Cannot call numbers that don't allow private or blocked numbers.

pbohn
Grasshopper

Every time I try to order food from my shaw home phone, the restaurant will not accept private numbers.  So unblock with *87 but then the call never works and only get a rapid busy signal which usually means error.  I have tried several ways to unblock private number, but then it still doesn't work.  Anyone having this problem

Labels (1)
7 Replies

*87 disables anonymous call blocking on your phone, so th...

shaw-valerie

@pbohn *87 disables anonymous call blocking on your phone, so that if someone has a private number they are able to call you. 

If you're looking to show your own caller ID information when you're making a phone call, you'd want to dial *82 before the number you are calling. 

I have the same problem and it asks me for a code. I have...

Grace1999
Grasshopper

I have the same problem and it asks me for a code. I have tried • 82 does nothing!!! I have called Shaw they have no idea about this code. Tempted to switch to TELUS as there is no specific line for just phone inquiries 😤😡🤬 frustrating 

0 Kudos

>  I have the same problem and it asks me for a code. In...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I have the same problem and it asks me for a code.

In past years, Shaw had a "basic" telephone-service, and a customer had to pay extra ($7?) for extra features such as call-waiting and voice-mail.  Do you have one of those "grandfathered" phone plans?  If so, and if you try to use "*82" when you are not subscribed to this feature, you may possibly be asked for a "code".

> I have called Shaw they have no idea about this code.

Unfortunate and undesirable.  Some newly-hired Shaw staff may not have been trained regarding those "grandfathered" plans (phone or TV or Internet).

> Tempted to switch to TELUS as there is no specific line for just phone inquiries.

My friends on Telus report multi-hour "waiting on hold" delays, before getting to talk to a Telus employee in Philippines.

Having one number to call, plus a voice-messaging front-end, allows Shaw to transfer your call to a different call-centre in some other province.

Thanks

anton123
Grasshopper

Thanks 

0 Kudos

how do I set up my phone so that I do not have to dial *8...

gdmorin
Grasshopper

how do I set up my phone so that I do not have to dial *82 every call? This is annoying especially since we have more than 1 line.

line 1 automatically display our company name however lines 2 & 3 display as private caller. is there a way to dial without dialing *82 first?

0 Kudos

how do I set up my phone so that I do not have to dial *8...

gdmorin
Grasshopper

how do I set up my phone so that I do not have to dial *82 every call? This is annoying especially since we have more than 1 line.

line 1 automatically display our company name however lines 2 & 3 display as private caller. is there a way to dial without dialing *82 first?

0 Kudos

Those numbers are non published, you will need to contact...

rstra
Grand Master

@gdmorin  Those numbers are non published, you will need to contact Shaw to have them changed to published. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help