It does not work for me either. I guess this Fibre modem...

Japistani
Grasshopper

It does not work for me either. I guess this Fibre modem is going back!

0 Kudos

Looks like we’re going to have to do the same...

Japistani
Grasshopper

Looks like we’re going to have to do the same...

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this user-to-user discussion forum. Please...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Japistani -- welcome to this user-to-user discussion forum.

Please provide specific details about your issue.

Be sure to use a "CAT 5E" or "CAT 6" Ethernet cable, to achieve speeds above 100 Mbps, because a "CAT 5" cable maxes-out at 100 Mbps.

Be sure that your computer has a 10/100/1000 network adapter, not just a 10/100 network adapter.

If you have a "hub" or "switch" or "router" between your computer and your cable-modem, be sure that the device has 10/100/1000 network ports, not just 10/100.

0 Kudos

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using all 5E cables,...

Japistani
Grasshopper

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using all 5E cables, a GIG switch and GIG network cards.

I did have an Orbi Wireless Mesh system so initially tried the BlueCurve modem bridged to allow for use of the Orbi, as I’d done in the previous setup.

However, in that configuration, the Orbi wasn’t giving valid IP addresses, so I unbridged it and removed the Orbi System to try and simplify.

But, I have a few devices which I “want” or basically need to have faster connections, those being 4K TV and PS5.

Right now, on Wifi, Netflix is saying I have a connection speed of 21.12mbps (on GIG service).

But, when I connect a the TV/PS5/Receiver through a switch connected through structured cabling to the Blue Curve modem, I have all sorts of reliability issues connecting to Wifi AND the wired connections only work very intermittently.

Do you know if getting an additional IP (apparently included if you ask) will allow me to use the switch properly?

0 Kudos

-- in that configuration, the Orbi wasn’t giving valid IP...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Japistani -- in that configuration, the Orbi wasn’t giving valid IP addresses,

After bridging the cable-modem, and powering-off (by removing the power-cord) and powering-on the cable-modem, it should have allowed the ORBI router to send a DHCP-request (to get a "public" IP-address) to Shaw's DHCP-server.

The ORBI router should provide "private" IP-address (like "192.168.xxx.yyy") to each of the wired/wireless devices that you connect to the ORBI.

> I have a few devices which I “want” or basically need to have faster connections, those being 4K TV and PS5.

By default, the TV should automatically connect via its "5G" adapter, for the faster connection to the ORBI.

> Right now, on Wifi, Netflix is saying I have a connection speed of 21.12mbps (on GIG service).

Users of Netflix (and ZOOM and SKYPE) don't need "ultra-fast" Internet for streaming -- 21 Mbps is probably 4 times faster than needed.

Use the Shaw Speed Test to determine the maximum speed that your cable-modem can provide.

> When I connect a the TV/PS5/Receiver through a switch connected through structured cabling to the Blue Curve modem, I have all sorts of reliability issues connecting to Wifi AND the wired connections only work very intermittently.

A "switch" is just a switch. It does not provide "private" IP-addresses. The correct configuration is:

Non-bridged BlueCurve <--> switch <----> multiple wired devices.

The wired devices get "private" IP-addresses from the BlueCurve, not from Shaw's DHCP-server.  Wireless devices connect directly to the WiFi adapter inside the non-bridged BlueCurve, and get "private" IP-addresses.

> Do you know if getting an additional IP (apparently included if you ask) will allow me to use the switch properly?

It will not, because a "switch" (or a "hub") will not ask Shaw's DHCP-server for an IP-address. However, if you connect a "router", it will obtain a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server, and your BlueCurve will also obtain a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server.

If 21mbps is 4x faster than I need for 4K Netflix streami...

Japistani
Grasshopper

If 21mbps is 4x faster than I need for 4K Netflix streaming, why is it lagging so badly and look so bad?

Also, if that’s the case, why would anyone need GIG service? My internet speeds at all of my devices were faster with the “regular” 300 internet I had up until yesterday.

0 Kudos

You need about 25mb for 4k streaming.

rstra
Grand Master

@Japistani You need about 25mb for 4k streaming.

0 Kudos

Hmm... ok. So, what does anyone need GIG internet for the...

Japistani
Grasshopper

Hmm... ok. So, what does anyone need GIG internet for then? To run (40) 4K streams concurrently?

0 Kudos

I don’t know. Who needs a car that goes 180mph?

rstra
Grand Master

@Japistani I don’t know. Who needs a car that goes 180mph?

0 Kudos

Haha. Me.

Japistani
Grasshopper

Haha. Me.

TALK TO US
We're here to help