Jump to solution

I am advised by a Tier Two tech that it is best to get a...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

If the BlueCurve is online it is up to Shaw to provision they phone line, all you need to do is plug in a phone.

I am advised by a Tier Two tech that it is best to get a tech to visit the house before switching phone service to the the Gateway. Apparently bad things could happen if they try to switch the phone service from the Arris modem to the Gateway iPhone ports from their back room without first ensuring the phone lines are configured properly at the house. In fact you could end up with no service. For those reasons I am waiting for a tech home visit before executing a change to my phone network. I think running the landline through my Gateway is a great idea but I am going to wait till a tech can visit. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, if it is more than just plugging in a phone and Invo...

rstra
Grand Master

Yes, if it is more than just plugging in a phone and Involves house wiring, it is best to wait for the technician.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I finally took the plunge, transferred my home phone serv...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

You need to talk to Shaw about transferring your phone service from the Arris to the BlueCurve, this would allow you to return the dpt to Shaw. Keep in mind, your existing setup may have the Arris in another part of the house and connected to the house phone wiring, it may not be convenient to install the BlueCurve where the Arris is located now.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/phone-articles/shaw-digital-phone-terminal-wiring-guide/ta-p/6715#bluecur...

I finally took the plunge, transferred my home phone service away from my old phone modem to my Gateway. Turns out none of the house phone wiring even is required. Fact is you don’t even plug in the Gateway to a wall phone jack. All that is required is to have the home phone service moved from the phone modem to the Gateway. The downside of this simple switch over...you can only plug your primary phone into the Gateway. This works fine if you are using a cordless phone base station or don’t require additional phones around the house. Regular phones won’t work as the Gateway doesn’t push a signal out through the Gateway to a wall jack like the older modem.

I am currently researching other phone options like the Motorola headless base station models as I have no reasons for a phone in my living room where the Gateway is located.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Turns out none of that matters with the BluCurve Gateway....

rickatk
Master

Turns out none of that matters with the BluCurve Gateway. The phones ports will only connect directly to a phone. For multiple phones you will have to plug in a cordless phone base station directly. 

Turns out house phone wiring, wall hacks and demarcation is irrelevant. Appears this is all part of th move to self serve phone installation. 

I have order a new Motorola four pack of cordless phones with a headless pod with Alexa installed.

I will further updat. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I’d make it work 😀

rstra
Grand Master

I’d make it work 😀

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Do tell...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

I’d make it work 😀

Do tell...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I was hoping to find a good diagram. If there is no alarm...

rstra
Grand Master

I was hoping to find a good diagram. If there is no alarm, I would connect a jumper to the modem and run it into a surface wall mount phone jack. From there you can get some cat5 or cat3 and run it from the phone jack to either the phone demarc or a nearby phone jack and back feed the dial tone down a spare pair to the demarc. You have make sure the phone company line is disconnected at the demarc. 

The hardest part is having the phone modem near a phone jack.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am assuMing that the fact a number of phone lines from...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

I was hoping to find a good diagram. If there is no alarm, I would connect a jumper to the modem and run it into a surface wall mount phone jack. From there you can get some cat5 or cat3 and run it from the phone jack to either the phone demarc or a nearby phone jack and back feed the dial tone down a spare pair to the demarc. You have make sure the phone company line is disconnected at the demarc. 

The hardest part is having the phone modem near a phone jack.

I am assuming that the fact a number of phone lines from the around the house terminates in the demarcation box, this is not a simple connection. A tech could probably connect the input jack and a another room where the base station is an do a simple connection. The phone modem does all this because it is more sophisticate in this regard. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Update: Gateway Phone Ports

rickatk
Master

Update:

Recently I decided to take my home phone line directly from my Shaw Gateway. The Gateway was becoming the centre of operations for my wifi speakers, lighting, irrigation and tv. I asked the Shaw agent to transfer the phone service to the Gateway thinking I then simply plug Gateway into the wall jack for distribution to my cordless phone base station sitting in another room. This didn't work however. The Gateway only delivers phone signal directly to a connected phone or base station. Not wanting a phone in the living room next to my wifi speaker I started to look for a headless base station to distribute the calls to cordless phones positioned around the house. There wasn’t much to choose from but I settled on the Motorola AX set.

I am very happy with my choice. The styling, fit and finish is superb as are the phone features. Sound quality is very good. Setup was very easy and the Motorola voice app integrated well with the Alexa app and my iPhone contacts flawlessly. I can even control some of my speakers which are Alexa enabled.

Meeting my objective of having a headless antenna for my phone network plus the added benefits of Alexa and good sound makes this is winner product. While I am of mixed opinions about the limitations of the Gateway phone port, I am certainly happy with the results.

FDCFD343-50AE-4684-B996-4CD3EE9F9A91.jpeg

69AD9D67-C4CB-4E19-A24E-54DB465DCF2C.jpeg

Jump to solution

Ya it isn’t as simple as it sounds,but the gateway is cap...

rstra
Grand Master

Ya it isn’t as simple as it sounds,but the gateway is capable, connecting to the house wiring is just like plugging in an extra long phone cord. But it does sound like you have a pretty good system going now. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help