Jump to solution

Shaw phone modem services work in USA

CP91
Grasshopper

I am planning an extended trip in the USA and renting a home that will have an internet signal.  I am wondering if I take a spiltter and create an strong internet bandwidth to the Shaw phone modem; if the Shaw Phone Modem will then connect to the Shaw network.  I am thinking then I could use my home phone number and system while in Arizona USA?  Nay tho

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> I am wondering if I take a splitter and create an stron...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I am wondering if I take a splitter and create an strong internet bandwidth to the Shaw phone modem;

The "input" port on the Shaw Phone device is a coaxial connector, not an Ethernet socket.  So, it is not an "Internet" connection.  So, that stops your proposal.

However, think like a spammer, and sign-up with a "voice-over-IP" provider. You should be able to choose a telephone-number that is "local" to your home location (not your "snowbird" location), to allow your friends make a "local", not "long-distance", call to your VOIP number. Connect the VOIP device to the Internet in the rented home.

Caution: some VOIP devices require that you connect it DIRECTLY to a cable-modem, not to one of those "combo" multi-port modem/router devices, if you wish to receive unsolicited "incoming" telephone-calls.  Or, you may need to do "port-forwarding" on that "combo" device, to allow the "incoming" traffic to tunnel through the device, to reach your VOIP device.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jump to solution

Sorry, you would not be able to take your phone terminal...

shaw-valerie

@CP91 Sorry, you would not be able to take your phone terminal with you to another location to use your home phone service there. You are able to access your voicemail remotely though, by calling 1-866-656-7429 or 1-866-677-7429. You can also sign up for email notifications when a message is left on your home phone, and optionally have the message forwarded to your email account, following the steps on this page

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I am wondering if I take a splitter and create an stron...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I am wondering if I take a splitter and create an strong internet bandwidth to the Shaw phone modem;

The "input" port on the Shaw Phone device is a coaxial connector, not an Ethernet socket.  So, it is not an "Internet" connection.  So, that stops your proposal.

However, think like a spammer, and sign-up with a "voice-over-IP" provider. You should be able to choose a telephone-number that is "local" to your home location (not your "snowbird" location), to allow your friends make a "local", not "long-distance", call to your VOIP number. Connect the VOIP device to the Internet in the rented home.

Caution: some VOIP devices require that you connect it DIRECTLY to a cable-modem, not to one of those "combo" multi-port modem/router devices, if you wish to receive unsolicited "incoming" telephone-calls.  Or, you may need to do "port-forwarding" on that "combo" device, to allow the "incoming" traffic to tunnel through the device, to reach your VOIP device.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am wondering if I take a splitter and create an stron...

CP91
Grasshopper

Hello Grasshopper,

I see where you are going with that one and sounds like it has potential.

Thanks for your input

CP91

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help