two shaw modems in the same house?

darwinlutz
Grasshopper

my mother-in-law just moved into a basement suite of a home that uses shaw for their services. she gets very poor cell service and cant switch to a new carrier yet as shes in a contract. is it possible to have a second phone modem in the same house so that she has her own phone number and it isnt disturbing upstairs if hers rings?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

> my mother-in-law just moved into a basement suite of a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> my mother-in-law just moved into a basement suite of a home that uses shaw for their services.

Shaw's official policy is that she requires her own account for her own suite -- she is not allowed to use any "WiFi" provided from "upstairs".

>  is it possible to have a second phone modem in the same house so that she has her own phone number?

Yes, Shaw would want her to have her own Shaw Phone adapter.  Shaw would run a coaxial-cable from the "demarcation-box" on the outside of the house, into the basement suite, and would connect their adapter to that newly-installed wall outlet.  Probably, at no cost for "installation" to her -- Shaw considers it much better to add a monthly-paying customer by not charging for "installation" of the new coaxial cabling.

You might want to investigate a VOIP ("Voice Over Internet Protocol") device. It will give her own telephone-number. But, there are "setup" issues, before the VOIP device can "receive" telephone calls -- need to configuration "port-forwarding" on the Shaw router that is "upstairs", so that the incoming traffic is not "blocked" by the router's "firewall" rules.

0 Kudos

Your mom can certainly have her own phone number and Shaw...

shaw-valerie

@darwinlutz Your mom can certainly have her own phone number and Shaw services, get in touch with our customer service team and they can book an appointment to get that set up! 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help