Home Phone and Gateway modem?

MeCraig
Grasshopper

Hello.

Regarding my landline phone. I am using Telus. They want to install fibre optics into my home. Not worth the bother. [It would just be for the landline phone] My computer and TV are through Shaw. I have a Gateway 2.0 (XB7) modem. Can I simply contact Shaw/Rogers - have them switch me over from Telus, KEEP the same phone number, and plug my phone into my modem? If that's possible - that would be great! I do not want people coming into my home.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Yes, Rogers will port your number and you should be able...

rstra
Grand Master

@MeCraig  Yes, Rogers will port your number and you should be able to just plug in your phone. Give them a call.

0 Kudos

-- Telus want to install fiber optics into my home, just...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MeCraig -- Telus want to install fiber optics into my home, just be for the landline phone.

Yes, Telus is upgrading every customer from twisted-pair copper wire to fiber-optic cable. Telus would have to enter your home to terminate the fiber-optic cable at one of their boxes, where your telephone would connect.

Are you on a multi-month contract with Telus?  If so, there might be a cancellation fee.

Do you have a good cell-phone plan?  You could transfer your land-line number to your phone, and not have any land-line (nor monthly payment to Telus) at all.

Before you "leave" Telus, use the My Telus portal to cash-in your Telus Reward points, e.g., for gasoline coupons.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help