That's what I did and 6 hours later on a web chat with te...

graca
Grasshopper

@mdk 

That's what I did and 6 hours later on a web chat with tech support.... nothing. One port is still dead.

The first agent blamed my router, the second or third agent said I had to manually configure the ip.

Yes I talked to at least 3 people on the chat, the last agent ended the chat and gave me the "everything on our end is fine" routine.

I called the next day, one of the tech agents told me the ip is static, (non sense) I had to configure it manually, got transferred to some department long story short someone hang up the phone on me.

I called the (what I think is) the CEO's phone number,  it rang once and someone answered blazing fast! She took my information and someone (not from a call center) called me back...

This is the sixth tech agent I talked to. He told me I need a switch, I bought it. No luck so far, he asked me to call him back tomorrow at 6 am.

Passing the buck at its finest!

Shaw Blue Curve, comes with a tech support better than a Mexican Soap Opera. I can't wait for the final episode.

Shaw Blue Curve is the future of the internet, unless you need two ip's, then you're sooooooo screwed...

If you I have setup bridge mode according to the instruct...

rstra
Grand Master

If you I have setup bridge mode according to the instructions here, and they have added the second ip, everything should work. I wonder if it may need a reset and start over?

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-configure-bridge-mode-on-the-bluecurve-gateway/t...

0 Kudos

-- One port is still dead.  The first agent blamed my rou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@graca -- One port is still dead.  The first agent blamed my router ...

Disconnect all devices, including your router, from the two ports on the BlueCurve. Power-off/power-on the BlueCurve, and let it fully reboot.

Connect one computer to the first Ethernet port. Do you get a green (100 mbps) or an orange (1000 mbps) light on the lamp beside the Ethernet port that you just connected? Do you get a green or an orange light on the lamp beside the network socket on your computer? Use the Windows command-line utility "IPCONFIG" to show the IP-address that Shaw's DHCP-server has assigned to the computer. 

Connect another computer to the second Ethernet port. Do you get a green (100 mbps) or an orange (1000 mbps) light on the lamp beside the Ethernet port that you just connected? Do you get a green or an organge light on the lamp beside the network socket on your computer? Use the Windows command-line utility "IPCONFIG" to show the IP-address that Shaw's DHCP-server has assigned to the computer. 

The first half of the two IP-addresses should be identical. Correct? 

Now, use the "IPCONFIG /RELEASE" command on each computer.

If you get this far, power-off the BlueCurve. Disconnect one computer from the BlueCurve, connect your router to that Ethernet port on the router, and power-on the BlueCurve., and wait for it to fully reboot. Power-on your router, and wait for your router to fully reboot.  What are the colours of the lamps at each of that Ethernet cable?

Connect the just-removed computer to one of the "LAN" ports on your router. Logon to the router's web-server, and get the IP-address assigned by Shaw's DHCP-server to the "WAN" port on your router. Is the first half of that IP-address a match for the other 2 IP-addresses?

0 Kudos

I finally had a straight answer from Shaw: It can't be do...

graca
Grasshopper

I finally had a straight answer from Shaw: It can't be done.

The Blue Curve modem when it's bridged still grabs an ip for itself. The other one goes to either of the ports.

If you need 2 ip's you have to downgrade to Internet 300 and use the older modems or request a third Ip $10 a month.

@mdk I've done those steps many times, one port is always dead, one ip will always be assigned to the modem, even if when it's bridged.

0 Kudos

Is your BlueCurve also your TV gateway?

rstra
Grand Master

Is your BlueCurve also your TV gateway? I am trying to figure out what the BlueCurve is going with the IP address.

0 Kudos

> The Blue Curve modem when it's bridged still grabs an i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The Blue Curve modem when it's bridged still grabs an ip for itself.

It's all in the "transition".  When the BlueCurve is in "router" mode, it has sent a DHCP-request to Shaw's DHCP-server. The response from the DHCP-server has two main components: an IP-address, and a "lease". That lease tells the BlueCurve for how long that the BlueCurve is entitled to use the IP-address -- compare to renting a hotel-room for one night -- you must check-out after that time. 

When you transition the BlueCurve to "bridged" mode, that lease to use the IP-address still is valid (from Shaw's point-of-view). So, yes, The BlueCurve still has the right to use that IP-address, until the lease expires, but, in "bridged" mode, it does not use that IP-address, and it does not issue any "DHCP-renew" request to Shaw.

Example (obfuscated):

Wan Dhcp Information

WAN IP Address       196.514.2251.1124/22
Gateway IP Address 196.514.2250.1
Lease Time                172800

172800 / 60 ==> 2880 minutes

2880 / 60 ====> 48 hours

So, if you wait a maximum of 48 hours, the IP-address assigned to the BlueCurve will become invalid, and the second IP-address will become available to the second LAN port on the BlueCurve.

0 Kudos

>  I am trying to figure out what The BlueCurve is [doing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I am trying to figure out what The BlueCurve is [doing] with the IP address.

Nothing. It obtained the IP-address before it was "bridged", and the Shaw-granted lease of the IP-address is still valid, until the lease expires (without being renewed).

0 Kudos

Not according to the rep that graca was dealing with that...

rstra
Grand Master

Not according to the rep that graca was dealing with that said “the Blue Curve modem when it's bridged still grabs an ip for itself“

So, BC must be using the IP address for something. People that I know that have bridged their BC haven’t had to request a second ip. The BC gets bridged, plug in your own router and you are good to go, you don’t need to wait for the dhcp to expire.

0 Kudos

I'ts probably doing something because you can ping the mo...

graca
Grasshopper

I'ts probably doing something because you can ping the modem even when it's bridged.

0 Kudos

Are you pinging a public IP address or the local 10.0.0,1...

rstra
Grand Master

Are you pinging a public IP address or the local 10.0.0,1 address? 

If what they told you is accurate, then Shaw needs to update their instructions for bridging a B.C. modem, to include that one has to get a second freeip added to their account,

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help