Shaw Mobile, checking voice-mail is not surcharged. 

Can you please be more specific about the "issue" ?

0 Kudos