BlueCurve gateway bridge not giving IP to VM

tjcstuart
Grasshopper

Running pfsense as a VM on an ESXi host. When I put my modem into bridge mode the pfsense VM would not get an IP. Direct connecting a laptop worked fine though.

Anyone know what I need to configure on my VM so it will get the IP from SHAW?

ESXi is configured with a vswitch for the WAN interface, but the only thing on that vswitch is this VM so it should be the only MAC address reporting. I could be doing this wrong though. 

I know I could try passing the NIC though and that might help, but I'd prefer not to, as it's a quad NIC card. I'm sure I can just pass a single NIC on the quad card through.

Labels (1)
6 Replies

-- When I put my modem into bridge mode, the pfsense VM w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tjcstuart -- When I put my modem into bridge mode, the pfsense VM would not get an IP. Direct connecting a laptop worked fine.

By default, you get just one "public" IP-address from Shaw, and you can ask for a second "public" IP-address, at no cost.

So, that "one" IP-address is either assigned to the laptop, or the ESXi host.

Does your VM "host" system run its own DHCP-server, for requests from your VM(s), or are you expecting Shaw's DNS-server to give you an IP-address?

I hope this helps.

I don't need a second IP. The laptop was just to confirm...

tjcstuart
Grasshopper

I don't need a second IP. The laptop was just to confirm I was able to get an IP at all when bridged. 

The host is not running DHCP. 1 of the VMs is running a DHCP server, pfsense, on its LAN interface. But the WAN interface is only linked to this 1 pfsense VM. My guess is my issue is around MAC addresses. I'm guessing shaw is seeing a different mac than my VMs WAN interface. But I don't know what/where so I'm not sure what to clone. 

0 Kudos

-- I don't need a second IP. Well, if your DHCP-client co...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tjcstuart -- I don't need a second IP.

Well, if your DHCP-client connects to Shaw's DNS-server, you will need to be provisioned by Shaw to have a second IP-address.

>  I don't know what/where so I'm not sure what to clone

What are the first few lines from the Windows command-line utility:  ROUTE -4 PRINT

That should list the MAC-addresses for each IPv4 address.

0 Kudos

pfsense is running on linux, not windows.  my end goal is...

tjcstuart
Grasshopper

pfsense is running on linux, not windows. 

my end goal is single cable from modem to ESXi and that link is what will be the WAN for pfsense. 

Not sure why I'd need 2 public IP's if I only plan to have 1 device actually on the internet, everything else will be behind that device. I'm requesting the second one as I type this, but am sure I'm still missing something as I don't understand why I'd need 2 IP's.

0 Kudos

Did you ever figure this out? I can confirm that I have t...

QuintinG
Grasshopper

Did you ever figure this out? I can confirm that I have the same issue. I have 2 devices on Shaw - 1 is my main firewall, and then one goes to my physical VMWare host. I cannot get internet access over Shaw...but I can over BellMTS...I have also tried a Hyper-V host just to test, and the same issue. On that box, if I configure the physical network adapter for Shaw, it works fine. If I make a V-Switch, and configure it for the network adapter plugged into Shaw, I get nothing. If you have solved this, I would appreciate knowing what the issue was. Thanks!

0 Kudos

I figured it out! I know this is an old post, but just in case this helps someone...

QuintinG
Grasshopper

I figured it out! I know this is an old post, but just is case anyone else is looking. It seems Shaw blocks the MAC addresses assigned by virtual environments, so you need to find the MAC address of your physical network adapter, and then statically assign that to the virtual network adapter on your VM!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help