When you Bridge...

visiter555
Grasshopper

You lose the BC Wi-Fi and only ONE of the two ethernet ports on the BC works.  It doesnt matter which of the two ports you use, once it issues and IP to your "device" that's it.

It is a limitation of the Shaw setup, not the BC.  Other ISPs using these BCs have allowed two ethernet ports usable, the same way the HiTron boxes had four ethernets BUT in Bridge mode only two ports can receive an IP address.

Shaw support and sales staff are just not up to the technical level on any network background as related to the Shaw restricted BC modems.

A good analogy is:

What is the difference between a computer support person and a used car sales person?

The used car person KNOWS when they are LYING.   lol

0 Kudos

Thank you for this.  Makes it very clear. >In this config...

msilverton
Grasshopper

Thank you for this.  Makes it very clear.

>In this configuration, the BlueCurve will offer a wireless network, plus wireless connections to any Shaw "pods", and two "wired" ports: one to >your router, and one, if you want, to a computer that will be "isolated" from all the devices (such as a printer?) connected to your router.

Any way to have the wired computer print to the wireless (3rd party router)?

Mike

0 Kudos

> You lose the BC Wi-Fi and I agree. > only ONE of the tw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> You lose the BC Wi-Fi and

I agree.

> only ONE of the two Ethernet ports on the BC works. 

> It doesn't matter which of the two ports you use, once it issues and IP to your "device" that's it.

Not correct. 

Each Shaw customer gets two IP-addresses, and each customer must pay an additional monthly fee for an additional IP-address.

When you "bridge" the modem, two Ethernet ports on the modem are active.

0 Kudos

> Any way to have the wired computer print to the wireles...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Any way to have the wired computer print to the wireless (3rd party router)?

If the wired computer is wired to your router, and your printer is wirelessly connected to the same router, then the computer can communicate with the printer.

If the wired computer is wired directly to your "non-bridged" BlueCurve, and your printer is wirelessly directly connected to the BlueCurve router, then the computer can communicate with the printer.

If your printer is wirelessly connected to the BlueCurve router, then any computers connected (wired/wireless) to your router can, in theory, communicate with the printer, but that requires special configurations on the BlueCurve router to allow the network traffic:

Your computer -> your router -> BlueCurve -> Internet -> BlueCurve -> printer.

0 Kudos

Ive tried that, Shaw supposedly enabled the second ip, th...

graca
Grasshopper

Ive tried that, Shaw supposedly enabled the second ip, the modem is in bridge mode but one port on the blue curve modem is still offline, Only 1 port works...

0 Kudos

Nope, when you bridge A BC modem, one port become useless.

graca
Grasshopper

Nope, when you bridge a BC modem, one port becomes useless.

0 Kudos

This thread has gone in several different directions, so...

rstra
Grand Master

This thread has gone in several different directions, so I am not sure what you want to do. Anyway, yes, only one port on the BlueCurve will be active in Bridge mode. You would need to connect a switch to get the second IP.

0 Kudos

Is there a thread or a page explaining this? Shaw support...

graca
Grasshopper

Is there a thread or a page explaining this?

Shaw support didn't help, they told me first the modem needed to be replaced, then told me my dLink router wasn't working, then they finally told me I needed to manually assign the second ip to the router, then the guy got mad at me and ended the chat.

It was so easy to use a second ip with the old modems with ip pass-through... 

If anyone could shed a light on this issue that'd be great.

Cheers!

0 Kudos

-- I've tried that, Shaw supposedly enabled the second IP...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@graca -- I've tried that, Shaw supposedly enabled the second IP, the modem is in bridge mode, but one port on the BlueCurve modem is still offline, Only 1 port works.

@graca -- when you "bridge" a BlueCurve modem, one port becomes useless.

Contact Shaw (online-chat, or telephone) and request that a second IP-address be added to your account -- no monthly fee, as far as I know!

Once that is done, the second port will use the second IP-address.

If you want more "public" IP-addresses from Shaw, there is a monthly fee.

0 Kudos

On this thread, at 2020-01-31 09:30 AM,  wrote: We can pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

On this thread, at 2020-01-31 09:30 AM, @shaw-tony wrote:

We can provide one extra IP to the modem, free of charge.

This can only be enabled by contacting us.

Once it is enabled, and you bridge the BlueCurve modem, both ports are supplied an IP (address).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help