Jump to solution

Hello - trying to do the same setup that you have - I fol...

MikeinVan
Grasshopper

Hello - trying to do the same setup that you have - I followed along but I am not getting a green light on the mocha connection.  Lan and power are getting green lights.  When I do the exact same setup (using go coax with 2 coax connections and a shaw bluecurve) it doesn't seem to send the mocha signal.  any advice?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Should the router side of the mocha adapters show the moc...

MikeinVan
Grasshopper

Should the router side of the mocha adapters show the mocha light being green before you plug in the second adapter?  It's not green on the adapter by the modem/router or the one by my computer. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am planning to use the MoCA functionality of the XB6 Mo...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

I am planning to use the MoCA functionality of the XB6 Modem, so I can connect a Desktop PC via hardline in a room where no direct ethernet connection exists. I ordered one MoCA Adapter on Amazon and it is currently en route. I will provide an update on my experience once the adapter arrives. One thing I am unsure about is if I will need a MoCA filter or not. My modem is situated at the first splitter point. Behind the wall where the coax connection comes in from the outside, there is a splitter. One of the outputs connects to my XB6 modem while the other output is for the various other coax connections in the house. So the MoCA filter thing is something else I will have to investigate.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, you will need a MoCA filter on the line coming in to...

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24 Yes, you will need a MoCA filter on the line coming in to the house. Let us know how it goes, I have been meaning to do this but was planning on using two adapters.

Jump to solution

That makes it a bit more involved process than I was thin...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra That makes it a bit more involved process than I was thinking! I'm not totally sure where to put the filter in. There is the "cable service panel" on the outside of my house, would I put the MoCA filter in there? Or would I just get into the wall to get access to the initial splitter and put the filter on there?

Part of me thinks there may be a MoCA filter already in place. I used to have Gateway system before switching to BlueCurve TV (formerly BlueSky), and when the technician came to install the Gateway they installed one MoCA filter at the end of the Coax line that went into my cable modem. So I think they might have also installed another MoCA filter where the line comes into my house from the street. Since the Gateway PVR and its Portals would communicate over a MoCA network, two MoCA filters would have likely needed to be installed (one where the line comes into the home from the street, and another at the coax line that connects to the cable modem). The MoCA filter for the cable modem no longer exists, since I don't have the Gateway system anymore, but if one was installed where the line comes in then it would still be there.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

There is a good chance that there is a filter in the box...

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24 There is a good chance that there is a filter in the box outside. Do you still have BlueCurve TV, and is it the older version with the separate PVR, or it the wireless BlueCurve TV?

Jump to solution

I still have BlueCurve TV and it is the 1st Gen system (w...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra I still have BlueCurve TV and it is the 1st Gen system (wired).

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Ok, I am sure the installer would have placed the filter...

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24  Ok, I am sure the installer would have placed the filter in the box. You should be fine. Your BlueCurve TV also uses MoCA, but Shaw is now more concerned about that signal going back out to their plant, than they are about MoCA signal affecting non-MOCA equipment in the house.

Jump to solution

Since the 1st Gen BlueCurve TV also uses MoCA, it will be...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@rstra Since the 1st Gen BlueCurve TV also uses MoCA, it will be interesting to see if the BlueCurve TV MoCA network interferes with the MoCA network being used by the MoCA adapters.

I was debating on whether to get two MoCA adapters so that I could keep my XB6 modem in bridge mode. However, I decided to just get one adapter, un-bridge the modem, and set my ASUS Router into AP mode so that it disables the routing/DHCP functionality. Also had to disable the Wi-Fi Networks on the XB6.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I think you should be able to run the two networks, it co...

rstra
Grand Master

@ColtonW24 I think you should be able to run the two networks, it could affect throughput, but, worse case is you have to get another MoCA adapter.

TALK TO US
We're here to help