I ping the public ip, I use my phone's LTE network to pin...

graca
Grasshopper

I ping the public ip, I use my phone's LTE network to ping my shaw modem.

0 Kudos

>  Not according to the rep that was dealing with that sa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  Not according to the rep that @gracawas dealing with that said “the Blue Curve modem when it's bridged still grabs an ip for itself“

So, after all the discussions on every thread on this forum, about the inferior/incomplete training given to a Shaw "rep", you and @graca still have complete faith in the statement from that "rep" ?

Second, how can you tell that the BlueCurve has obtained an IP-address? While "bridged", can you still logon to its web-based interface? No. You have to "pin-hole-reset" to restore access to that interface.

Third, I said that it is a matter of "transition". Before it was bridged, it had both an IP-address and the TTL ("time to live") lease defining for how long that IP-address could be used.  After it is bridged, the lease (from Shaw's point-of-view) is still valid, until the lease expires.

> So, BC must be using the IP address for something.

Your conjecture is inaccurate, and you have not proven your argument.

You might try:

1. disconnect the coaxial-cable from the BlueCurve.
  2. do the "pin-hole-reset".
  3. logon to the device's web-interface.
  4. reconfigure it to "bridged" mode.
  5. power-off/power-on the BlueCurve.
  6. reconnect the coaxial-cable.
  7. connect one computer to an Ethernet port, and use the "IPCONFIG" command to show the IP-address that Shaw's DHCP-server has granted to the computer.
  8. connect another computer to the BlueCurve's other Ethernet port, and again use "IPCONFIG".

Report your results.

0 Kudos

> I ping the public ip, I use my phone's LTE network to p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I ping the public ip, I use my phone's LTE network to ping my shaw modem.

Yes, since the lease obtained when the BlueCurve was in "router" mode is still valid, from Shaw's point-of-view, your probes will be routed to the BlueCurve, and the BlueCurve responds.

0 Kudos

On this thread, at 2020-01-31 09:30 AM, shaw-tony wrote:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

On this thread, at 2020-01-31 09:30 AM, shaw-tony wrote:

We can provide one extra IP to the modem, free of charge.

This can only be enabled by contacting us.

Once it is enabled, and you bridge the BlueCurve modem, both ports are supplied an IP (address).

0 Kudos

Ok, this is my last comment on this topic, I am not here...

rstra
Grand Master

Ok, this is my last comment on this topic, I am not here to argue with with mdk and am frankly tired of it all.

“While "bridged", can you still logon to its web-based interface? No. You have to "pin-hole-reset" to restore access to that interface”

Please refer to the following page:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-configure-bridge-mode-on-the-bluecurve-gateway/t...

It states:

The Admin Tool is still accessible on the Gateway at http://10.0.0.1 while bridge mode is enabled.

Also on that page, there is no mention of having to add a second IP address. It may be a requirement, but it is not mentioned on that page and so it should be updated if it is true.

0 Kudos

@mdk  So, after all the discussions on every thread on th...

graca
Grasshopper

@mdk  So, after all the discussions on every thread on this forum, about the inferior/incomplete training given to a Shaw "rep", you and @graca still have complete faith in the statement from that "rep

=> Considering he is the first person I talk to that doesn't work on a call center and hasn't given me the usual "technical word salad" mixture reps use when they're trying to dismiss your case... Then yes I have more confidence in him. He has been coherent so far.

@mdk Second, how can you tell that the BlueCurve has obtained an IP-address? While "bridged", can you still logon to its web-based interface? No. You have to "pin-hole-reset" to restore access to that interface.

=> While it's "bridged" the web-based interface is still accessible, you don't have to reset the modem to bridge/un-bridge it.

---

As for your instructions:

Results:

Port 1: a public ip, internet operational;

Port 2: Autoconfiguration ip, no internet connection;

0 Kudos

graca
Grasshopper

0 Kudos

your issue may be related to the thread discussion here....

shaw-tony

@graca your issue may be related to the thread discussion here. I've connected your account with our engineer to send an update patch through. It will require a power reset (unplug the modem for one minute) to process the update. Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

FYI I got a basic Netgear 8 port 1GB switch. It worked ou...

peter_vg
Grasshopper

FYI I got a basic Netgear 8 port 1GB switch. It worked out of the box. Plugged one Cat ethernet cable into one of the Blue Curve ethernet ports  and the other end into one of the 8 switch ports. Then plugged four ethernet devices into the switch. All connected to router & internet without a restart. Blue Curve light is white not amber.

0 Kudos

-- Plugged one Cat ethernet cable The poor cat!  :-) If y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@peter_vg -- Plugged one Cat ethernet cable

The poor cat!  🙂

If you subscribe to anything faster than "Internet 75", be sure to use a "CAT-5e" or a "CAT-6" Ethernet cable, because a "CAT-5" cable maxes-out at 100 Mbps. I don't know if the BlueCurve shows "white" or "amber" for the faster speed.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help