Absolutely useless system. We had two spam calls within a...

Soupy2
Grasshopper

Absolutely useless system. We had two spam calls within an hour yesterday morning and yes, we have the spam blocking activated. The Telus blocking system on my cell phone actually works. Apparently the Shaw engineers aren't as bright as the Telus ones, otherwise they would have figured some kind of work-around for our landlines.  The ONLY reason we have a Shaw landline is because it's part of our bundle. But even that "perk" isn't much of a perk.

0 Kudos

-- what I have noticed is that the spammers are "spoofing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Soupy2 -- what I have noticed is that the spammers are "spoofing" valid telephone-numbers that are assigned to some customer.  When I call the number that the spammers are using, I get a real person, who swears that they have not called me.  Or, in the case where Caller-ID shows a "1-800" number, I get connected to some company, who have some valid product(s) for sale. 

So, should Shaw/Rogers' Caller-ID filtering block valid calls from those real people/companies to me?

0 Kudos

I gave up my Shaw landline due to the robo calls. I was t...

Chelsea-1
Grasshopper

I gave up my Shaw landline due to the robo calls. I was told Shaw has call control (unknown callers have to punch in another digit to get thru) on their mobile phones but do not have plans to implement it for landlines. My mobile is with Koodo (Telus subsiduary) and I love the call control feature.

I have Shaw spam Call Blocking turned on and it does not...

19shasta59
Grasshopper

I have Shaw spam Call Blocking turned on and it does not work. The system lets lots of call through. This AM (Aug 14, 2024) I have already had 8 or 9 calls which are SPAM. Amazon, bank credit department, etc etc. So if it works I am not sure how it works. The only thing I do know is it does not work well if at all.

0 Kudos

Are you on the do not call list? https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca...

rstra
Grand Master

@19shasta59  Are you on the do not call list?

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

Amazon calls you?

0 Kudos

Oh Yes. I have been on it since about a week after they a...

19shasta59
Grasshopper

Oh Yes. I have been on it since about a week after they announced it was ready. And I check once a year to make sure my number(s) are still on the list. But I find it to be very ineffective. Many companies use it as a "give these qualified leads" a call list. And since the calls we are getting are, most likely, done through a robot auto dialer who just runs down a list and then passes the call to a scammer when it gets an answer. Also there is a fee for

The auto dialers can also record when they got a human answering based upon the words spoken and put that number on a "live" list for more calls to be made to that number. And since they spoof the number they are calling from you cannot block that number.

The features of today's auto dialers, I do have to say, are quite impressive. And they also dial over the net so it makes it easier to be anywhere in the world. Not sure as to the solution but one needs to be figured out.

Here is the link to the DNCL in Canada and how much it costs to get usage rights. It is not cheap. For one year, all area codes in Canada it costs $46,736.27.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/format.htm

And yes, they say they are Amazon but, of course, it is scammers not Amazon. As are the ones from 'Bank Security', your 'credit card company', Canada Post etc.

0 Kudos