300 - Nice while it lasted?

oldedave
Grasshopper

The 150 service we had before the "upgrade" routinely delivered 170-180. After the upgrade it shot up to 320+ for a while. For the last week we've been getting 90-95. Nothing changed on our end. What's up?  As a frustrated customer, and shareholder, I'd appreciate an honest answer. 

Southwest Edmonton 

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: 300 - Nice while it lasted?

shaw-tony

Hey oldedave,

Thank you for reaching out! There may be several reasons to why you are noticing a drop in speeds. I have details here on how to optimize your Internet experience. An example of a reason may be poor signal from the coax cable connection from the wall outlet to your modem even though you haven't made any changes. I'd recommend starting off with some troubleshooting steps here. Are you noticing the slower speeds over WiFi only or are direct ethernet connections to a desktop affected as well?

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

oldedave
Grasshopper

Before I waste hours around with gear that was working until recently please confirm that there have been no similar situations or other degradations in service in my area. It would be appreciated if you could provide evidence (as you might to the CRTC). 

0 Kudos

oldedave
Grasshopper

The speed degradation is direct connection. Your wi-fi in the house has never gotten over 100 so expectations are low to begin with.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Direct wired connection 90-95 usually means you are only getting a 100 mbps connection between your computer and modem..

Possibilities.. 

Your computer only has a 10/100 network adapter rather than 1000 mbps that is needed.

Your computer is set to force a 100 mbps on the network adapter

The network cable is damaged and only linking at 100 mbps.  (100 mbps needs 4 wires, 1000 needs all 8, so if it is 'broken' it may only be connecting at 100)

Something is wrong with the network port on the modem, if this is the case try another port.

oldedave
Grasshopper

As mentioned the 300 MB connection worked for a couple of weeks. So I'm assuming that, as requested, you have reviewed the service history for my neighbourhood, and found that there have been no abnormalities or drops below 300MB. 

Leave wireless aside for now.

I'll get back to you when and if I can find the time to follow your suggestions.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I think its everywhere....Nelson BC since the announced doubling of speed for free,  random useless internet  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help