Jump to solution

Blue Curve Technicolor Gateway and Control4 or any external wired LAN

ABG
Grasshopper

Hi there, I've just installed a new Blue Curve total package using the Technicolor Gateway, a set of pods and wireless TV boxes.  It is working well, quite happy with it.  It is replacing our 5 year old Control4 network for internet and cable distribution throughout the house but I still wish to use the Control4 for distributing audio/ lighting and security features.  In the past, with the Hitron modem the Control4 system was just plugged into the modem/router and worked fine without any changes.  I still need internet going into the Control4 to get some of my online audio distributed... that's the main thing I'm having trouble with.  Summary- Blue Curve working great for TV and Internet, Control4 network still there, Control4 network not getting internet from Blue Curve gateway even when plugged in to Gateway.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> For some reason, there can be a time delay when setting...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> For some reason, there can be a time delay when setting up ...

When a response to a DHCP-request is received, the response contains the IP-address to be used, plus a TTL ("time to live") value, which specifies a "lease" (just like an apartment-rental lease) for which the IP-address is allowed to be used.

So, if a device has obtained an IP-address, it probably is necessary to power-off/power-on the device, to force it to discard the previous IP-address (and TTL), and to send a new DHCP-request.  If the device is not powered-off/powered-on, when the lease "expires" -- maybe that 30 minutes -- a new DHCP-request will be sent, and a new DHCP-response will be received, and the device will "suddenly" work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jump to solution

> Control4 network not getting internet from Blue Curve g...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Control4 network not getting internet from Blue Curve gateway even when plugged in to Gateway.

If you connect a computer to that same Ethernet cable, and plug the Ethernet cable into the BlueCurve, does the computer obtain an IP-address?

If you login to the BlueCurve's web-server, do you see that the computer has been assigned an IP-address?

Does swapping-out the Ethernet cable make any difference?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks!  Will try and report back.

ABG
Grasshopper

Thanks!  Will try and report back.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It worked!  Tested on some Sonos speakers first.  For som...

ABG
Grasshopper

It worked!  Tested on some Sonos speakers first.  For some reason there can be a time delay when setting up (1/2 hour... I have no idea why but it just hooked in all of a sudden).  Put it from Shaw gateway to Apple airport (that’s how it was set up previously) to Control4 and appear to have internet access on my Control4 now.  Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> For some reason, there can be a time delay when setting...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> For some reason, there can be a time delay when setting up ...

When a response to a DHCP-request is received, the response contains the IP-address to be used, plus a TTL ("time to live") value, which specifies a "lease" (just like an apartment-rental lease) for which the IP-address is allowed to be used.

So, if a device has obtained an IP-address, it probably is necessary to power-off/power-on the device, to force it to discard the previous IP-address (and TTL), and to send a new DHCP-request.  If the device is not powered-off/powered-on, when the lease "expires" -- maybe that 30 minutes -- a new DHCP-request will be sent, and a new DHCP-response will be received, and the device will "suddenly" work.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help