>  new modem ... has to be put into bridge mode. > This m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  new modem ... has to be put into bridge mode.

> This meant I had to purchase my own wifi router in order to access the 2nd IP.

Not correct. One can use "Passthrough" on the cable-modem to allow one Ethernet port to obtain a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DNS-server. There is no monthly fee for having a 2nd IP-address, but there is for having 3 or more.

0 Kudos

Shaw has been absolutely appalling with this new modem. W...

amcampbell88
Grasshopper

Shaw has been absolutely appalling with this new modem. What is the point of having speeds over 150 if you can't have control of the **bleep** modem. The hoops I had to jump thru just to get access to port forwarding (which by the way still don't work)... I am supper pissed with shaw right now and am looking at switching to telus or other smaller provider. While on a chat with tec support I actually had the **bleep** tec tell me I should go buy a router from best-buy an then tell me he had to leave and good by mid trouble shooting.

Shaw Bluecurve modems lack a few settings. You can NOT ch...

VLFberht
Grasshopper

Shaw Bluecurve modems lack a few settings.

You can NOT change DNS settings at all

You can NOT partition your network AT ALL.

They have no Guest Network.

What you can do is, put the gateway into bridge mode.  Use a 3rd party router.  I use the Linksys EA9500 router.  Would be nice if Shaw would update their routers, or a BIOS update.

0 Kudos

Yes, this is unacceptable. I will be cancelling.

otnooishphoo
Grasshopper

Yes, this is unacceptable. I will be cancelling.

-- this is unacceptable. I will be cancelling. Please giv...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@otnooishphoo -- this is unacceptable. I will be cancelling.

Please give us some more details.

Port-forwarding through the BlueCurve app should work.

If you are using Windows on your computer, check that the Windows firewall is not blocking "unsolicited" incoming traffic.

Also, if you leave your BlueCurve in "router" mode, so that you can use your WiFi-based remote TV receivers.

Connect your own router, and configure it to use your choice of DNS-servers.

Change the WiFi password for the BlueCurve, and don't give it out. Instead, force your family to connect to the WiFi within your own router.

0 Kudos

Or just stop being dumb and ruining it for the rest of us?

wandering
Grasshopper

Or just stop being dumb and ruining it for the rest of us?

Your dns queries do worth money.

oncinc
Grasshopper

0 Kudos

-- Your DNS queries do [are?] worth money. When your comp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@oncinc -- Your DNS queries do [are?] worth money.

When your computer sends a DNS-request, it goes to Shaw's DNS-server(s).

If Shaw's DNS-server cannot "authoritatively" answer your request, Shaw's DNS-server sends a DNS-request to an "authoritative" DNS-server, but that request does NOT contain any personal information, e.g., your IP-address, about you. When Shaw's DNS-server receives the response, it forwards the response to your computer.

So, if there is an "intelligence gathering", only Shaw's DNS-servers can do it. Any other "upstream" DNS-servers do not receive any of your personal information.

So, either you trust Shaw, or you do not trust Shaw.

0 Kudos

It is not the trust issue. People want to use other DNS s...

kzwong
Grasshopper

It is not the trust issue. People want to use other DNS server like openDNS to do web filtering etc. I guess you could use your own router and set the modem in the bridge mode. But  the modem 's wifi feature will be disabled in that mode. You have get your own WIFI device.

If you really want to change the DNS, do that and go out and buy a set of Mesh Access points.( two of three devices in a bundle, not that expensive, cheaper than renting the pods from Shaw in the long run)  They are must better than Shaw modem with pods. You will get a lot more features and controls.

From Shaw's standpoint or any ISP's for that matter, they...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

From Shaw's standpoint or any ISP's for that matter, they expect users to either trust them or simply don't care about privacy (it's usually the latter).

Just look at Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram. Only a select few care these days. But when their privacy is breached, they usually have a change of attitude.  It's like covidiots who suffer terrible symptoms. Only then do they change their mindset. If they're like McDonald Trump who recovered due to the best treatments only available to the President, they will be dismissive.

More importantly, ISPs want to have as much control as possible on their equipment. Each new modem/router release has fewer user settings. It's a very privileged and arrogant attitude to say "go buy your own router". Sure, I'll do that, will you pay for it? Decent routers aren't cheap. Like with covidiots, you will always have antagonists online especially social media. This community is no exception. These people know who they are and seemingly can't stop themselves from replying to every single thread.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help