Assigning devices to WiFi pods?

ChrisWally
Grasshopper

I have three Shaw WiFi pods running on my network. The specifications say that devices will connect to each pod based on it's strongest signal. However, I have a couple of devices that run great when connected to the Gateway modem, and then they will connect to a pod located even closer and their connectivity will drop horribly.

Just curious if there is a way to force a device to connect to a certain pod or the modem, or is there a feature for this coming out in the future?

Labels (1)
20 Replies

Can you move the pod that is closest to your devices to b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Can you move the pod that is closest to your devices to be closer to the modem?

If there is a weak signal between the pod and the modem, performance will suffer, as you have noticed.

With the BlueCurve pods, the connection point for your de...

shaw-valerie

@ChrisWally With the BlueCurve pods, the connection point for your device will be chosen automatically, you're not able to lock a device to only connect to the modem or a specific pod.

I am having a similar problem, it would be a great idea i...

Jereme
Grasshopper

I am having a similar problem, it would be a great idea if you guys at the Shaw team would develop the functionality of locking specific devices to a pod or the gateway, honestly the "automatic" settings are terrible, I'm ready to ditch wifi system and just replace with my own router.

Then all you would want is a range extender.

rstra
Grand Master

Then all you would want is a range extender. 

0 Kudos

Assigning devices to specific pods would really help. I h...

CDunn
Grasshopper

Assigning devices to specific pods would really help. I have devices that can't "see" each other because they are on a different pods even though it's the same network. My printer and computer are right beside each other, but can't communicate unless they are on the same pod. Unfortunately even though they don't physically move they seem to like to bounce around.

Assigning devices to specific pods would really help. I h...

CDunn
Grasshopper

Assigning devices to specific pods would really help. I have devices that can't "see" each other because they are on a different pods even though it's the same network. My printer and computer are right beside each other, but can't communicate unless they are on the same pod. Unfortunately even though they don't physically move they seem to like to bounce around.

These pods really suck, devices at same locations keep ch...

Lalabc
Grasshopper

These pods really suck, devices at same locations keep changing connecting pods and drop speed or lost signal.  Pods connect to each other instead of connecting to gateway directly.  

0 Kudos

--  Pods connect to each other instead of connecting to g...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lalabc --  Pods connect to each other instead of connecting to gateway directly

Correct. It is a "mesh" system. A pod should connect to the strongest signal.

For example, if your BlueCurve is at one end of a "rancher" style of house, and you have placed one pod in the middle of the house, and a second pod in the far end of the house, then the second pod will connect to the first pod -- probably because it cannot pickup any signal from the BlueCurve.

-- My printer and computer are right beside each other, b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CDunn -- My printer and computer are right beside each other, but can't communicate, unless they are on the same pod

Strange. If they really are side-by-side, they should have connected to the same pod (or to the BlueCurve). Are both devices "WiFi", or both using Ethernet cables, or one of each?

What "private" IP-addresses are assigned to each device? Presumably, both were given their IP-addresses from the BlueCurve.

From the computer, can you PING the IP-address of the printer?

TALK TO US
We're here to help