The changes to the due dates and people on government benefits

DjWeb1984
Grasshopper

Hi I am just curious how you guys can justify changing the due date for payment to 21 days and especially for people who are already on 2 year agreements and also with people like me who are on government disability payments and only get paid on certain days once a month? Is it that you guys are trying to weed out the group in this specific class? So can have a way to cut them off? If not doesn't this kind of step on the right to have internet that federal government has set up because of the risk that alot of people may not be able to meet the new "due dates" I want to understand because I have been with shaw for years now I think atleast 6 years this is making me feel that maybe I should start looking into telus for services 

5 Replies

-- there is no affect on your payment date, unless you ha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DjWeb1984 -- there is no affect on your payment date, unless you have authorized Shaw/Rogers to automatically debit your bank account. After you disable that option, just pay the invoice "manually" -- at your bank/credit-union a few business days before the listed due-date, or online through the My Shaw Portal.

Note that credit-card companies require payment 21 days after the creating of their invoice. Shaw/Rogers has been requiring payment 21 days after the creating of their invoice, and still will, beginning July 15, 2024. My guess is that Telus will also require payment after 21 days, should you switch to them.

Hi , actually all my invoices for an example are dated o...

g-idk
Master

Hi @mdk , actually all my invoices for an example are dated on the 14th of every month, me just double checking all previous invoices payment due dates have always for me been exactly the 14th of the next month so approx. 30 day payment due period.  Now for example when I phoned a rep they also said as the notice says that my payment due date will no longer be a 30 day length and will now be due 21 days after invoice, since I do use autopay.  Guess I'll have to wait for next months invoice to be sure either way, since the invoice I'm issued right now from June 14th is still saying to pay by July 14th.  Hurry up July 15th so I can know for sure lol.  Have a great day.  I think this is what is upsetting the poster if this is the outcome.  But like you said it will now be like a credit card statement.  

Ya next month we lose a week. People are really worked up...

rstra
Grand Master

@g-idk  Ya next month we lose a week. People are really worked up, I don’t understand the big deal, but I pay all my bills on the 1st day of each month.

, Yup that's the way I understand it.  I'm on a fixed inc...

g-idk
Master

@rstra , Yup that's the way I understand it.  I'm on a fixed income as well and this actually doesn't change my ability to pay.  But I guess for some people who are juggling finances just to get by, this might throw a monkey wrench in their planning. I guess the confusion some people have is fueling the concern.  I think I might be upset over the autopay thing though at 14 days, thank god I never use it.  

0 Kudos

-- for me, on my current invoice, I see: INVOICE DATE: Ju...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@g-idk -- for me, on my current invoice, I see:

INVOICE DATE: June 1, 2024
        DUE DATE: July 1, 2024

So, my next invoice date will be July 1, 2024, which is before the "July 15" announced date:

Effective July 15th, the required payment date will be 21 days after the invoice date and automatic payments will be 14 days after the invoice date.

So, I will have to wait until August 1, 2024 to get an invoice under the new payment terms. Rogers/Shaw will then automatically charge my RogersBank credit-card on August 14. Through my online-banking, I will adjust the automatic transfer from my bank-account into my RogersBank credit-card to occur before the 14th of each month, thus avoiding any "late" payments.

I pay through the RogersBank credit-card to earn bonus cash-back for each payment to Rogers/Shaw. Then, I apply the cash-bank to future payments. That's the only use of my RogersBank credit-card.  Otherwise, I use my BMO Air Miles MasterCard for everything, to get Air Miles points. 🙂

By using the above method, my Rogers/Shaw invoices are paid, on time, without any intervention by me. Nice, until I die, and my Executor will then need to cancel my Rogers/Shaw account, and cancel those automated transfers.  🙂