-- why is it lagging so badly and look so bad? You said i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Japistani -- why is it lagging so badly and look so bad?

You said it is getting slower and slower.  I would finger-point at your disk-drive as getting near "retirement", and, doing I/O at a maximum of 1.5 Gbps, where a SSD could do it 4 times as fast, and without any "rotational delay" that any "spinning" disk-drive has.

Start the Windows "Task Manager" while watching something on Netflix. Switch to its "Performance" tab. Is your CPU showing 100% busy? Is your disk-drive showing long response-times? How fast is your computer actually receiving the stream from the Internet?

What happens if you switch from "4K" Netflix to "standard" Netflix? Still having audio/video artifacts?

> what does anyone need GIG internet for ?

Not for "one" user per home, but for the needs of multiple "boomerang" children, who now are young-adults, working-from-YOUR-home.

0 Kudos

Slower and Slower? Sorry. If I did say that, that was a m...

Japistani
Grasshopper

Slower and Slower? Sorry. If I did say that, that was a mistake. It’s just slower on wireless than it was wired with my old modem. And I “had” to use wireless because I was having issues running wired with the XB6, which was NOT an issue with the “OLD” modem.

Disk Drive? No, this was on my TV, which is only a few months old.

All of these problems were using the XB6 modem I received yesterday. I went to a store today and got an XB7 which “knock on wood” seems to be better. It doesn’t seem to have issues with my switch, at least yet...

The only thing I’ve noticed is that my phone seemed to always connect to 5ghz with the XB6 and seems always connect to 2.4 with the XB7, so my Speedtests are coming up SIGNIFICANTLY slower on my phone. But, other than seeing the lower speeds in Speedtest, haven’t experienced any performance lags on phone.

0 Kudos

-- It’s just slower on wireless than it was wired with my...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Japistani -- It’s just slower on wireless than it was wired with my old modem

What protocol does your wireless network adapter use? "Wireless G" (maximum of 56 Mbps) or "Wireless N" (maximum of 150 Mbps) or "Wireless AC" (up to 1200 Mbps) ?

What speed does your Ethernet use? 10? 10/100? 10/100/1000 ?

What speed do you get from Shaw? 300 Mbps? 600? 750? 1000? 1500 ?

There definitely will be a "bottleneck" within both your network adapters, if you have "Shaw Gig 1.5" service. There may be "bottlenecks" at lower levels of service.

0 Kudos

I’m getting 1GIG from Shaw and get very close to that on...

Japistani
Grasshopper

I’m getting 1GIG from Shaw and get very close to that on my computer, which is wired (1000) now that the switch “seems” to be working ok.

The TV is apparently a 10/100, so that explains the issue there.

As long as the switch doesn’t have issues, I think we can consider this whole thing to be “solved”... although, I guess I don’t really “need” the GIG service...

0 Kudos

--  I guess I don’t really “need” the GIG service One adv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Japistani --  I guess I don’t really “need” the GIG service

One advantage: if you subscribe to Shaw Mobile, and have "Fibre+ Gig" service, you will pay $25/month for unlimited talk/text, with 25 GB of "data". If you subscribe to Shaw Mobile, but have slower Internet (300? 750?), you will pay less for your Internet, but $45/month (plus taxes) for the same package.

Thanks! I’ll look into it!

Japistani
Grasshopper

Thanks! I’ll look into it!

0 Kudos

and  Was hoping you can assist. I bought Netgear GS308v3...

JcKobeLiam
Grasshopper

@peter_vgand @mdk Was hoping you can assist. I bought Netgear GS308v3 8 Port switch and I cant seem to make it work. Box says its plug and play and thats what I did. Connect 1 port to Shaw Modem and the other end to my switch and from the switch I connect a secondary router. I have wifi from my BC but no internet connection from the secondary router. Shaw rep added a secondary IP to my unit. I also tried to factory reset my BC and still no luck. Any idea? My apology as my knowledge about this stuff is very basic. 

0 Kudos

Nope

chadt5382
Grasshopper

Nope

0 Kudos

--- Use an Ethernet cable to connect from the secondary...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JcKobeLiam  ---

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect from the secondary router to a Windows computer.
  2. On the Windows computer, hold-down the "Windows" key (bottom-left of your keyboard).
  3. Tap "R" just once, and release the "Windows" key.
  4. Into the small window that opens, type: CMD and press Enter.
  5. Into the mostly-black window that opens, type IPCONFIG and press Enter.
  6. Any error message? Maybe, "not connected" ?
  7. If not, look for output like:  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10 and Default Gateway  . . .  192.168.0.1
  8. Any IP-addresses that do not start with "192.168" indicate a problem.
  9. Temporarily, use an Ethernet cable to connect the "WAN" (or "uplink") port on the secondary router to one of the two Ethernet ports on the BlueCurve.
  10. The computer should now have Internet access. If not, you have a problem. Try a different Ethernet cable.
  11. Disconnect both the Ethernet cables from the secondary router.
  12. Use an Ethernet cable from the BlueCurve to one of the ports on the Netgear switch.
  13. Use an Ethernet cable from another port on the Netgear switch to the computer.
  14. Shutdown and restart the computer.
  15. Repeat #2 through #6, from above.
  16. This time, look for IP-addresses that start with "10.0.0". If not, you have a problem.
  17. You should have Internet access for your computer.
  18. Disconnect your computer from the Netgear.
  19. Connect the WAN port on the secondary-router to the Netgear.
  20. Connect the computer to a LAN port on the secondary router.
  21. Shutdown and restart the computer, and see if it has Internet access.

Or, try completing the following:

Capture.JPG

Good luck!

Thank you. I will try this and report back.

JcKobeLiam
Grasshopper

@mdk 

Thank you. I will try this and report back.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help